• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kalitta New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This has likely been answered before and I am sorry if it is a repeat. Does where you live have an impact on where you fly for Kalitta? I understand that everyone is home-based.

However, if you live on the West Coast, are you more likely to fly Pacific flights vs. Europe/Middle East flights (and vice versa for pilots living on the East Coast)? That said, how often does a pilot living on the West Coast hit Europe and Middle East destinations? I realize that a Kalitta pilot could end up flying to any destination at any time. Just trying to understand how likely you would fly one route vs. another.

Good job on the new TA!

You get an SIC Type........

Guam
Where did you stay during initial trng? I'll be at Extended Stay America. Any idea how it is there?
Hey Buff,
I stayed at the Candlewood as did about 8 others. I think 4 in our class stayed at the Extended stay.The eventually came to our hotel for the free pizza on wednesdays and studied with us, right Birddog.

On your six, I am not flying the line now, but we asked that question in class and they said about what you asked, a guy living on the east coast is more likely going to start in EWR/JFK, for example, but may actually start anywhere...

Hey Buff,
I stayed at the Candlewood as did about 8 others. I think 4 in our class stayed at the Extended stay.The eventually came to our hotel for the free pizza on wednesdays and studied with us, right Birddog.

On your six, I am not flying the line now, but we asked that question in class and they said about what you asked, a guy living on the east coast is more likely going to start in EWR/JFK, for example, but may actually start anywhere...

exactly what he said.

On your six, I am not flying the line now, but we asked that question in class and they said about what you asked, a guy living on the east coast is more likely going to start in EWR/JFK, for example, but may actually start anywhere...[/quote]

The last few months I have actually been sent to the start of my line...no joke. Sure the line got all screwed up and I did something totally different three days in, but they did send me to the start of my line. The whole Sched. department has been turned upside down (for the better) since MR left.

-Showtime

Junkflyer - are you saying no flight pay in OE?

Buff - see ya in class!

No flight pay for OE.
$600/wk starts on day one of GS and continues uninterrupted until completion of OE (aka successful line check).
Hotel provided during initial simulator, then hotel plus perdiem diring OE.

Also, many battles fought over the company honoring bid lines and the "let's make a deal" program that some parties (on both sides) operate under. That really is a large contributor to lines not being honored, because guys continually get displaced from their lines. Hopefully the new CBA will settle some of that.
You get a line award by virtue of seniority. You should start your line as awarded. If you get an east coast line, you should begin that line. And vice versa. Being junior, you may end up being assigned to a line because you couldn't hold any of your choices.

Anyhow, if a west coast trip needs to be covered, the west coast guys usually get first crack because they're close. Same applies if you're located anywhere else when the need arises.

Last edited:
I stayed at the Extended stay and had no problems, save for two false fire alarms. Not as nice as the Candlewood, but $10/night cheaper, and closer to the school house. It has the added benefit of being east of YIP, so you don't have to worry about traffic in the morning or evening. For the money saved, it is worth the occasional drive to Ann Arbor to scam free food during study.

What are your schedules like and what does upgrade time look like?
Upgrade time is running about 2 year and a few months - lets say 2.25 years. Schedules are brutal - 17 days of work in a row with 13 or 14 (depending on the month) off in a row.

Latest resources

Back