Kalitta / Atlas Air lifestyle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

restart

Can anybody provide me some information pertaining to the lifestyle of Kalitta / Atlas pilots. Specifically, I'm looking for trip lengths, days off, etc. How is it commuting when you are "home based"?

Coming from the Regionals, all I know is flying round trips on 4 day pairings.

I appreciate any information you can provide!

Its been awhile since I flew for KA, Great guys to fly with, pay sucked, but apperently they got a raise a few years ago. The biggest thing is to find a way to deal with jet lag, messed up sleeping patterns and weird food. Bacon and eggs in JFK, then a cucumber sandwhich in Brussels then schwarma in the middle east. By the time you get to Hong Kong all you want is real food. i once paid $28 for a hamburger and fries. (austrailian beef) man was it good.

A D.O. from a previous company replied to me when I asked him the same question that there is only really one way to know if you can handle it, and that is to do it.

BTW, after a few months every airport starts to look the same: 10,000 feet x 200 feet wide.

Best of luck.

I've been online at an ACMI for 3 months.

Trip lengths have varied from 8 to 16 days. The average has been about 14. It is much better than a regional in my opinion, because you don't have to worry about commuting or crash-pads no matter where you live and are based. Sometimes you get 14 or 15 consecutive days off in a month, which is better than a vacation at most airlines.

Commuting? There really is none. You get assigned a trip and they fly you via positive space airline from where you live to wherever that trip starts. They get you there 9 hours prior to departure and provide you with a hotel room (assuming you don't live where the trip starts).

Days off? They get you for 17 days, extendable up to 20. Some months I've only worked 15-16 days. The trips, to me, go quickly. I have more time off than I know what to do with. 1st year take home Pay is commensurate with 7th year RJ captain at my previous job (~$5,000/month net).

There is less stress in my opinion....1 leg every 2 days instead of 5 every day. No flight attendant drama. No whiny passengers. Good airplanes. Friendly crews.

I've been online at an ACMI for 3 months.

Trip lengths have varied from 8 to 16 days. The average has been about 14. It is much better than a regional in my opinion, because you don't have to worry about commuting or crash-pads no matter where you live and are based. Sometimes you get 14 or 15 consecutive days off in a month, which is better than a vacation at most airlines.

Commuting? There really is none. You get assigned a trip and they fly you via positive space airline from where you live to wherever that trip starts. They get you there 9 hours prior to departure and provide you with a hotel room (assuming you don't live where the trip starts).

Days off? They get you for 17 days, extendable up to 20. Some months I've only worked 15-16 days. The trips, to me, go quickly. I have more time off than I know what to do with. 1st year take home Pay is commensurate with 7th year RJ captain at my previous job (~$5,000/month net).

There is less stress in my opinion....1 leg every 2 days instead of 5 every day. No flight attendant drama. No whiny passengers. Good airplanes. Friendly crews.

That must be worth its weight in gold right there .

PHXFLYR:cool:

That must be worth its weight in gold right there .

PHXFLYR:cool:

I always see guys posting this stuff on the web boards about FA's...and for the most part it's true they create A LOT of their own problems (and as a consequence MY problems). I don't go a month however without flying with some guy who's having a fling with an FA and "she's meeting him here" or He's meeting her there" or bla bla bla bla....I just smile and give him that "way to go man!" nod while thinking to myself "you stupid bumbling fool"...

It's interesting because most of these guys fly a good airplane but obviously have no common sense...

Most flight attendants are self-centered cat-ranchers with a greatly inflated sense of their professional worth. And what's worse, they bore me in 5 seconds flat.

ACMI is simple....go to work on day 1...go home on day 17. What happens in between should be of no concern. If you get wound up about sh!t changing every 2 hours then it is not for you. If you could care less that you are going to go to Bahrain instead of Hong Kong, then you will fit in well.

I would guess that heavy time is quite preferred for ACMI jobs, but how would someone with about 4000 or so total, but with 1000+ Turbine PIC (C90, B200, Shorts) and a lot of international flying experience (been based for in Asia, Africa, Middle East). My only time in anything remotely heavy would be in DC-4 and DC-7... :)

Latest resources

Back