• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

KAL non type rated 777 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pretty sad thing to read. I suppose it's hard for a person of that gentleman's age to be treated like a total newbie. I recently interviewed at another regional airline and was treated at best like about a 300hr fresh CFI that just came out of a C172 and not like an airline pilot who's been flying the exact aircraft this other regional flies for two years with no problems. And I'm only 33, I can imagine what it must be like to be 56 and be treated like crap.

Pretty sad thing to read. I suppose it's hard for a person of that gentleman's age to be treated like a total newbie. I recently interviewed at another regional airline and was treated at best like about a 300hr fresh CFI that just came out of a C172 and not like an airline pilot who's been flying the exact aircraft this other regional flies for two years with no problems. And I'm only 33, I can imagine what it must be like to be 56 and be treated like crap.

I think the point you are missing is that he brought most of his problems on himself. That's not to say that I defend Korean's training style or the fact that they have certain check airman who might be less than 100% professional.

What I am saying is that attitude as an expat is just as important, if not more so, than ability. That particular pilot very clearly had a negative attitude and was not willing to adapt to KAL's culture. He was judgmental, argumentative, and unaccepting of the way that KAL wanted him to operate the aircraft.

TP

It seems that the stories I've heard from a couple of guys there at KAL are similar to what you hear here at ANA, some guys go through it without much drama and others find themselves in a couch talking about their childhoods.

What I am saying is that attitude as an expat is just as important, if not more so, than ability. That particular pilot very clearly had a negative attitude and was not willing to adapt to KAL's culture. He was judgmental, argumentative, and unaccepting of the way that KAL wanted him to operate the aircraft.

I don't disagree. I just think as one ages and gets more and more experience, it becomes harder and harder to "adapt to another culture". Especially if said culture leaves a lot to be desired.

Word of caution with Asian carriers...they are absolutely by the book and take standardization to the 'nth degree. If the FCOM says the response is 'CHECK' and you respond 'CHECKS' or 'CHECKED' it is grounds to stop the sim...and they do.

Our instructor stopped the sim one day and showed us that the calls for the flight controls check had the word aileron only once "ailerons left, right" (I said ailerons left, ailerons right) after we had passed our first JCAB check ride we went out with him for a few frosty beverages, he explained to us that they were very strict on the calls because that was the only way that crews from different native languages and heavy accents could interact not only during normal ops but more importantly during an emergency. Now that I'm on the line I understand what he meant because the Japanese I have no problems understanding but the Aussies? outside of the checklists and standard calls, I only get half of what they say

Hello to the KAL guys, I have an interview for a B737 PIC position in April through CCL and have a few questions about how the contract works to those who are in the know.

I am currently flying a BBJ, G-IV, and a Challenger for a private company that is shutting down their flight department like most of them here in the US. I have 1500 hours as a PIC on the BBJ. I was laid off from Delta way back in 2001 and have not been interested in working for an airline again, but the KAL contarct is rather appealing to me. I would get more time off than I get now, and I enjoy flying in Asia, and have experience in that part of the world.

1) What is the schedule like while you are on duty? Is it 6 on 1 off or something else? How are the schedules built? Do you get a reserve line for a bit, or do you get a real line right off the bat?

2) I plan to take the 11 days off option, how many days do they give you to commute? I will be using ATL as my base, and heard that you get 3 days, 2 to travel to work, a 1 to get home, but just want to get the real number from someone who knows.

3) I understand that they put you up at the Hyatt while at base, what types of ammenities do they offer if any? Do you guys get free breakfast, free internet? The Internet would be the best freebe

4) Does the company issue a cell phone for company use, or do you need to get one yourself? How do they normally contact you?

5) Who pays for the business class tickets? Does the cotractor (CCL) in my case pay for the ticket, or does KAL put you on a positive space business class ticket to/from your base? I ask this because I am interested if you guys collect FF miles, I am platinum medalion on Delta with about 900,000 miles in my account and am just wondering since KAL is a skyteam member. This would be a huge bonus to this contract, if not are there ways to get the miles?

Thanks for the answers in advance

Latest resources

Back