Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just wondering how the Columbia Kallitta boys are doing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm, so lack of education caused this accident?

Got that from the NTSB or straight from Airbus? :rolleyes:

NTSB. The primary remedy was to educate large transport pilots about full rudder reversals and ensuing structural failure. So, yes... a lack of specific knowledge (education) was primarily responsible for the tragedy.

BBB

NTSB. The primary remedy was to educate large transport pilots about full rudder reversals and ensuing structural failure. So, yes... a lack of specific knowledge (education) was primarily responsible for the tragedy.

BBB

Wow. It is amazing how far a thread can drift with just a few posts.

Let's see, Oh yes.. How are the Kalitta crew members doing?

Wow. It is amazing how far a thread can drift with just a few posts.

Let's see, Oh yes.. How are the Kalitta crew members doing?

They are relaxing in uneducated comfort and they have few equals in professionalism, knowledge, or ability!

A piece of work

LOL! I know several test pilots who would laugh at your ignorance. Yip, your tired old mantra wears thin and old. Fact is a well educated pilot with knowledge of aerodynamics, physics and mathematics will have a leg up on his uneducated brethren in basic/advanced fighter maneuvering any day of the week.

On the civilian side, I'll guarantee you ALL Boeing flight test pilots have advanced degrees. The two correlate.

In the 121 world, the simple fact is there are not enough highly educated pilots to begin to fill the need. Many accidents/incidents (such as the AA wake turbulence aggressive rudder swap to structural failure) would not have occurred if the pilot was more educated in structures and aerodynamics.

BBB

BBB, If you are a pilot, I'd bet you eat dinner alone more often than not

In the 121 world, the simple fact is there are not enough highly educated pilots to begin to fill the need. Many accidents/incidents (such as the AA wake turbulence aggressive rudder swap to structural failure) would not have occurred if the pilot was more educated in structures and aerodynamics.

Now there's a first class load of fly food.

Not only is it ignorant and abrasive, but wrong, makes some wild assumptions, and hints of some dangerous counsel.

Not only is it ignorant and abrasive, but wrong, makes some wild assumptions, and hints of some dangerous counsel.

Ding!

Hehehe, nicely done Avbug...not only were you direct, not long winded and I agree with you!

BBB is probably from ERAU or Purdue...lots of fighter pilots and test pilots and astronauts come from those places doncha know. Though I don't know how he finds time to post here while he's working on his PHD!

Last edited:

Here's the salient part from the report (if it's not too ignorant or abrasive or hints of dangerous counsel): :laugh:

>>The A300-600, which took off just minutes after a Japan Airlines Boeing 747 on the same runway, flew into the larger jet's wake, an area of very turbulent air. The first officer attempted to keep the plane upright with aggressive rudder inputs. The strength of the air flowing against the moving rudder stressed the aircraft's vertical stabilizer and eventually snapped it off entirely, causing the aircraft to lose control and crash. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) concluded that the enormous stress on the rudder was due to the first officer's unnecessary and excessive rudder inputs, and not the wake caused by the earlier Japan Airlines 747 that had crossed that area. In fact, if the first officer had stopped making additional inputs, the aircraft would have stabilized.>>

BBB

Here's the salient part from the report (if it's not too ignorant or abrasive or hints of dangerous counsel): :laugh:

>>The A300-600, which took off just minutes after a Japan Airlines Boeing 747 on the same runway, flew into the larger jet's wake, an area of very turbulent air. The first officer attempted to keep the plane upright with aggressive rudder inputs. The strength of the air flowing against the moving rudder stressed the aircraft's vertical stabilizer and eventually snapped it off entirely, causing the aircraft to lose control and crash. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) concluded that the enormous stress on the rudder was due to the first officer's unnecessary and excessive rudder inputs, and not the wake caused by the earlier Japan Airlines 747 that had crossed that area. In fact, if the first officer had stopped making additional inputs, the aircraft would have stabilized.>>

BBB

BBB
Why not start a new thread? Leave this one to the guys that want to wish these guys well!
Thanks

BBB
Why not start a new thread? Leave this one to the guys that want to wish these guys well!
Thanks
Sorry Woody. I figured since the poster asked how the guys were doing and got an answer the thread was basically over... hence the dreaded thread creep. Nevertheless, I'll stop posting on this thread as you've requested.

BBB

LOL! I know several test pilots who would laugh at your ignorance. Yip, your tired old mantra wears thin and old. Fact is a well educated pilot with knowledge of aerodynamics, physics and mathematics will have a leg up on his uneducated brethren in basic/advanced fighter maneuvering any day of the week.

On the civilian side, I'll guarantee you ALL Boeing flight test pilots have advanced degrees. The two correlate.

BBB
Too bad Yeager and Hoover didn't have degrees, they could have been GOOD pilots in the 40's and 50's!!!

Latest resources

Back