Just went to Recurrent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rythm3

OK, my boss just spent 10K on me to go to recurrent last month and I may have a lead on another job (twice the pay, better benefits, etc.)

My question is: How would you guys/gals feel about leaving a job after the boss just spent this kind of money on you, only 1 month ago? I would of course take the new job because I can't pass up twice the pay, but I would feel extremely guilty about leaving so soon.

Anyone having past experience with this kind of situation, I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks,

Rythm3

twice the pay? better benefits? -"Thank You for the opportunity". Without knowing the entire story I would guess the new job is a definite career advancement.

Really, did you give this boss your word you would stay XX amount of time?? (verbal or written)

If no, and he's underpaying you that bad, a simple "thank you" and a resignation letter will suffice. That job will continue to be a revolving door.

If you are breaking your promise in any way...make good on it, be honest - and still take the other job. (offer to pay for your recurrent maybe) It might sound crazy but your reputation is worth it.

Either way, dont let anything stop you from career advancement until you are at the job you want to be at.

Its not personal, its business. Feel bad that guy just spent 10K on you? Pilots are such fools...he didnt spend that 10K on you!!...he spent that because he wanted to arrive alive and his insurance company required it. He didnt do it for YOU. That same guy will lay you off in a second.

Think that guy affords his own jet by being a "nice guy"? ---- not a farkin' chance.

My Rule:

Look out for #1 because #1 has to pay the mortgage.

good luck!

Last edited:
Rythm3 said:
OK, my boss just spent 10K on me to go to recurrent last month and I may have a lead on another job (twice the pay, better benefits, etc.)

My question is: How would you guys/gals feel about leaving a job after the boss just spent this kind of money on you, only 1 month ago? I would of course take the new job because I can't pass up twice the pay, but I would feel extremely guilty about leaving so soon.

Anyone having past experience with this kind of situation, I would love to hear your opinion.

Thanks,

Rythm3

How about you tell your boss what the other company is going to pay you. Maybe...just maybe he might match it!!

You guys talk like that training cost is a gift. It's part of doing business. If you've got to move on, move on....

...and NEVER go in there and play the money-card. Very poor form.

Either you accept the company's philosophy, or you don't.

good luck

MVSW said:
How about you tell your boss what the other company is going to pay you. Maybe...just maybe he might match it!!

Um no....just make your decision and give your notice. If they want to keep you with money they will offer at that time. Even then you will always be known as a guy who will jump at the next buck - you will be marked. Just go.

Last edited:
ultrarunner said:
You guys talk like that training cost is a gift. It's part of doing business. If you've got to move on, move on....

That is true, but you jump ship like that you look like an a$$ hole. You are right in saying that though! Just don't burn any bridges. You know his boss wouldn't agree with that!!

regards.

Last edited:
You will get over it. The company you are leaving will learn from you and begin to see the value of training contracts and making pilots pay for their own type.

Dork!!!!!!

Jump Pilot said:
You will get over it. The company you are leaving will learn from you and begin to see the value of training contracts and making pilots pay for their own type.
And then they will see how little we (the professional pilot community) value them as a quality employer!!!!
Nothing wrong with a training contract IMO as long as its equitable, but making pilots pay for their own type is a sure sign of a bottom feeder employer. If the guy is leaving because he has the opportunity to DOUBLE his salary I say "GO FOR IT"!!! Do the right thing and work out some type of agreement with the old employer (its a very small community) but don't look back.

You have got to go for it. The costs associated with re-current are the costs of owning an aircraft.

Never appologize for looking our for your family or make appologies for super-millionares. Move on and never look back. Your employer may be a great guy, but like G200 said, it is you who pay the mortage. I also agree with the give notice and not ask for more money. Bad form and little class.

As far as your reputation goes, I think most will agree that a certain level of respect is given to those who better there position in life through hard work. You were offered a job a 2x's the salary because of who you are. You EARNED it.

Now go take the F'n job, take your wife to Morton's for dinner and take care of business:D :D

Jump Pilot said:

Or perhaps they will see the value in valuing their employee's ....:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back