• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just the facts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell that to your 2004 Captain that told me to my face he wasn't giving up his seat.

The Air Tran pilots reasonably have more concerns than the SWA pilots. As what has been wisely told to me, tomorrow morning I wake up working for SWA with the SWAPA contract. Tomorrow morning the AirTran pilots do not.

No matter how certain some of us may sound, none of us know where this all will finally play out. The only power as individuals we have is to voice our concerns to our union leadership, and when the time comes, vote.

At some point some of us must ask ourselves do we stay angry, or get it over it. Our only two options.

Just the facts......

From SWATlife.......

Holy Smokes!
by Kyle Patton

Chest bumps, high fives, handshakes, hugs, and toasts. The rule of the day: Enjoy Yourselves. As a member of the aviation sorority and fraternity, I’ve heard the hoopla surrounding the LUV. We all know the saying about the 1,000-pound gorilla puffing his chest, pushing others around and getting things done.

On Monday, I had the honor and privilege of representing more than 8,000 AirTran Airways Employees by commanding our 737-700 to DAL and back to ATL for the Southwest/AirTran media event (that's me on the right in the Crew photo below). Sure I thought, it’ll be fun, something different from the day-to-day line flying I normally do. I’ve done my fair share of charters, all of them interesting, some more than others.

For months, every AirTran Employee held their collective breaths for this day, the day we would become part of Southwest. All the nostalgia, the Culture, the Fun, the camaraderie. We all feared fuel would rise too high, another terrorist attack, something to derail “the deal.” Much anticipation surrounded Monday, May 2.

When we pulled up to the hangar in Dallas, we felt strange, there was tension in the cockpit. My first officer, Jim, laughed and said it best, “It feels like I’m meeting my arranged bride for the first time.” The welcome my Crew received from our new Family was overwhelming. For eight hours, we immersed ourselves into this fairytale dream we heard was Southwest but never really believed.

For many, the 1,000-pound gorilla is a measure of jealousy. I’ll admit it, I was jealous. Jealous of what Southwest has and what Southwest accomplishes. On Monday, I became a believer. I’m proud to be joining forces with the 35,000 Southwest Airlines Employees.

I’ve done some awesome things in my career. From flying hot air balloons in the high desert of Albuquerque to piloting a B-17 over the plains of Indiana. By far, this tops everything I’ve done professionally and is the most prestigious and rewarding day of my career.

As Gary said during his Atlanta speech, “One LUV Baby!”

LOL!, what did you expect him to say? Would you prefer, "boy golly, I just can't wait for your FO's to take my seat!"

Its not his seat, its now a Southwest seat that will be flown by only SWAPA pilots after SLI. His Airtran seat will be no more. Let the NC's decide.

My buddy's Tranny dream goes like this: He is top 25% on Captain list at Tranny, and he expects to have same position at combined Company. So he thinks his 10.5 years at Tranny = 19 years at Southwest.

We don't talk anymore. Plus, he will get "base of his choice". My thought is, he is going to be crushed at some point.

Its not his seat, its now a Southwest seat that will be flown by only SWAPA pilots after SLI. His Airtran seat will be no more. Let the NC's decide.

You are absolutely right. Despite what many believe, nobody is entitled to anything.

My buddy's Tranny dream goes like this: He is top 25% on Captain list at Tranny, and he expects to have same position at combined Company. So he thinks his 10.5 years at Tranny = 19 years at Southwest.

We don't talk anymore. Plus, he will get "base of his choice". My thought is, he is going to be crushed at some point.

If he's a 10.5 yr guy, he's not at 25% of the Captains, he's more like 50% of the CA list and 25% of the Pilot list.

That's too bad that you guys let it interfere with your friendship. I got a number of calls on 5/2 welcoming me aboard. . . . and one anonymous call that was just a "clicking" sound, that I think was Bobby D holding a swingline up to the phone . . . . it was hard to be sure though . . . . . it was a crappy skype connection from some west-African hell-hole. :laugh:

That's too bad that you guys let it interfere with your friendship

He was calling me E V E R Y D A Y..... drove me "nuts"

Music,

One of the more reasonable AT posters here mentioned that he thinks somewhere between relative seniority and DOH would be the result (as per recent arbitrator decisions). All I can say is that the former AT FOs and CPs that are now SWA FOs would view this result as extremely contentious...as would many other SWA CPs and FOs...

Latest resources

Back