Just in on the good ol' Tabloid TV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HawkerF/O said:
There is just something about that statement that does not look right. I'd beat him up is what I was trying to say.

Ooohhh, suuuurrrre.

What's Freud say about there being no accidents?:blush:

JK

BTW - As someone who's been part of an organization that has suffered a fatal accident let's not get carried away with Monday AM quarterbacking - it's unproductive and disrespectful for the deceased and their survivors - trust me. Remember, there are MANY links in the chain. :erm:

Im shocked that nobody has chimmed in on the operator himself... Or maybe it's just the 135 board that bags on people post-accident. Anyway, suffice to say that the specific operator and it's operating practicies will likely be listed as major contributing factors in this extremely unfortunate accident.

But I guess thats an obvious point at this juncture...

I fly in and out of here all of the time. It really isn't that challenging of an airport. If you are coming in from the east coast, and you understand that that SoCal is going to slam-dunk you in over the mountains, then what is the big deal? There really is not an excuse for running off of the runway unless your breaks failed.

Local news channel 8 reports the four on board were Jack Francis, pilot, (reported to have 35 years experience) Andy Garrett, copilot, passengers Frank Jellinek and a woman named Safran. The website has not been updated.

Here is an ad posted on skyjobs.net recently by a Frank Jellinek, it seems to be the same person:

Single Pilot (Aircraft Management) 1/9/2006
Family pilot-cirrus gts-light jet. Sun Valley Idaho and Rye Beach N.H. Must have 1500 tt with ATP and 500 hours turbine. $50k plus health care. Family travel only, approx 250 hours per year cirrus gts, Piper Meridian/Citation 550 type rating a plus. Good job in nice part of America.
Employer: Jellinek Family Trust

The name Jack Francis sounds familiar, possibly from SNA, but I'm not sure. Prayers and sympathy for the families of those involved.

Jack Francis was a very respected pilot. Let's not soil his memory by judging the decision to go into an airport well within the capabilities of the aircraft.

Looked at the log on flightaware. Last two groundspeed readouts were 209 and 227. That is easily 100kts over ref. I don't know the accuracy of those readouts that close to landing, but even if they were off 50%, they were way hot. I cannot imagine why these highly experienced guys would have tried to put it on in this situation. Perhaps something else was going on we don't know about? Maybe the CVR will shed some light.

Nevertheless, all of us in Idaho are deeply saddened by this tragic event. Condolences to the families of those involved.

CC

HawkerF/O said:
If you know anyone that knows how to use those charts 3 days after they leave recurrent, please have them come forward. The Brittish make a fine aircraft, but those charts are for the birds. If I could find the guy that designed those charts, I'd cold cock his a$$.

I'll step forward. A lot of people complain about those charts but they are not difficult to use or understand if explained properly. It's just making adjustments for slope and wind.

I also don't see the concern about a 4600 ft runway for takeoff. It all depends on weight, temperature and field elevation. In the 800, for instance, what's the difference between a 4600 ft runway(sea level) at 30 C and 22000 lbs (4600 ft required) and 6800 ft runway, 30 C, 27400 lbs(6840 ft required)? You are still going to use all of the runway. A longer runway isn't necessarily safer.

Go to East Hampton(4255 ft) and watch jets from citations to Gulfstreams(and yes, even Hawkers) come and go routinely. The deer are more worrisome than the runway length. I am pretty conservative, also. Would I land at East Hampton if it was dark, or the runway wet? No.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

pat

CC,

That is a great post on the accident. I know everyone is curious about the situation, but let's not Monday morning QB until the facts start coming out. The end result was obvious but we know very little facts at this time.

Thoughts and prayers to the families and friends......

One thing to consider about CRQ: according to my obsolete, home Jepps, the landing distance from the glideslope is only 3535. Still should be more than adequate for a CE-560, but it's not as much as you might think at first glance.

Also, slightly OT, I've always wondered why the usable length beyond the threshold for rwy 24 was listed as 4600? The displaced threshold is at the departure end of 6, and you can't help but roll out into that area as the taxiway is located down there. So, if you land at the end of 24, which is not displaced, how do you NOT have 4897?

A friend of mine said an FAA guy told him they crossed ESCON intersection at 12,000 and the final approach fix at 7,000, at some point calling the airport in sight. Supposedly they touched down halfway down the runway, and 3/4s down they decided to go around, adding power but it was too late.

This would square with the high ground speed readouts. I emphasize this is second hand information.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back