Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Illini said:
4600' is a lot of runway for a lot of aircraft
A lot of runway for what? Piston twins, singles and KingAirs don't count. I don't know many Jet pilots that would operate anything bigger than a 5xx series Citation (3-hole falcons excluded) out of a 4600 foot strip unless all other options were exhausted. I think HP Jepps are 5000 feet minimum. Just my .02 cents.

HawkerF/O said:
A lot of runway for what? Piston twins, singles and KingAirs don't count. I don't know many Jet pilots that would operate anything bigger than a 5xx series Citation (3-hole falcons excluded) out of a 4600 foot strip unless all other options were exhausted. I think HP Jepps are 5000 feet minimum. Just my .02 cents.

There is a lot of heavy iron in and out of there. Been in there in the Hawker no problems. Although you have to get it down, not worring about smooth there.

HawkerF/O said:

Ever been to CRQ? Ever seen what aircraft are based out of there, and what type of aircraft fly in and out on a regular basis? Lots of jet pilots apparently disagree with you. I've been in there many, many times in the Hawker...both 800A's and XP's. No problem. Just don't try to go very far out of there...and land light.

HawkerF/O said:
A lot of runway for what? Piston twins, singles and KingAirs don't count. I don't know many Jet pilots that would operate anything bigger than a 5xx series Citation (3-hole falcons excluded) out of a 4600 foot strip unless all other options were exhausted.
Huh?:confused:
KCRQ is one of the busiest airports for corp. aircraft in SoCal. There are several Globals, GIV's, Falcon 2000's, Challengers, Hawkers, etc. based there along with a ton of transient traffic.

Definately not a place to try and save the boss' brakes, though.

CRQ runway 24 slopes up from 326ft to 330ft. Runway 6 has a down slope. Looks like he attempted to land around sunup. Might he have tried a landing on runway 6 into the sun and on a downslope? I can see where he could have gotten into a lot of trouble there.

Hunh. I just looked at the news report and answered my own question. He ran off rwy 24. This makes no sense.

I'm based out of CRQ. Buddy of mine saw it happen this morning and told me they looked like they landed a bit hot and long. Very sad.

HawkerF/O said:
Only Runway is 6/24. It's 4897 feet long, but only 4600 is available for landing. Not a lot of runway, but more than enough for a 560. Under normal operation, as long as the nose wheel is on the ground, the T/Rs would be available.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0601/05310AD.PDF
Lots of GV's and GLEX's operate out of CRQ, and everything smaller. Skywest (EMB120's) and Mesa (Dash8's) also fly in there. It's the most popular "corporate" airport for the San Diego area, due to its proximity to the "high end" housing.

The runway is short, but usually with the sea breeze and up slope it's never a problem operating out of CRQ.

From a speculation standpoint, I was in San Diego yesterday, and the Santa Ana Winds were kicking, the surface wind was calm, but as low as 1000' AGL, the FMS was showing a 22 knot wind out of the east (tailwind for a landing on CRQ's 24).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back