• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Just How would APA do this?Eagle Jets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope..that's pretty much it. To be petty. That's why I refrained from commenting further in my post. I wanted to give you the opportunity to make my point for me with a response. Which you did......beautifully.

Thank you, sir.

Excellent! I relish repartee. Do go on...... priceless!

Sorry Surplus, but I have more knowledge than you think I do (you don't know me). Your "ideas" are yours and are based on bits and peices you put together. The Eagle ALPA MEC has MUCH more discussion and information that is NOT released, and by the way is comprised of members that were not in their respective offices a short one year ago.

I can't tell you about Comair (if thats who you fly for) and your knowledge of Eagle is WOEFULLY short of mine.

I have no beef with you. But you get on this board and represent to others that this and that are imminent regarding a pilot group you do not work for and that certain inevitabilities are likely.

Malarkey.

It is pointless to bang the gong with you. You believe what you want to believe. As far as Eagle goes, enjoy your view from the upper deck, it's as close as you'll get.

Hopefully, at least the hotdogs are good.

Good luck in your career.

Last edited:
eaglefly said:
Sorry Surplus, but I have more knowledge than you think I do (you don't know me). Your "ideas" are yours and are based on bits and peices you put together.
Good luck in your career.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I apologize for being unable to articulate my views in a way that does not cause you personal distress.

You seem determined to make the discussion some sort of contest between you an me as to who knows more about what. I will happily concede that you know more about everything!

I'm not a guru or an expert on any of this and I don't pretend to be. This discussion is not about you and me. As individuals we are both of little importance, if any at all, in the scheme of things.

My only objective is to encourage all of us to think seriously about the issues and not allow ourselves to be smothered in the political propaganda from any side. Our careers are going to be affected by the eventual outcome, one way or the other, like it or not. As such, we need full situational awarness and not focus limited to parochial interests.

The issues are controversial and in most cases adversarial as well. It is only natural that many of us will have different opinions. I want to hear your opinions and I want to voice my opinions. I have no interest whatever in a personal dispute about who knows more about what. Frankly, that's a waste of time and a diversionary tactic.

So again, I apoligize for being unable to articulate my views in a way that pleases you. Nevertheless, my opinions are my own and I will continue to express them. I'm sorry you disagree.

You are correct, I don't know you. You also don't know me. Neither of those things is important from my perspective. I'm not interested in what you think of me, I am interested in what you think about the issues. Hopefully, you will express your views on the subject matter and stay away from attempting to make this a personal contest. I'm not competing with you and don't want to.

I wish only the best for you and all the Eagle pilots as well as regional pilots everywhere. This issue affects the entire industry. It is much bigger than Eagle or Comair (yes that's my airline) or any one of us. We're all in the same boat, but we're all rowing in different directions. That will get us nowhere.

Best regards.

surplus1 said:
As long as mainline pilots maintain the attitude you express, i.e., "If the result is fewer jobs for the Small Jet pilots than I'm sorry, but it ain't personal" , you in fact make it personal.

Anytime a business moves in on another's turf is it personal? Lemme put it this way: every airline pilot wants as much growth at his/her airline as possible. That's all it is. Many mainline pilots view Small Jets as an attack on their way of life, and in today's economy that's true. Not the pilots; the jets!

You see, that small jet pilot happens to be me. While I regret that you have lost your job, I'm not about to let you take my job and make it your replacement.

Small Jets have already taken my job away but I don't blame the smaller carriers as if it were personal. In today's economy small jets are mostly profitable and mainline jets aren't, so management does what it has to and wants to do.

The idea that you think you should be able to do that and that I should agree that it's OK, creates the conflict between us. We could solve this problem by working together, but we can't seem to agree on what "working together" means.

Agreed. The biggest obstacle is that even if you and I agree chances are that Management won't.

From my perspective (speaking in generalities) the mainline pilot defines "working together" as: what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine. That will never fly with folks like me.

I can't speak for any other contract but it was a concession by the APA to allow jet flying by any other entity. In reality the flying belongs to nobody but management.

My group will indeed fight for our careers. We may lose the fight but by the time its over your group will surely know that you've been in a fight. This one will be no holds barred. Like you say, it's not personal, it's just business.

I wouldn't expect anything less. Of course the issue is complicated by the fact that the majority of small jet pilots would eventually like to fly for a major. I fully support making small jet contracts as comfortable as possible for those making a career of it.

As long as thousands of pilots are furloughed every job matters and it's easy to view a mainline pilot's opinion as an arrogant sense of entitlement. Well, many do feel that way, especially those who fomerly flew for the regionals. During the TWA/AA integration AA pilots formerly with TWA were among the loudest to scream "staple 'em all!" But that skewed sense of entitlement also exists in the ranks of the small jets. I'm not being accusatory; it's just human nature to believe that if you're a hard-working pilot you deserve a good career. But the fact is due to furlough and bankruptcy this career will be lousy for a lot of good guys.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back