Just booked round trip MCO-EWR on JB...

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
...

185$.

Good grief......

Ok..lets do the math.

I have to fill my car 4 times to drive from FL to NJ.

At $45/tank thats nearly two hundred fucking dollars.

Making that a FOUR HUNDRED dollar round trip.

I'm sure stuff like this has been beaten to death...but wow.
 

BlueBusDriver

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2002
Posts
105
Total Time
13000+
......and we DO appreciate your business. Enjoy the inflight entertainment as you relax in your leather seat.

Blue Skies........

BBD
 

PurpleTail

Is that RMB or USD???
Joined
Nov 29, 2001
Posts
474
Total Time
6500TT
Yeah, poor people can't afford a car + gas so they either take the bus or a LLC flight...unbelievable. Just raise the ticket prices, people will still fly for the sheer convenience, otherwise Escalades and H2's wouldn't still be rolling off the lot.
 

FlyBarneyJets

Go Kings, Go!!
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Posts
334
Total Time
15k+
Fill your car up for nearly $400 bucks round-trip, then just ride-share with 130 other people who like to chip in for gas.
 

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
BlueBusDriver said:
......and we DO appreciate your business. Enjoy the inflight entertainment as you relax in your leather seat.

Blue Skies........

BBD
I liked xjet from dab-ewr direct, but getting dropped off at mco is no big deal...and for half the price..and a bigger seat...and tv...

And we all know the prices across the board are a problem for all of us....so...raise prices after I have a job and jumpseat priviledges. ;)
 

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Joined
Dec 2, 2001
Posts
803
Total Time
28 yrs
PurpleTail said:
Yeah, poor people can't afford a car + gas so they either take the bus or a LLC flight...unbelievable. Just raise the ticket prices, people will still fly for the sheer convenience, otherwise Escalades and H2's wouldn't still be rolling off the lot.
I think you meant "LCC", as in low cost carrier.

LLC refers to a limited liability corporation.

GP
 

JT8D

It's Smooooooov...
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Posts
244
Total Time
>17000
gkrangers said:
...

185$.

Good grief......

Ok..lets do the math.

I have to fill my car 4 times to drive from FL to NJ.

At $45/tank thats nearly two hundred Fricking dollars.

Making that a FOUR HUNDRED dollar round trip.

I'm sure stuff like this has been beaten to death...but wow.
Apples and oranges. You are comparing one person in an auto literally to a form of mass transit (over 100 people on the same vehicle). Even if the fare were $400 (reasonable), which would you prefer? Bad comparison. Long haul in the auto is over. Rental cars are $28 bucks unlimited mileage at destination.
 

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
JT8D said:
Apples and oranges. You are comparing one person in an auto literally to a form of mass transit (over 100 people on the same vehicle). Even if the fare were $400 (reasonable), which would you prefer? Bad comparison. Long haul in the auto is over. Rental cars are $28 bucks unlimited mileage at destination.
People frequently drive because they cannot afford to fly, and Orlando-NJ/NY is a very common "drive vs fly" trip.

Now, its cheaper to fly, than drive..for one/two people.

Thats just not the way things used to be, even when dealing with just one or two people.

When you get into families, flying is still "expensive" because of the number of people, vs the operating costs of a car which don't increase, regardless of the number of people.
 

JT8D

It's Smooooooov...
Joined
Sep 4, 2005
Posts
244
Total Time
>17000
gkrangers said:
People frequently drive because they cannot afford to fly, and Orlando-NJ/NY is a very common "drive vs fly" trip.

Now, its cheaper to fly, than drive..for one/two people.

Thats just not the way things used to be, even when dealing with just one or two people.

When you get into families, flying is still "expensive" because of the number of people, vs the operating costs of a car which don't increase, regardless of the number of people.

True. I was refering to single pilot auto long haul vs. fly. A family trip is definetly another story. Your orignal post didn't reflect this, however.
 

Captain Overs

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Posts
875
Total Time
15,000
I know I'm preaching to the choir, but shouldn't flying be a little more expensive than driving or Greyhound? Think of other businesses that charge a premium for same day service. If you want to get their quick you pay a higher price to fly, meaning you get there the same day.

Like I said, I know I'm preaching to the choir but haven't heard anyone else look at it from that angle.
 

U-I pilot

Relaxation....
Joined
Dec 3, 2002
Posts
537
Total Time
1500
I couldnt believe prices recently either. A couple weeks back I purchased one-way IND-MCO 4 days prior and it was $144. (On Citrus)
 

starcheck1

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Posts
123
Total Time
6K +
Go with Continental .........its cheaper...EWR to MCO round trip for $156.00. Lots of $$$ to be lost on the Florida routes in the coming months.
 
Last edited:

mynameisjim

Don't try this at home
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Posts
842
Total Time
Paycut
I'm sure there was a more expensive ticket you could have purchased, more than the $185 on JetBlue.


Why didn't you buy a more expensive ticket to help the airline industry increase profits?

:p
 

Vector4fun

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 25, 2003
Posts
796
Total Time
1700
Here's what's crazy:

MCO-EWR, 815nm, $185 RT, $0.23 per mile

MCO-CHS, 276nm, $320 RT, $1.16 per mile

MCO-TLH, 198nm, $283 RT, $1.43 per mile

which is the exact same price as:

MCO-TUL, 872nm, $283 RT, $0.32 per mile

which is not nearly as good a deal as:

MCO-ORD, 874nm, $153 RT $0.18 per mile.

In addition, do ya figure the costs to maintain a ticket counter and gate are higher at ORD and EWR, or at TLH, CHS, and TUL?????
 

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
starcheck1 said:
Go with Continental .........its cheaper...EWR to MCO round trip for $156.00. Lots of $$$ to be lost on the Forida routes in the coming months.
Wow, I got screwed...I figured JB would be the cheapest...
 

Capn Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 11, 2003
Posts
114
Total Time
8000+
gkrangers said:
Wow, I got screwed...I figured JB would be the cheapest...
Not sure what dates you are traveling, but as an example 10/17 and 10/23 you could travel for 155.40 on JB. CAL on that date indicated 205.40. This is including all taxes and fees on both airlines.

Out of JFK, JB is often more expensive than Song by $5-$10 a flight.

Some will absolutely chase the lowest price. Other people will go for a particular carrier regardless of the price. To each their own.

Mike
 
Top