• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Junior Captain at JetBlue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the input. Key to my move to Delta was the ability to be based in domicile. I personally hated commuting and the bed bugs at my south ozone park crashpad.

Being based in domicile allowed me to pick up premium flying at Delta in my first year, since they were short staffed at the time, resulting in a substancial instant pay raise. At the time, co-pilot pay on the 190 was deplorable and with the 1 year upgrade gone, the thought of another 2 years at that pay rate made me want to quit flying. When I had the class date at Delta, I even went to the chief pilot office in JFK and asked about pay raises. Of course, had I stayed, I would have benefited eventually from a pay raise and I would certainly be making more now as a 190 Captain compared to an 88 co-pilot. Still, I doubt I would have made up the lost pay.

Also, I was very lucky to not get furloughed after the merger with the spike in fuel costs. Instead, I survived the merger with decent relative seniority and am stuck about 8% from the bottom which is not a bad place to be living in base. I hear that movement is on the horizon. Heck, if I wanted to commute, I could fly the 767 international out of JFK. I don't think the guys that left JetBlue for United had the same luck.

The thing I miss most about JetBlue was the junior crews, the fun factor and the upgrade. I think in 4 years at delta, I've been out with the crew on a layover maybe twice. Usually it's just me and the captain who gets something to eat. Also the quality of the trips on the airbus far exceeds the md88 trips which probably more resemble 190 trips.

With negotiations coming up at Delta, we have a lot of things to work on. There is also a movement towards an independant union that is picking up momentum. I think the biggest disperity between Delta and JetBlue is the benefits. Delta has given me over $50,000 in retirement money in my 4 years and my medical premiums are a little less than they were.

I wish all my friends at JetBlue best of luck with your careers and hopefully we can all raise the bar a little.

Or, in reality, you'd be paying $310 per month for medical coverage...you know, that's the medical plan that 90% of all pilots select?

Don't let the naysayers spin their so called "facts" to give a one-sided (and always negative) aspect of what's going on at JB.

There are plenty of things to fix (and, frankly, the upper end medical coverage plan is way too expensive), but there are plenty of good things happening as well.

Plenty of good things? What are they? And "fixing things" requires monetary investment which IS NOT HAPPENING and WON'T HAPPEN. They said so on the earnings call. Wake up and quit spinning this for HR, this is not a success story.

Plenty of good things? What are they? And "fixing things" requires monetary investment which IS NOT HAPPENING and WON'T HAPPEN. They said so on the earnings call. Wake up and quit spinning this for HR, this is not a success story.

More whinning. Shocker

I can name many great things here, but no matter what I say you won't see them.

JB is like the foreign exchange student with big tits. Everybody wants a piece, and sooner or later somebody is going to step up and get it. It's nothing more than a question of who does it and when.

I always wanted to be that guy...

I encourage anyone who has access to Delta's latest compensation review to please take a detailed look. Jetblue pilots are behind in so many areas. The only area where we are remotely close is pay. We are substantially behind in retirement, sick/vacation, scope clause, merger/aquisition language, LTD/STD, medical benefits, and many more. Now we do have a nice working environment. It's an enjoyable place to work but that is also part of the problem. Too many pilots are willing to give Jetblue a pass in all these other areas because the company is nice to you. mind boggling.

Keep in mind each "great thing" we have at Jetblue every other major carrier has something very similar if not exactly the same and should not be an excuse for accepting less. We fly more and are more efficient than EVERY OTHER AIRLINE yet we gladly accept less. Fook that! I'm embarrassed to be associated with their group sometimes and I used to be it's biggest supporter.

I encourage anyone who has access to Delta's latest compensation review to please take a detailed look. Jetblue pilots are behind in so many areas. The only area where we are remotely close is pay. We are substantially behind in retirement, sick/vacation, scope clause, merger/aquisition language, LTD/STD, medical benefits, and many more. Now we do have a nice working environment. It's an enjoyable place to work but that is also part of the problem. Too many pilots are willing to give Jetblue a pass in all these other areas because the company is nice to you. mind boggling.

Keep in mind each "great thing" we have at Jetblue every other major carrier has something very similar if not exactly the same and should not be an excuse for accepting less. We fly more and are more efficient than EVERY OTHER AIRLINE yet we gladly accept less. Fook that! I'm embarrassed to be associated with their group sometimes and I used to be it's biggest supporter.

Way I see it, we've got about 2 years max to get a union on property before a merger/acquisition happens. Going to happen, just a matter of when.

In a way we need it. We have a very small footprint with no international feed. Foreign ownership is on the horizon and with our management and apathetic pilot group our future is very uncertain. Lufthansa, with two seats on our board, is threatening of selling it's remaining interest in Jetblue which I personally feel is why the CFO is no longer here. Let's be honest, how are we going to protect ourselves if a foreign carrier decides to purchase us. What leverage do we actually have?

In a way we need it. We have a very small footprint with no international feed. Foreign ownership is on the horizon and with our management and apathetic pilot group our future is very uncertain. Lufthansa, with two seats on our board, is threatening of selling it's remaining interest in Jetblue which I personally feel is why the CFO is no longer here. Let's be honest, how are we going to protect ourselves if a foreign carrier decides to purchase us. What leverage do we actually have?

I've heard British Airways is very interested in Lufthansa's stake.

But what you say makes sense. The company has tunnel vision when it comes to growth in the Carribbean and is even talking big about getting bigger equipment and going into South America. So my big question is, where in the hell are we going to get the feed for those routes?

Answer: Merger/Acquisition WN or AA or somebody we haven't thought of yet. Just a matter of time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back