Jumpseats???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mile High

I was just wondering if any of the majors are letting Part 135 guys jumpseat again? I am a Part 135 Grand Canyon pilot looking to jump every now and again. Pre 9/11 I was able to jump on Delta, Skywest, National, America West, and Frontier. Lately I haven't really heard anything. I would appreciate any input if possible from the above mentioned airlines or others.

Thanks Again

Yes (and no)

Our policy for 135 drivers (and other Part121 guys) is yes, as long as there's a seat for them in the back. Can you really still call that a jumpseat?!

Yes you can...

Yeah, sure, let's still call it a "jumpseat." Because when you take a free seat in the cabin you must be ready to "jump" from the "seat" and walk off the airplane if a last minute passenger shows up and bumps you from the "jump-seat". Yuk yuk yuk yuk.:D

RightBettor
"Winner seven, pay the line!!"

On this same type subject, why are some airlines giving offline jumpseaters the extra screening at the gate. I know that not all carriers are doing it, but some are. For example, American will let you right on, no extra hassle, but United makes OMC's get the extra screening at the gate. I don't disagree with extra screening at the gate on a random basis, but everytime seems a little harsh since we can't even sit in the cockpit. At this point, we are just like a regular passenger who has already passed the normal security checkpoint or at worst, just flew an airplane in from somewhere else. I realize that United Pilots may not even know about this so at this time I am asking for any imput from any United guys out there. What can we do to help this situation out?

Yous truely,
Probed in ORD

it's because with those airlines you electronically list as an OMC/jumpseater - same as on NWA.

For the airlines where you just fill the form and go, there is no being made a selectee.

Try listing as a roundtrip jumpseating nonrev/jumpseater - it might help - it does on some airlines.

Vinman said:
On this same type subject, why are some airlines giving offline jumpseaters the extra screening at the gate. .......................
Yous truely,
Probed in ORD

Because the airlines know that most pax recognize the secondary screening as nothing more than a hassle. Those fair paying pax are getting more and more pissed about seeing 80 year old blue hairs getting strip searched, and the airlines don't want for the customers to get any more pissed than they are. So they target those of us who are in no position to gripe. IE, the non-revs. Heck, I've seen SWA rescreen all of its DEADHEADS. Makes no sense from a security standpoint, but it sure helps keep from pissing of the paying public.

Of the majors that I commute on, American treats me the best. They have put me in secondary screening, but only when there is no one else there. American also seems to have one of the more fair secondary screening processes in general. They "continuously screen" while boarding is in progress, and my observation is that they only screen the minimum number of pax in order to satisfy that requirement. Other carriers, including mine, seem to pick a certain number in advance and screen them all, period. I've taken numerous delays because of having pax stuck in the secondary screen five to ten minutes after all other pax are on board.

regards

selectees

Listing round trip does no good on United. As a jumpseater, you will always be a selectee for some odd reason. I've tried listing in advance, round trip, one way, multiple round trips...... nothing works. Must be we look suspicious in our uniforms with company i.d. and airport badges and certificates and etc. etc.

-still waiting for common sense to take over again

However, at a certain all-B737 operator who shall remain nameless, listing as a roundtrip jumpseating standby nonrev (well as of last week anyway) doesnt put the selectee-racing stripes on you boarding card!

Listing in advance

Listing in advance on Airlink does no good either.
Every other week when I commute from my home airport... I get probed. The fine folks who operate the NWA station know me personally..but that doesn't matter... just this past week...one of their own employees were non-reving she checked herself in and printed her own boarding pass.. while the gentlemen printed mine and asked me since they had no one else to screen would I mind....? :eek: Hmm... do I mind...? do I have choice? Mind you this flight is operated by the Airlink I work for.

I agree with the other poster.... I'm waiting for common sense to come back if ever.

:rolleyes:

Dispatchguy had it right that on UAL it is an electronic thing. But why can't someone from United (a pilot perhaps) suggest to whatever powers that be that jumpseaters with all certificates and documents are not the threat when we cannot even sit in the cockpit because we are not UAL or UAX. Like I said before, I don't mind being a randomly selected "selectee," it seems only fair in order to "ensure" our safety. (Although I still can't figure out why I can't carry a pocket knife, but I can have a crash ax right behind my seat. Must be a dull ax I guess.) I don't even mind THAT much that I can't sit in the jumpseat if I am on another carrier, but that I am certainly willing to accept since it could lead to a bad situation.

Nice thoughts by everyone though. Keep them coming.

Latest resources

Back