Jumpseating with a beard?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I disagree.

When a jumpseater requests to ride on a carrier, s/he is agreeing to that carriers policy manual or FOM. The fact that the original poster went shopping for answers is indicative. IOW, if you have to ask... then it is probably better to take the conservative route. And this is confirmed by the original poster saying that he will shave...

You are right... it is about how we treat each other..

If a pilot showed up to my flight with a beard or other... as it acutally happened, with a large cubic zorconian (sp) diamond earing and asked for the jumpseat.. the message is simply this:

"even though your policy prohibits beards or earings (male), I've shown up to get a free ride and exercise a priviledge on your jet on my terms"

Why should a jumpseater make it uncomfortable for a CA or crew member on thier own jet. The goal as a jumpseater is to be as non evasive as possible. If the CA denied a jumpseater because he was offended that someone would ask for the jumpseat wearing a beard, jeans, earings..whatever, most would chide the CA. I'd side with the CA and chide the jumpseater for trying to game the system at anothers expense...

That is not professional.

Simply put.. professionals do not need to be policed or supervised.... in this case...they don't need to be told how to dress.

Last edited:
You can't expect people to put on a 3-piece suit and shine their shoes just because they're boarding the mighty CRJ for a 50 minute flight.

Society has become more leisurely and casual on a whole, especially in the workplace. Years ago, office workers all wore shirts and ties. Not so long ago, "casual Fridays" was implemented. Presently, a lot of corporate offices have now gone to casual all week long.

Anyway, why is it even necessary to dress up for flights? The reason people had more etiquette and dressed better had more to do with the class of people who could afford air travel as it was an expensive activity. Flying was new and glamorous. Flying no longer holds this same allure. It is more a fixture within our transportation system and very common place. Just look at how well people dressed and behaved during the railroad era.

If you want to shuffle around well-heeled individuals, then fly corporate or charter. Just remember that money doesn't always translate into class. You just might find some uncoath passengers on a Gulfstream.

If I remember correctly from my ASA daze, only Secret Service could occupy the jumpseat with a beard.
Sorry to say, since I still can't grow a beard as a 40 year old, but I would shave.

Cheers-

You can't expect people to put on a 3-piece suit and shine their shoes just because they're boarding the mighty CRJ for a 50 minute flight.

Nice try... no one said anything about formal dress required. When trying to counter an arguement its best not to go to the other end extreme.

Society has become more leisurely and casual on a whole, especially in the workplace. Years ago, office workers all wore shirts and ties. Not so long ago, "casual Fridays" was implemented. Presently, a lot of corporate offices have now gone to casual all week long.

I am not talking about cubical culture. I am referencing policy. The grooming standards of most FOM's state no beards. This has to do with traditional legacy carrier image and O2 mask. If you are talking about a specific carrier, like JB, that allows goatee's then name names..

Anyway, why is it even necessary to dress up for flights? The reason people had more etiquette and dressed better had more to do with the class of people who could afford air travel as it was an expensive activity. Flying was new and glamorous. Flying no longer holds this same allure. It is more a fixture within our transportation system and very common place. Just look at how well people dressed and behaved during the railroad era.

Again.. we are not talking about the average passenger here. We are talking jumpseat ettiquette and policy. Like the FedEx jumpseater that shows up to fly on UAL/DAL/NWA in jeans... Sure, FedEx allows jumpeaters to wear jeans while jumping on FX... but UAL/DAL/CAL/NWA doesn't allow it on their carriers.... so the FX pilot is a bit presumptious to show up on said legacy carriers wearing jeans with such an arguement. Who's house are you asking to enter?

If you want to shuffle around well-heeled individuals, then fly corporate or charter. Just remember that money doesn't always translate into class. You just might find some uncoath passengers on a Gulfstream.

If you want a free ride and the ability to excercise jumpseat privileges, then play by the rules...

Unfornately... too many "profesional pilots" want to define professionalism on their own personal terms. Meaning.. clothes don't make the professional, for example...

Problem is... the policy or FOM is clear on the dress code. Pilots justifying in thier mind, polar-tec fleece, beards and I-pods... all disguised in the name of professionalism for personal comfort and convienence.... The arguement of "I don't need to wear a uniform to be professional" is weak and unprofessional in itself. If ones doesn't need to wear the uniform to be a pro, then what, specifically, does one do to be professional? An example please...

Professionals don't pick and choose what rules to follow, for if they do, it erodes trust with their fellow pilot as to what other rules they don't follow... once you go down that slippery slope... where does it end...??

And let's keep this realistic... everyone battles the temptation (aka flight discipline) to go for the path of personal comfort... whether it is not buying the right uniform or overlooking a write up on the jet....so they can make thier commute home...

Here is my take on all of this.

A jumpseater is part of the crew. Should dress the part, and act the part. This includes no drinking alcohol.

The original reason of the reciprical jumpseating, is so other airline pilots can see how airlines operate their planes. It wasnt intended for free travel from party to party. Ever notice that FAA guys must sit in the cockpit, they dont have "jumpseat privileges". Its all official business.

So in short, if you want a free ride, act the part. If you want to dress in flip flops and a bathing suit, buy a ticket.

Nice try... no one said anything about formal dress required. When trying to counter an arguement its best not to go to the other end extreme.

Nice try at what? :rolleyes:

First off, my post was NOT in response or to counter (as you say) to anything you wrote. You'd see me quote ya if it was. Perhaps becasue it was posted right after yours your insecurity got the best of ya. My "extreme end" as you call it, was an attempt at being facetious to make a point. I think you blow a lot of hot air around here and are predisposed to jump on people to get your fight on. You seem to be a very cantankerous individual.

I am not talking about cubical culture. I am referencing policy. The grooming standards of most FOM's state no beards. This has to do with traditional legacy carrier image and O2 mask. If you are talking about a specific carrier, like JB, that allows goatee's then name names..

Again, I never said you were talking about office culture - but I was, in order to show that there is a TREND in our society that is leaning towards less formal wear in other occupations. I'm well aware of the FOM beard ban and had NOT referenced it. You are so wrapped up in challenging people that you don't bother to take a moment to even understand someones post, let alone determine if it was directed at you. If you got you head out of your orifice maybe you'd have more cognition.

Again.. we are not talking about the average passenger here. We are talking jumpseat ettiquette and policy. Like the FedEx jumpseater that shows up to fly on UAL/DAL/NWA in jeans... Sure, FedEx allows jumpeaters to wear jeans while jumping on FX... but UAL/DAL/CAL/NWA doesn't allow it on their carriers.... so the FX pilot is a bit presumptious to show up on said legacy carriers wearing jeans with such an arguement. Who's house are you asking to enter?

And I AM addressing the passenger dress code issue - I don't care if it wasn't your point as I was not even responding to you. My response was intended for a post mentioning the lost glory days of well-heeled travelers. Hmmm.. makes sense now, huh Rez?

If you want a free ride and the ability to excercise jumpseat privileges, then play by the rules...

See above. I respect the jumpseat and my post had ZERO to do with JSing.

Unfornately... too many "profesional pilots" want to define professionalism on their own personal terms. Meaning.. clothes don't make the professional, for example...

I subscribe to the traditional attire as well. Which means I dislike the variance in uniform color. Nothing personal to JB or who ever else has more progressive uniforms. Call me old fashioned. You see, my thoughts actually fall in line with yours. :erm:

By the way, judging from your posts, you take yourself WAY too seriously. It's actually very humourous. You need to go find a girl to keep you occupied or take the 5 sisters out more often.

Problem is... the policy or FOM is clear on the dress code. Pilots justifying in thier mind, polar-tec fleece, beards and I-pods... all disguised in the name of professionalism for personal comfort and convienence.... The arguement of "I don't need to wear a uniform to be professional" is weak and unprofessional in itself. If ones doesn't need to wear the uniform to be a pro, then what, specifically, does one do to be professional? An example please...

Rah Rah Rah!!!!

You are the company yes man, no?

Professionals don't pick and choose what rules to follow, for if they do, it erodes trust with their fellow pilot as to what other rules they don't follow... once you go down that slippery slope... where does it end...??

You know, I'm begining to figure you out. You are a very rigid thinker who probably comforms to high kingdom come and has no individual thoughts.

And let's keep this realistic... everyone battles the temptation (aka flight discipline) to go for the path of personal comfort... whether it is not buying the right uniform or overlooking a write up on the jet....so they can make thier commute home...

Speak for yourself.

I think he meant a beard as in a cover for being gay. Kind of like most of the responders to this ridiculous thread.

Would you shave if you knew that your Chief Pilot was trying to get on the same flight? How about if the guy you were asking for a ride was handing the plane off to his Chief at the destination?

We all know that the one day a year you show up without your hat, is the one day of the year you bump into the Chief.

If you're not comfortable doing it in front of your Chief, then you've got your answer.

Hell, why stop at a beard? How about shorts and flip-flops? Have a few drinks at the airport bar? You don't get to pick and choose what rules you are going to follow, especially somewhere you don't even work.

Latest resources

Back