Jumpseating on Comair

cl65capt

Just say NO
Total Time
enough
Hi, just got a memo from the chief pilots office(I fly for Airtran) stating the we will now need our passports to jumpseat offline. I was planning on jumpseating on a Comair flight to MKE tomorrow morning and was wondering what the likely hood of being asked for my passport is? Reason I ask is I'm off and my passport is in my flight case in ATL. Thanks.

Workin'Stiff

Fire in 'da hole!!!!
Total Time
Lots..
The reason I've heard is that the gate agent needs to verify your picture off of a federal document (passport). This applies for the CASS system that doesn't have digital photos enclosed...

Broke in CVG

Broke AGAIN in CVG!
Total Time
Life
Comair doesn't have CASS. No pasport needed. License, Medical and Co. ID AND you have to show the CA your stolen Hotel Pen. And if it's my JS, a Egg McMuffin or after 11:00, a bag of Peanut MMs.

Birddog

On a mission...
Total Time
A USA Today with a hotel sticker is also allowable in place of the hotel pen.

BlackPilot628

Total Time
5000+
Does anyone know if Comair takes offline Jumpseaters from Canada and if so, what is the listing process.

The last I heard we had to list with them so that our name would be on the release.

OldManPilot

Total Time
10000+
Currently the CASS system is only available to members of the ATA "Airline Transport Association" this does not include regional airlines as of yet. It is still being studied and it appears that regionals owned by legacy carriers 'may' be the first added. An extention was filed for 2 months longer to study CASS prior to adding ANY non-ATA airlines to the system.

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Total Time
OldManPilot said:
Currently the CASS system is only available to members of the ATA "Airline Transport Association" this does not include regional airlines as of yet. It is still being studied and it appears that regionals owned by legacy carriers 'may' be the first added.
What would you call Horizon? One of the very first airlines included in the CASS system. Or American Eagle? Another of the very first airlines included in the CASS system.

Perhaps I am missing what you are saying, but these regional airlines, both owned by holding companies which also own major carrers, have been included in the CASS system since its implementation.

chperplt

Total Time
Anyone can be a member of the "ATA" if they pay to become a member. Class standing (Major, Regional, National, ect.) has nothing to do with it.

OldManPilot

Total Time
10000+
i stand corrected. I was told that ATA members only were being currently accepted until after the test period which was just extended was complete

chperplt

Total Time
ATA members are the only ones being accepted into CASS at this time. The point is, anyone who spends the money (Horizon and Eagle appartently) are members.

In college I had to develop a fake airline (FunAIR)... I sent away to the ATA for a member application package and they sent it right away. All it takes is money to become a member.

AvroJockey

Go Pack Go!
Total Time
35 yrs
Ah, We're in CASS

OldManPilot said:
Currently the CASS system is only available to members of the ATA "Airline Transport Association" this does not include regional airlines as of yet. It is still being studied and it appears that regionals owned by legacy carriers 'may' be the first added. An extention was filed for 2 months longer to study CASS prior to adding ANY non-ATA airlines to the system.
Mesaba is CASS, and I know Pinnacle is too. Both are regionals, and neither are wholly owned or ATA members.

BTW, are there any projections as to when Comair is going CASS?

CRJ puppy

Total Time
8000+
Very soon. Gate agents began training for it earlier this week.

poorFITgrad'02

Bottom o' the List
Total Time
25 yrs
Yesterday

How about already...at least in PWM, the agents have their nice, new printed instuction sheets on how to apply CASS. I got denied last night cause apparently, you have to do something with CASS before it will approve you, like activate your ID or something. I dunno, haven't done it yet cause I jumped on Comair a few days ago when it wasn't CASS. I told the agent I had heard Delta was CASS, but when Continental became CASS, I didn't think Continental Express was CASS as well. But he said they use Delta's reservation system. I think I got jipped, but lesson learned.

Who Dey

Express didn't get CASS at the same time as CAl because our JS list had more airlines than CAL. We could have joined with CAL but that would mean some of the airlines would be left off. This is my understanding, so I am not positive about this. We have been told several times that we will be CASS in the next couple of weeks, but there were a few issues still being ironed out.

pianoman

Total Time
The first group of regionals to be accepted into CASS were admitted because they were "wholly owned" subsidiaries of a major. XJT is not wholly owned. From what I understand, we are very close to getting in on CASS soon.

(just as I stop commuting)