• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jumpseat troublemaker ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And now I'll give you a few examples from an ex-groundpounder. I used to be an Ops. Supv for Southwest and had my fair share of dealings with jumpseaters.

The worst one that comes to mind was an older white English ANA captain who wanted (demanded) to jumpseat from PHX-LAX. I was called up to help the CSA let this "gentleman" know that he was not on our list. Wearing his double breasted uniform, he told me "You mean nothing to me, I want to talk to the Captain. He will let me go." OK, gloves off a$$hole! I told him I could care less who he works for now, because he was insulting everyone including me. More words were exchanged, although I don't remember what I said 'casue I was pi$$ed. He wouldn't leave, so I went down to the plane and explained what had just happened to the Captain, who happened to be our Asst. Chief from MDW. He calmly walked up the jetway with me saying he would take care of it. As soon as the two met, the ANA guy extended his hand toward our Captain for a shake. My Captain didn't acknowledge this and proceeded to chastize him on his behavior. He continued by asking "Would your company allow me to jumpseat?" Of course you all know how those Asian carriers are about not letting anyone jumpseat. The ANA guy said "well, no-but......" My Captain cut him off and said "Well, it looks like we have nothing further to talk about then!" You should have seen the face of this ANA guy.....Of course, I made sure that I was in tune with our 15 other flights to LAX and not allow anyone to give this guy access at all. Never heard from him again.

But on the flipside there are great jumpseaters as well. When I was working in TUS, there was a UAL 737 Captain who commuted to LAX on a weekly basis. He was always polite and courteous and whenever he saw me, he offered to buy me an ice cream or a soda. Needless to say he was always given preferential treatment. Just goes to show you attract more bees with honey, or however that saying goes.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

...or get more boys with ice cream. Know what I mean?

:)

Just joshin' ya man. I'm sure he just wanted to jump your seat, um, I mean ride your, um, I meant to say, commute. Yeah that's it.

:D

mar you're too funny...does that guy make any one else laugh or is it just me?

It sucks to be me.

Hey man, I'm just out for my own entertainment. If you happen to enjoy it too then that's even better.

:cool:

Back on topic: I often wonder if jumpseating wouldn't be so cut-throat if the airlines allowed as many jumpseaters as they have open seats. I mean, what's the cost of carrying a jumpseater? And isn't there a tangible benefit to having several qualified crew members (of any aircraft/operation) riding in the back?

Why just take one? Or two? Thankfully Alaska changed their policy but now they're overbooking all their flights...:rolleyes:

Sometimes you just can't win.

Re: Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...

mar said:
...or get more boys with ice cream. Know what I mean?

:)

MAR, come on man, can't ya see that I already have this lovely sheep. 737 captains don't do it for me anymore ;-(

In defense of AA gate agents

You can't generalize about any company's gate agents. I regularly jumpseat on AA and have seen both ends of the spectrum. Some will bend over backwards to get you onboard. Others get their delight when there are 30 open seats in back, but they can deny you a ride home because a Fed or Check Airman is on the jumpseat. I've also seen both ends of the spectrum at United. While the agents at smaller bases seem to be more helpful than those at major hubs, that's not always the case. Fortunately, most of them are nice if you treat them with respect. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, you'll occasionally run into somebody who will ruin your whole day.

I strongly believe in the golden rule of jumpseating. Treat others as you would like to be treated. I meet and cooperate with other jumpseaters in the gate area and I enthusiastically welcome as many offline jumpseaters as I can aboard my aircraft. My hope is that I'll get the same treatment when I'm trying to get to and from work.

How about this one:

I go back to use the lav, and notice 2 guys from an ATL-based 135 operator had gotten on in Wichita, riding back to ATL, in their matching company golf shirts.

I check the paperwork, and see that they are both jumpseating. It dawns on me that they either just dropped off an aircraft for MX or were coming back from sim training, either of which would be company business, and they should have been riding on a paid ticket. I tried to catch them getting off the airplane, but they had beat it out of there fast.

I turned that one over to our jumpseat coordinator. Nothing
p!sses me off more than some cheap-ass 135 operator telling their pilots to jumpseat somewhere on company business instead of paying for a ticket for them . . . . . that's a sure way to lose your privileges.

Ty...

I'd agree! I'm a 135 and would say thanks to anyone who takes us. I've never asked for a jumpseat for company business and have never been asked to, thankfully. Its stupid, they should have there priviliges revoked, and it ticks me off because it gives the 135 guys a bad rap.

Thanks again for those who will take us, and if the TSA ever pulls its head out of its rear, your welcome on my airplane any time....however, only one at a time....cause thats how many seats there are!

Latest resources

Back