Jumpseat loss due to CASS???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ciao for now

Are any of you guys being screwed over by your company because they are not getting CASS certified? I have been on a back to back schedule here in Europe but i heard that after January 1st we will lose almost ALL of our jumpseat benefits because of my company's "inability" to get certified...Any airlines that do not require CASS membership for now?? This sucks big time...

Nope, cant say that j/s has been lossed due to being non-cass. I just rode 3 different legs to get to LAX on the 3rd and I didn't have a problem. (Well except for the bitchy AA agent that wasnt happy that I was a walk up and not meal listed.) And my company isn't CASS yet.

Hi!

It is theoretically possible that sometime in the future an airline may lose JS privileges because they're not in CASS, but it's not happening now.

I've talked to a ton of NWA guys lately, and they've all said the same thing. If you're on the JS list AND in CASS, you can ride in the cockpit. If you're in CASS but NOT on the JS list, you're not getting on the plane. If you're ONLY on the JS list, you're on the plane, but not in the cockpit.

Cliff
YIP

Well I know...that is how it has been for years..It came to my attention that per Jan. 1st this would all change. And with US-Airways already in December.
Our Jumpseat coordinator said don't even try (especially international) Has anyone here non CASS.. jumpseated on the majors domestic/intern???? Jetbleu still allows us I think, but I am concerned about the rest

Well, years might be a stretch. It more like 4 years now.
US Airways still allows non-cass j/s.
My airline is non-cass (frieght) but I have not had a problem. I am a commuter and I commute coast to coast. That entails a minimum of two legs in one direction.
Either you misunderstood you j/s coordinator or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Thedude said:
Either you misunderstood you j/s coordinator or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Oh he/she knows what they are talking about. We have been told by TSA and the FAA through our DO that we cannot take jumpseaters for whom we don't contract with. i.e. We can take FedEx but not American or US Airways etc. it is function of access to the flightdeck......

It is the realm of reciprocity or the lack there of. Simple as that.. We cannot reciprocate with US Air so they have decided to remove us from their JS list.

The pilots have no control over this except to apply pressure through the union to achieve CASS implementation.

Last edited:
At QX if you are not on CASS/JACS you cann't sit up front, but if you are on our list you can have a seat in the back.

I just need to ask a really dumb question here. What is CASS? I don't exactly have the hours to get a real job yet, but just curious.

fogrunner said:
Oh he/she knows what they are talking about. We have been told by TSA and the FAA through our DO that we cannot take jumpseaters for whom we don't contract with. i.e. We can take FedEx but not American or US Airways etc. it is function of access to the flightdeck......

It is the realm of reciprocity or the lack there of. Simple as that.. We cannot reciprocate with US Air so they have decided to remove us from their JS list.

The pilots have no control over this except to apply pressure through the union to achieve CASS implementation.

You just ansewered you own question. You lost US Air because of your inablility to reciprocate. Not because of CASS.

Latest resources

Back