• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just about all airlines have a JS coordinator. I am the JS cordinator for Express Jet. (continental express). What decideds if we will set up an agreement with a 135 operator is whether or not 1, they can reciprocate, and 2, if thier routes would be a bennefit to our pilots.

Some airlines, like ours, have fairly liberal JS policies. We take unlimmitted jumpseaters and will let any FAR 121 carrier ride. 135 carriers are taken on a case by case basis.
The JS committee for each airline maintains the agreements and sets them up. Most 121 and some 135 carriers have a JS committee, and we communicate via a website. That way when issues arise we can deal with it more effectively.

I'm not in any way assuming you are trying to get your pilots "deadhead" priviledges for free as this thread seems to have drifted to, but that is a huge no-no. UPS almost lost thier js priv. awhile ago for a similar reason. (I have heard).

If you PM me what company you work for and the particulars I may be able to help you a bit more.

Good luck

Steve

Freightdog75 said:
Man you guys are pathetic....................
Maybe you dont realize why they do take it so seriously, but they are in the right.

Just think about it why it can be that bad. If you were traveling for personal reasons (see family, gf, wife, commuting home) would you want to not make a flight, because someone got there first before you, but was using it for their companies business, to help move a plane somewhere?

"Jumpseating" is like a professional courtesy arrangement. There are defintely certain protocols you follow. When you go into it not knowing how to go about it or what it is for, you are jeopardizing it for not just you and that flight, but other pilots as well. There are many instances of whole companies losing agreements because of pilots acting or saying something stupid. And it just makes it harder for everyone else after those episodes.

Be sure your pilots know exactly what it is for, what to do and what to say (and when to shut up in the cockpit). And also be sure they are not doing it to help the company.

Everyone will be better off in the end.

Freightdog75 said:
Well maybe the crews will take that into consideration when you and you employees try to hitch a ride.

I always chat with my potential jumpseaters for a bit before making the decision whether or not I am allowed to let them jumpseat under the regulations. This serves two purposes.

It's a friendly way to chat for a minute and get to know someone, and it allows me to see if this person is really a commercial pilot with a job and the related tickets, and not someone like was featured on "Catch me if you can".

I have denied jumpseats for pilots saying they had to go get into position for company business. A good example given is a CA and FO going to pick up a broken airplane that had been fixed. Yes, I have seen this. No, they did not get a free ride. Bottom line: If it's company business, your company needs you to buy you a ticket. I know this because the POS 135 operator I used to fly for always expected us to try to get the jumpseat to save them money. I pretty much just bought the ticket anyway and told them I got denied because of no JS agreement. That's NOT what the JS is for. It is a courtesy for YOU, if YOU need to go somewhere. Commuting to and from work is fine. That's still personal.

Freightdog: If what you are doing is for personal reasons to allow your guys more freedom to travel for "personal" reasons only, then I applaud your efforts and I hope we can do something for you and your guys. Just make sure and get our guys on too if you end up having space on something going somewhere cool.

Freightdog75 said:
Freightdog75,

I have lived your kind of house.. I flew freight and we had jumpseat agreements. This was prior to 9/11 and it was a good deal for us Part 135 pilots.

Airline pilots almost lost the VERY jumpseat privilige you are trying to get on that day. We still don't have it all back.

So while you are looking into the windows of our house, trying to get something for yourself, understand this;

It will only take one or two national media events of jumpseat fraud to have the jumpseating program removed all together. This would make 75,000 airline pilots VERY pissed off. A Part 135 pilot in Alaska committed jumpseat fraud and it wasn't pretty for us..... Jumpseating is a courtousy interpretation of FAR 121.547 via the FAA and also company policy. It's intent is for airline pilots to commute to work and personal travel. In return pilots provide a level of safety on board. Understanding Part 121 turbine operations is helpful.

If you want to jumpseat, understand it is quid pro quo. The fact is if you get a jumpseat agreement, it will benefit you much more than the agreeing airline/pilot group. Can you offer in kind what airline pilots can offer?

To be upfront, I'd rather not risk our highly valued jumpseat to accomondate a Part 135 carrier....

135 carriers, Part 91 fractionals have a bad rap for using pilots' jumpseat for repositioning..... Sad....but true.....

So we (I) maybe pathetic to you, but you are still looking in the windows of our house....and that is fine by me.....

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few....

Latest resources

Back