Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Freightdog75

Don't hassle the Hoff
Questions for all who may know truth, not guesses or rumors.

I'm the cheif pilot of a 135 operator in the southeast and am looking to get jumpseat privileges(sp?) for my guys. Our main base is CLT if that helps. We operate 26 different aircraft of many different types from CRW to ATL to SVH, and everywhere in between.

Chances of this happening(post 9/11)? Ideas, contacts? A starting point is badly needed.

Thanks for any and all info.

FD75

Yup, It's possible

Frieght Dog,
Yeah JS is possible, though not truely JS, it is more like space available travel in the back. I work for a 135 out of CHS and we have agreements with 2 different carriers. It works well when we have to repo a plane or if we leave one for maintenance. I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting set up with those agreements but try calling the hq of places like ASA, MESA... I would also check with some of the other 135 guys in CLT and see if they have agreements.

What type of a/c are you flying?

PP

You guys aren't using the jumpseat for company business are you? Jumpseats are for personal business ie: personal travel and commuting, if you are using the jumpseat to reposition crews for mx etc.. your company needs to buy tickets.

PalmettoPilot said:
Frieght Dog,
Yeah JS is possible, though not truely JS, it is more like space available travel in the back. I work for a 135 out of CHS and we have agreements with 2 different carriers. It works well when we have to repo a plane or if we leave one for maintenance. I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting set up with those agreements but try calling the hq of places like ASA, MESA... I would also check with some of the other 135 guys in CLT and see if they have agreements.

What type of a/c are you flying?

PP
Whoa! Thats a big no-no my friend, your company needs to be buying you tickets. You'll loose whatever agreements you have FAST and get blacklisted from getting them back ever if you aren't careful.

Standing Corrected

Thanks for the multiple corrections, since I never saw the agreement please don't skin me up just yet. I'll be sure to mention it to the boss. Just trying to do what I was told...

PalmettoPilot said:
Thanks for the multiple corrections, since I never saw the agreement please don't skin me up just yet. I'll be sure to mention it to the boss. Just trying to do what I was told...
Something tells me your boss knows full well whats going on....

Freightdog75 said:
Questions for all who may know truth, not guesses or rumors.

I'm the cheif pilot of a 135 operator in the southeast and am looking to get jumpseat privileges(sp?) for my guys. Our main base is CLT if that helps. We operate 26 different aircraft of many different types from CRW to ATL to SVH, and everywhere in between.

Chances of this happening(post 9/11)? Ideas, contacts? A starting point is badly needed.

Thanks for any and all info.

FD75

If you have your pilots use the jumpseat to repo planes, maint, etc.. your
jumpseat aggrement is toast! Your company needs to BUY tickets. It's apparent
you know nothing about the privilege.

Quote:
Something tells me your boss knows full well whats going on....
____

Wait, you mean a 135 Chief Pilot is knowingly breaking the rules? Unheard of....

Part 135 operators....

Don't think for a minute of using our jumpseat program to position crews. If you don't have enough money to operate, then don't operate.

[disclaimer: I worked for part 135 pax/frieght and simply got sick of these companies abusing pilots and doing anything for a buck. In addition as a jumpseat coordinator our airline cancelled an agreement due to companies moving thier pilots around on our airplanes. There are a few good 135 operators out there...but they are few and far between]

Any 135 operator that abuses an airline pilots privildge to jumpseat will be notified. Thier customers will be contacted and informed that use unethical business practices.

The jumpseat privilege is a negotiated right of pilot groups. It is for personal pilot use. It is extremely valuable to our quality of life and it will be fiercly protected and guarded from abusing companies that have no respect for the pilot groups/airlines who provide these agreements...

Here is a rule of thumb.

The only person that should ask a pilot to jumpseat is himself!

Latest resources

Back