• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat Etiquette (again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't suppose you could be modest or humble even if it was soley for your benefit.....

In addition if you read post #11 one can clearly see where you went on the offensive... here let me help...

A box of chocolates? I hope you're kidding. Just show common courtesy...say thanks for the ride and go to your seat. Jumpseating is not rocket science...don't dress like a buffoon nor act like a buffoon and you'll be fine. Even a thick skulled fighter guy can figure that sh*t out (i.e. myself). I can garauntee you chocolates are not required. If some dude brought me a box of chocolates I'd probably figure he's a complete flamer.

If you don't like the suggetion then leave your opinions to yourself. Then again this is a message board and all is fair game, so if you must reply then expect another. However, you failed to realize that your attitudes are offensive and took the citicizism quite personally. That says more of you....

J/S is not rocket science but it is not a benefit to be taken for granted. It must be protected.

In addition, you opened up the MIL/Fighter classification with the above bold and profile/avatar. You are Mr. Fighter Pilot who happens to fly a CAL Guppy, yet you don't realize you tell everyone you are....

Leave the competitive testosterone attitudes at the squadron. You need them there. However, we are all the same when Flying the Line... no one is better than the other... Hence the profession....

Last edited:
Because it is a priviledge not a right. Many union volunteers have spent lots of personal time working to ensure the jumpseat is available for all pilots. Some pilot groups have spent negotiating captial to solidfy jumpseating into it being just a bit more than a priviledge...ergo a negotiated right.

Many of us need the jumpseat to get to work. We've spent allot of time getting CASS online. It can be taken away. And jumpseat agreements have been voided between pilot groups, it usually comes from arrogant pilots, MIL guys too, believe it or not, that cause a stink......

For example there was a MIL pilot who was working his CIV job and was jumpseating home. He was offered a beer by the FA. He used his combat air tactics training to "convince" himself to go for it....("the fighter pilot in me said go for it!") Not very bright.

There is a mindset amongst some that the MIL guys decide to fly for the airlines and think that jumpseating is just another entitlement or rightful perk (as they j/s to guard weekend.) It is attitudes like that...that result in others having to clean up someone elses mess. And it puts us on edge that the privledge will change for the worst...Are you one of them?

What is wrong with jumpseating to go do mil service?

What is wrong with jumpseating to go do mil service?

Nothing... that is what it is there for. The issue is the attitude that the j/s is an entitlement.. and to take for granted that many guys...(MIL guys included) that work hard to ensure the j/s is there.....

Some guys work to preserve it behind the scenes and while jumpseating... other guys just use it...

This isn't a MIL issue... it is an attitude issue... some guys just applied an extra helping of the MIL factor....

Last edited:
Hey as$hole, what's your problem? Does saying "use common sense and be friendly" make me own a BIG watch and a sunglass case (whatever the hell that means)? You're pathetic - again, I don't care what you did in your past flying, I just want to get home...like every other one of us. By the way, my BIG watch is a casio that's 3 years old.

And dude, you're not cracking me up - you're actually not funny in the least.

When I ride your jumpseat, I'll make sure I refrain from using my hands and talking about parking my Ninja.

Scrap

You sure are a defensive person, maybe some truth to what people say???:bawling: :beer:

I don't suppose you could be modest or humble even if it was soley for your benefit.....

In addition if you read post #11 one can clearly see where you went on the offensive... here let me help...

If you don't like the suggetion then leave your opinions to yourself. Then again this is a message board and all is fair game, so if you must reply then expect another. However, you failed to realize that your attitudes are offensive and took the citicizism quite personally. That says more of you....

J/S is not rocket science but it is not a benefit to be taken for granted. It must be protected.

In addition, you opened up the MIL/Fighter classification with the above bold and profile/avatar. You are Mr. Fighter Pilot who happens to fly a CAL Guppy, yet you don't realize you tell everyone you are....

Leave the competitive testosterone attitudes at the squadron. You need them there. However, we are all the same when Flying the Line... no one is better than the other... Hence the profession....

Rez - just to clarify, the "thick skulled fighter guy" moniker was making at joke at myself. Humor is hard to pass on the net.

And I apologize for my tirade earlier...it wasn't professional, so please accept my apology. As for the mil "not understanding how to jumpseat," etc...please get over it. Like you said, it's not rocket science - and doesn't require anything other than common sense and courtesy.

Cool? Cool.

So, when Scrap is a guest at someone else's place for dinner, the rule might be:

1. Show up. "What's for dinner?"
2. Inhale dinner
3. Thanks for dinner, and bolt.

Personally, I occassionally expose myself to the crew. On one hand, it shows how I can be vulnerable. On the other hand, some find it impressive.

The rest of the time, I open my wallet and just tell them to take what they think is fair.

I might write this stuff down in a book to help mil guys transition. Maybe they can make it part of TAP.

LOL! Great post!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back