• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat Etiquette (again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of large Papa Johns pizzas is even better than the chocolate.

They put something in that garlic butter dipping sauce that makes you crave it fortnightly. Mmm

Scrapdog.... as you know us Civie types don't have the confidence and "swagger" as you tactical guys.... We just don't have that DoD mystic and Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur... I mean.... you kill people!!!! How cool is that! And how can I compete.... I am half the man and only 1/4 the pilot...

So I bring a box of chocolate (on long haul flights...) ...and I say yes, please, thank you and good afternoon.... Sometimes I pull a F/As rollerbag from the overhead when they are deplaning too... they really like that. Often I ask the gate agent if they'd like a soda or coffee. When I j/s on Fedex I bring the reservation ladies something and the pilots too, even though I took FedEx pilots when the the FedEx j/s wasn't reciprocated. I was glad to take the FedEx pilots and ensure they felt welcome. Many believed they would get denied because of their internal politics with the company and thus, the inability {of FedEx pilots} to take off line. But that isn't my style. What really made my day was, as PIC, having a fighter guy grace my flightdeck with his presence. He didn't have to tell me how great he was....he just oozed awesomeness. I'd tell the FO "there goes a real man... he jumpseats without chocolate bars cause he is Magister mundi sum." Well, this is the max limit of my capability since I don't do all that other cool and awe inspiring stuff...

But hey, who am I compared to you. I just thought since I've been commuting for 8 years, was a jumpseat coordinator and wrote a j/s guide, I might pass on an idea. Next time I'll refer to You.

Since the 20+ years my family has given in service isn't enough.......Thanks for your service to our country....

Agreed. As a suggestion, pick up one or two of those Hershey's variety bags that has the little Halloween size bars in it. Easy to pack. And don't forget, on a long haul, it's nice to have something for the crew on your JS back. JS'ed to Europe once, I showed the bag to the FA's, one of them went batsh1t crazy for the Hershey Dark Chocolate and took all of them out of the bag.

Needless to say, the lead DEMANDED I sit in first class, stowed my bag, and treated me like a king.

Personally I don't really want the goodies, but I know my flight attendants love it if a js brings them something. What floored me the other day was the FedEx guy who seemed to feel it was beneath him to come up and introduce himself. After I asked the FA to send him up to say 'hi' I explained to him that even though the gate agents are now clearing them we would still like it if they'd say hello to us. He responded with what I could only describe as a sh*t-eating grin, and I later found out from my FA's that he told them he rarely if ever goes up front to 'check-in' with the captain. This was an 'older' pilot going from ATL-MGM, if any of you FedExers know who this is, please pass along a friendly reminder of how to js properly.

-Blucher

Agreed. As a suggestion, pick up one or two of those Hershey's variety bags that has the little Halloween size bars in it. Easy to pack. And don't forget, on a long haul, it's nice to have something for the crew on your JS back. JS'ed to Europe once, I showed the bag to the FA's, one of them went batsh1t crazy for the Hershey Dark Chocolate and took all of them out of the bag.

Needless to say, the lead DEMANDED I sit in first class, stowed my bag, and treated me like a king.

Would you all please stop trying to fatten up the FAs with candy. The last thing some of these gals need is empty calories. Do me, you, and all men that fly a favor and bring them a small salad with a fat-free dressing and hold the croutons.

Many of us need the jumpseat to get to work. We've spent allot of time getting CASS online. It can be taken away. And jumpseat agreements have been voided between pilot groups, it usually comes from arrogant pilots, MIL guys too, believe it or not, that cause a stink......

For example there was a MIL pilot who was working his CIV job and was jumpseating home. He was offered a beer by the FA. He used his combat air tactics training to "convince" himself to go for it....("the fighter pilot in me said go for it!") Not very bright.

There is a mindset amongst some that the MIL guys decide to fly for the airlines and think that jumpseating is just another entitlement or rightful perk (as they j/s to guard weekend.) It is attitudes like that...that result in others having to clean up someone elses mess. And it puts us on edge that the privledge will change for the worst...Are you one of them?

Hey Rez - how about a nice cup of shut the f*ck up? "Mil guys ruin it, mil guys don't know how to jumpseat, mil guys are arrogant...yada, yada" You sound like a very bad broken record. Honestly, get over yourself ok?? I don't give 2 sh*ts if you wrote 26 novels on the development of the jumpseat...all I said earlier is it is common sense - be nice and that's all it takes. Never have I brought up any tactical talk to ride a jumpseat - give me a f*cking break. Not only is it retarded, but neither the FA's or the pilots would have any clue what I was talking about unless they had a mil background themselves. Get your civilian vs. military panties out of a wad...it's really getting old. I say just use common sense and right away I'm the bad guy fighter jock with a big watch because I don't agree with all your hoopla. I NEVER mention I'm a mil guy unless asked when I ride the jumpseat - I honestly really don't care nor do I give a flying f*ck if the dude flying flew RJ's or A380's, I just want to get home or get to work.

The one thing I will say is thank you for appreciating my service. I think you said that in jest trying to be an as$hole, but I'll still say thank you - I enjoy serving our country. Now please, get off your high horse about your jumpseat garbage and let's just agree that all it takes is a little common sense and courtesy ok?

Typical fighter pilot. Just show 'em your BIG watch and sunglass case. That'll get you up front. Also you might use your hands when you describe how you backed your Ninja into that tight parking spot.

Dude. You're cracking me up.

Gup

Hey as$hole, what's your problem? Does saying "use common sense and be friendly" make me own a BIG watch and a sunglass case (whatever the hell that means)? You're pathetic - again, I don't care what you did in your past flying, I just want to get home...like every other one of us. By the way, my BIG watch is a casio that's 3 years old.

And dude, you're not cracking me up - you're actually not funny in the least.

When I ride your jumpseat, I'll make sure I refrain from using my hands and talking about parking my Ninja.

Scrap

Whoa, easy big fella.

Personally, I occassionally expose myself to the crew. On one hand, it shows how I can be vulnerable. On the other hand, some find it impressive.

The rest of the time, I open my wallet and just tell them to take what they think is fair.

I might write this stuff down in a book to help mil guys transition. Maybe they can make it part of TAP.

Last edited:
:puke:
Hey as$hole, what's your problem? Does saying "use common sense and be friendly" make me own a BIG watch and a sunglass case (whatever the hell that means)? You're pathetic - again, I don't care what you did in your past flying, I just want to get home...like every other one of us. By the way, my BIG watch is a casio that's 3 years old.

And dude, you're not cracking me up - you're actually not funny in the least.

When I ride your jumpseat, I'll make sure I refrain from using my hands and talking about parking my Ninja.

Scrap

What a jerk!

Latest resources

Back