• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat Etiquette (again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cookies not required...The reference to your avatar is merely that it's the military dudes that seem to have the lack of etiquette, simply because they went from their fighter (such as you) straight to a major carrier, and basically had no training in "etiquette". It's not a slam on military dudes, it's just a fact of what I've seen out on the line in 20 years of doing this shat. I used ta not really give a shat, but I guess the older and crustier I get the less tolerance I have for the top gun showing up expecting a ride cause he's got an ID and a pilot's license. (I'm with XXX airlines, and I'm "going with ya".) You do as ya see fit, and so will I.

Keep the shiny side up.

Last edited:
When I fly on YOUR jumpseat, I'll not only be polite, but I'll also bring you a batch of cookies (to show I'm "new skool" and not "old skool"). I think that takes care of all bases. Deal? Good. Case closed.

Hi Scrapdog....

I think we have more in common than not.... and it really comes down to a different mindset..... since you and Moose have zero problems jumpseating..you can't be doing it wrong.... it is just a different path to get to the same result....

When you do ride his jumpseat though, bring cookies, like you said... I suggest from scratch too... don't buy already baked and don't get the dough tube either were you just cut and bake...

Start with flour, eggs and milk... lots of sugar too... finally take a picture of you in your zoom suit with an apron on...bare feet too, bending fwd placing the cookie sheet into the oven.... Finally, you dirty boy,...give em an Orbit Fresh Smile..... FABULOUS!!

Rezfully yours.....

Peace! :beer:

Jolly Ranchers BABY,

besst 2.94 I ever spent.

usually lasts 2 commutes and get me a very nice seat when Jumpseating may be a free beer also.
thanks to all who let me ride.

I guess it all depends on who you jumpseat with. If the CA is a mil guy, I usually give the secret hand shake and show him nude pictures of my wife. When the CA doesn't have a mil background I excuse myself to the lav and leave a Cleveland Steamer in the sink. That's my $.02.

I realize my actions are a tad childish, but so is this whole debate on the mil vs. civil jumpseating. So I guess what I'm saying is...maybe everyone deserves to see the nudies of my wife .........

We did. When you last jumpseated out of town. And they weren't pictures!!;)

PHXFLYR:cool:

Well..... I was DHDing the other day and and an off line ex-MIL pilot was jumpseating..... in jeans..... nice guy.... but I'd never wear jeans to jumpseat....unless it was policy... (FX)... sometimes I still wear a tie with dress slacks...

Well..... I was DHDing the other day and and an off line ex-MIL pilot was jumpseating..... in jeans..... nice guy.... but I'd never wear jeans to jumpseat....unless it was policy... (FX)... sometimes I still wear a tie with dress slacks...

Rez, please...for God's sakes, just shut the heck up. Before I was on mil leave, we had a Colgan guy show up wearing jeans as well....and he was far, far from current or ex-mil. See my point here?

Just let this absolutely ridiculous thread die. It is so stupid, it's almost eye watering. BTW, guess what...I recently jumpseated (IN SLACKS and W/OUT COOKIES). It worked out like a champ.

Agreed on this being a stupid thread.

The guys who bitch about mil guys somehow having a secret society are usually the ones who couldn't get into UPT. I've seen thousands of jump seaters in my career and some are idiots some aren't. It's got nothing to do with mil or civ. Just be polite, shake hands and sit down.

As far as not allowing scabs on the jump seat. All the "hardcore" ALPAists, or ALPAers, have to remember that it was the all holy ALPA that allowed scabs back in the union. Now that they are members in good standing you really shouldn't kick them off of the jumpseat. After all, aren't we all, scabs and non-scabs, union "brothers" now?

Latest resources

Back