Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Judge Imposed Overtime at Delta - What ever came out of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is leverage for us if we had the collective will.

And that, my friend, will be the problem. History has shown that if there's open flying to be done, there are greedy pr**ks there that will do it.

BTW, I saw your missive, "FO quits" and it was completely hysterical. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long while. I think it qualifies as fiction uncomfortably close to the bone.

General Lee said:
Does it distract too much from my message? Or does anyone even listen to my "message"? It is a cool picture. That would be neat seeing that driving down the streets of Fallujah.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,

No, it does not distract from your messages. I had a solid black paint job on my Hummv in Iraq. Cool looking only, that made it hot as hell in the summer.

:uzi:Yeah GL, great picture. Hopefully the guys in it use that gun on top to put down some SERIOUS LEAD on the insurgents. HEE HEE

General Lee said:
If you are trying to compare that to now, the Federal Courts cannot get involved with a potential strike. Even our last BK judge, judge Purdy, stated that to our CFO while he was on the stand.
Bye Bye--General Lee

GL, good point. Another difference between then and now is that during C2K we were in section 6 negotiatons to amend our contract. During section 6 negotiations both sides must adhere to the status quo until released for self help. "Status quo" entails not only the written contract, but also past practices, which may or may not be in the PWA. We are not in section 6 negotiations today. Whole different ball game.

AMRCostUnit said:
Thanks GL. I was just wondering what the precedent was should we here at AA decide to spend some more time with our families.

Unit

My advice is to mind your own business and not worry about what other pilots do or do not do. IF your union leadership states, "we are directing a LEGAL AND LAWFUL withholding of service IAW the Railway Labor Act" (i.e. it will never happen until you are at least beyond a 30-day cooling off period) then and only then should you impress upon other pilots that they should not fly open time. Until that moment, anyone who says that another pilot should "toe the line" (without any sort of direction other than anonymous postings on a bulletin board or bathroom stalls) is crossing into "goon/thug" territory.

A few years ago we had an American captain on the jumpseat, shortly after your sickout. He asked me, "how would you like it if you showed up for a trip, just like any other trip you've ever flown, and guys are calling you a SCAB because you did not call in sick?" See my point? When some anonymous "they" (who never publicly identify themselves--oh no, that is only for the "bad guys") decide what others should or should not do, rarely do things turn out better for the pilot group.

That does not mean that you SHOULD fly OT. If you are (rightfully) angry about yet another mgmt ploy to steal more $ for themselves, I understand. If you wish to spend more time at home, knock yourself out. I myself never fly OT, because I am too busy at home. But you can't make that decision for others. It also opens up a whole other can of worms.

If a guy drops a trip, and then picks up another to make up the time, is he "picking up overtime?"

If a guy's initial bid award results in a high time line, merely due to the end result of the bid run, is he a "bad guy" for not trying to trade a four-day trip for a three-day so as to reduce his monthly total? How would you know? How would his monthly totals be any different than another guy who picked up a one-day trip after a three-day?

At DAL you can see if a guy picks up time, but you can't see if he swapped a low-time trip for a higher one. Are you going to check out every individual pilot's schedule and try and track what they are or are not doing every day, all so they can "spend more time with their families?"

Etc.

General Lee said:
We settled the contract later for the best contract in history.

Sorry General, that's kinda funny.

General Lee said:
Even our last BK judge, judge Purdy, stated that to our CFO while he was on the stand.

GL,

Go back and read the transcripts. Prudence did not say that federal courts could not get involved. She told Ed that she didn't think SHE could stop a strike. And she's right. Bankruptcy court is not where one would go to get an injuction for such matters nor does the bankruptcy court have any jurisdiction in such matters.

However, don't think for a New York minute that Delta wouldn't go to a different courthouse and get such an injunction. We should not be afraid of this... the ATA should .... because it's a precident that needs to be set and something that does indeed need to be defined (personally I don't see how any judge could say you are enjoined by the RLA after a contract gets tossed, but with the current administration in the white house, nothing would surprise me).

So what does that mean for Delta pilots? Do you think our leadership is strong enough to act like the New York transit workers and ignore an injuction? Somehow, I don't see that happening here. It would be nice, and it would force labor to the national spotlight again, but I've seen nothing to suggest this is our stategy.

My concern is the precident we set while working without a contract while the right to strike issue makes its way through all the courts. I would hope at the very least we could get an injuction to prevent the contract from getting tossed while the case is being heard. Of course Delta probably does have the gumption to ignore their injuction.....

General Lee said:
Even our last BK judge, judge Purdy, stated that to our CFO while he was on the stand.

GL,

Go back and read the transcripts. Prudence did not say that federal courts could not get involved. She told Ed that she didn't think SHE could stop a strike. And she's right. Bankruptcy court is not where one would go to get an injuction for such matters nor does the bankruptcy court have any jurisdiction in such matters.

However, don't think for a New York minute that Delta wouldn't go to a different courthouse and get such an injunction. We should not be afraid of this... the ATA should .... because it's a precident that needs to be set and something that does indeed need to be defined (personally I don't see how any judge could say you are enjoined by the RLA after a contract gets tossed, but with the current administration in the white house, nothing would surprise me).

So what does that mean for Delta pilots? Do you think our leadership is strong enough to act like the New York transit workers and ignore an injuction? Somehow, I don't see that happening here. It would be nice, and it would force labor to the national spotlight again, but I've seen nothing to suggest this is our stategy.

My concern is the precident we set while working without a contract while the right to strike issue makes its way through all the courts. I would hope at the very least we could get an injuction to prevent the contract from getting tossed while the case is being heard. Of course Delta probably does have the gumption to ignore their injuction.....

Latest resources

Back