• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Judge blocks strike at Mesaba

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone is missing the point. This is not just Tom and the pilots battle, it's everyones.

A national strike at all airlines should take place.

It is everyones battle.

FedEx guys just signed a sweet TA. Life is good. Explain to them why they should strike.

How are you going to get APA, SWAPA, NPA and IPA guys to strike?

The 1998 Pinnacle agreement was the benchmark...NWA asked for a copy of it. Now maybe it is Mesaba's. NWA wants the absolute lowest cost system wide...now they will get it.

Does the term "slave" mean anything to anyone?

You can not compare this to slavery. Slaves didn't have the option to quit(they could run, but may be hung or shot) and were forced to work for their master without pay.

I hate what is happening at Mesaba, but you can not compare this to the atrosity that is/was slavery.

Relax, emotions are working high right now. We really don't believe we're slaves. We are just tired and frustrated. It has been one thing after another for the last five years. I think there will be quite a few who quit in the next couple of months. I don't believe there will be a mass resignation. However, almost 90% of guys are looking to get out with the exception of a few lifers who have said already that they are looking forward to the 900s. These are the guys who couldn't get a job anywhere anyways. BTW, I have flown with them and most of the FOs know it's true.

Are you sure it is couldn't or wouldn't...from what I have seen, many have other incomes, spouses that do well, or have kids and want to see them grow up without having to continually commute or keep displacing their family.

Yeah it is couldn't with a few exception of wouldn't. There are indeed quite a few exceptional senior guys but with the latest downgrades, most are back in the Saab. Most that are still in the Avro couldn't. Made me sick the other day when the captain was so excited about flying the new 900s. I didn't even say a word. Just looked out the window realizing that we will be the worst in the industry. There's not even a close second. Like anything on here though, this is all just my opinion. I respect you for yours.

Again, to reiterate:

This is not just a Mesaba problem any more.

Judge Kishels horrendous ruling is a direct attact on all unionized labor everywhere.

FedEx is the way they are because the company is just plain fantastically wealthy, and they know that content labor will deliver the results they need to stay successful.

Every other company with unionized labor is now in the big sinking ship called Mesaba.

As lame as it sounds, a huge pro-labor, pro-union media push would come in handy right now. Like it or not, a lot of battles are fought and won in the media these days. As long as Ms. Costello keeps spewing her lies about how the company wants to negotiate, most (ignorant) readers will think that Mesaba is being reasonable. Then, you all can just sit back and wait for the poison to reach a unionized work force near you.

I know that the media is very limited, but it sure would be nice to start working towards the goal of having an educated and informed citizenry again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back