• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jr. Bases for ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think so. Good luck living there on $19/hr.

Talking to a few IP's yesterday they told me that ASA is having difficulty filling new hire classes. It seems that more than 500 hours total is considered "high time" these days. Not that they are having trouble training the people, but ASA just can't attract experienced pilots.

Hmmmmm.....

Talking to a few IP's yesterday they told me that ASA is having difficulty filling new hire classes.

Hmmmmm.....
Sometimes you have to laugh & shake your head. ASA also is short of IP's to do the training, right after they RIF'd 8 guys out of the department during contract negotiations and the 70 seat transfer. Seems like several "unexpected" events have made for a reverse shocker, if you know what I mean:
  • Charlie Tutt writes everyone telling them how dismal ASA's future is without concessions.
  • Most people figure if ASA's future is dismal, they want their future to be somewhere else and they begin looking for jobs.
  • Airlines like to hire other airlines' Instructor Pilots
  • and ASA is so short of 70 seat pilots right now that they can not spare any line guys to go into the training department.
  • oh - and it takes over a year to fully train an IP. Longer if you want them to be fully Certified for Type Ratings, etc....
In the mean time Continental Express (who is having a tough time of it lately) is still turning in better numbers than SkyWest - who explains their cost shortfall as being related to pilot training costs and maintenance costs associated with the transfer of airplanes. What gives?

Why do airline managers spend more time, resources, and aggravation trying to beat up the productive members of their staff than supporting them with the vision of providing a safe, reliable, on time, and friendly product?

To SkyWest's credit, things have improved in the G.O. from an attitude standpoint. The schedulers are better and most folks return calls to line employees (a huge turn around actually) but still, you can't tell me the transfer of the 70 seat jets is justified when the Company has moved on pay rates, the costs to transfer the airplanes was enormous and now staffing is reaching critical levels. What are we going to do after April when the block hours Delta wants us to perform traditionally go up? February is supposed to be one of the slower months.

Could it be that ASA loses flying to Republic and Mesa simply because we can not staff the operation?

Sometimes you have to laugh & shake your head. ASA also is short of IP's to do the training, right after they RIF'd 8 guys out of the department during contract negotiations and the 70 seat transfer. Seems like several "unexpected" events have made for a reverse shocker, if you know what I mean:
  • Charlie Tutt writes everyone telling them how dismal ASA's future is without concessions.
  • Most people figure if ASA's future is dismal, they want their future to be somewhere else and they begin looking for jobs.
  • Airlines like to hire other airlines' Instructor Pilots
  • and ASA is so short of 70 seat pilots right now that they can not spare any line guys to go into the training department.
  • oh - and it takes over a year to fully train an IP. Longer if you want them to be fully Certified for Type Ratings, etc....
In the mean time Continental Express (who is having a tough time of it lately) is still turning in better numbers than SkyWest - who explains their cost shortfall as being related to pilot training costs and maintenance costs associated with the transfer of airplanes. What gives?

Why do airline managers spend more time, resources, and aggravation trying to beat up the productive members of their staff than supporting them with the vision of providing a safe, reliable, on time, and friendly product?

To SkyWest's credit, things have improved in the G.O. from an attitude standpoint. The schedulers are better and most folks return calls to line employees (a huge turn around actually) but still, you can't tell me the transfer of the 70 seat jets is justified when the Company has moved on pay rates, the costs to transfer the airplanes was enormous and now staffing is reaching critical levels. What are we going to do after April when the block hours Delta wants us to perform traditionally go up? February is supposed to be one of the slower months.

Could it be that ASA loses flying to Republic and Mesa simply because we can not staff the operation?

Any word on if they are still sending people to LA or not just wondering, and the powers that be should consider changing the name of this board from regionals to the whine and complain board.

Any word on if they are still sending people to LA or not just wondering, and the powers that be should consider changing the name of this board from regionals to the whine and complain board.
You could probably get either base right now and if you got the choice you did not want, you could bid back in a month, or two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input.

He likes it there.... he left AWAC for ASA to not have to commute anymore. The pay is what it is, he was commuting to PHL for 6 months on RSV here and flew 125 hours in six months, so ASA will at least utilize him or he'll sit at home.... and the over/under block sounds pretty cool too. I think he said there are 3 classes scheduled behind him all approx. 20 people.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back