• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL000

Philanthropist and Entrepreneur John Walton Killed in Airplane Crash
Monday June 27, 8:19 pm ET

BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- It is with great sorrow that Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., announces the death of John Walton. A Vietnam War hero, member of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors and philanthropist, Walton was killed when the ultra-light aircraft he was piloting crashed shortly after take-off from the Jackson Hole Airport in Grand Teton National Park. The crash occurred at approximately 1:20 p.m. CDT and the cause has not yet been determined. Walton, 58, was the aircraft's sole occupant.

Walton was the second son of Wal-Mart founder, Sam Walton.

As a board member of the Walton Family Foundation, Walton played a leading role in guiding the Foundation's contributions to elementary and high school education, including scholarship programs to provide parents with greater choice in education.

Walton served in the U.S. Army Green Berets as a medic during the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Silver Star for saving the lives of several members of his unit while under intense enemy fire.

Walton pursued a variety of business interests throughout his life, including work as a crop duster in the 1970s and as a boat builder in the 1980s and 1990s. More recently, Walton formed the holding company True North, which is composed of businesses ranging from advanced composites to boat building to venture capital investments.

Walton has been a member of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors since 1992.

Walton attended the College of Wooster. He is survived by his wife Christy and their son, Luke; his mother Helen; two brothers, Rob and Jim; a sister, Alice; and their families.

No funeral arrangements have been announced.
Source: Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

sorry for his family. that's tragic. same thing just happened in my hometown to a prominent surgeon, the partner of the guy who did my ACL.

but walton's still helped to turn that company in to the evil empire it is today. his dad must be spinning in the grave...

Which one of the Walton brothers owns the 900EX and lives somewhere on the east coast? Was it this one?

Brett Hull said:
Which one of the Walton brothers owns the 900EX and lives somewhere on the east coast? Was it this one?

Neither... One lives in Little Rock(Jim, the owner of ARVEST bank) and the other in Northwest Arkansas.

I guess that low prices aren't the only thing coming down at Wal-Mart.

Someone had to say it.

flyifrvfr said:
I guess that low prices aren't the only thing coming down at Wal-Mart.

Someone had to say it.
I was waiting for that one...without anticipation. Way to take the low road.

That dude was the 11th richest man on the planet...worth over 18 Billion, an the poor bugger died in a homebuilt, 2-nickel POS Stringbag ?

Wow !..........................

cforst513 said:
sorry for his family. that's tragic. same thing just happened in my hometown to a prominent surgeon, the partner of the guy who did my ACL.

but walton's still helped to turn that company in to the evil empire it is today. his dad must be spinning in the grave...

Any human death is tragic. Best wishes to the Walton family.

The dearly departed is not the main Walton responsible for WalMarts direction since his father died. Rob Walton, who used to own a Citation X (and may still do so, I don't keep up) was the son who decided to take over the reins after his fathers death. Sister Alice was already busy as an investment banker and horsewoman. I think that John was probably the best one of the bunch. RIP.

enigma

Latest resources

Back