Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rfresh

B-777
(I don't know where this question should really go so I'm posting it here)

I've been reading about the lawsuit that John Travolta has now filed against his neighbors in Florida to counter their suit against him for keeping his noisy B-707 at his "house".

I'm curious as to what others think about him and his B-707 activities?

If you have ever flown around Ocala, you have seen his 707 and his Gulfstream parked at his house. The house sits at the end of a 10,000 foot runway. The few other houses there have hangars as well. I know they used to have a monthly fly-in breakfast. Unless there has been significant development around his runway/house I have no idea what people are complaining about.

If you live in a fly-in community, how can you whine about airplane noise?

I saw an aerial view of his GII parked in his "drive way" and then I saw a pic of his 707 parked in the same place. It was obvious to me his taxi way/drive way was not designed for an airplane the size of a 707 - the GII just fit - the 707 obviously didn't fits but he's making it fit.

I tend to agee with you about living in such an environment and that you should not therefore complain about airport noise. However, not many people know how loud a 707 is - it has what is called pure turbojet engines vs any kind of turbofan jet engine (early turbofans or later high bypass ratio turbofans) - turbojets are extremely loud and 4 of them at full power has to be heard to be 'appreciated'. I'm not sure any of his neighbors expected *that* level of noise but I'm thinking he probably doesn't fly it in and out that often.

I have actually been to his house a couple of years back and the 707 fits in there just fine. It sits just outside his living room. The G-II sits to the left and just outside of his bedroom. There is plenty of room for both aircraft to move. He has a tug to push them both back onto the taxiway. He also has a couple of ultra-lights from what I understand that he also flies regularly.

Overall the design of the house is great. It was very custom and really classy on the inside. It was very cool to get the chance to see his house. I only wish I could have met him.

"it has what is called pure turbojet engines vs any kind of turbofan jet engine."

Actually, his airplane does not have pure turbojet engines. His airplane has low-bypass-ratio turbofans... not that they're that much quieter than pure turbojet engines.

I think his airplane has Pratt and Whitney JT3D (stage 2) engines, which are a turbofan variant of the pure turbojet JT3C.

I dunno about meeting him. . . the only movie I thought he was worth a scheiss in was "Pulp Fiction", and anyone who is even vaguely familiar with the principles of Scientology has to wonder WTFO??? It's pretty much like saying "I attend the First Church of Star Wars" (but without the special effects. . . .)!

Only in Hollyweird . . . and Clearwater. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Had a Fed in the jumpseat a few years ago who said he took JT's ticket for 180 days for low passes with the 707 over his house somewhere in New England I think. The neighbors complained about the noise and they got him for careless/reckless operation.

Also I think JT had a Citation before he had his instrument ticket, had to fly everywhere below 18K. Heard that one at Chuck Hall's in Ramona, CA.

But you know what they say about rumors...

Latest resources

Back