Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
COA call outs and interviews are happening as we speek. Buddy of mine confirms

I just got this today. Seems they are looking for 2 assistants (no experience or DX certificate req'd, HS diploma) w/ upgrade to FAA DX certificate in 6 months, don't know what that means. The bar looks to be set very low for a chance for a major airline DX gig.

Is the well running dry?

Assistant Dispatcher - Houston, TX - HQS

Job ID: 470315 # Positions: 2 Location: US-TX-Houston Category: Flight Operations / Dispatch Position Type: Full Time

Overview CASH BONUSES.
ENDLESS POTENTIAL.
YOU EVEN GET TO RIDE IN THE CORPORATE JET.

At Continental we reward your efforts with real advantages - like cash bonuses, profit sharing, and travel privileges. After all, you make the difference. We think you should enjoy the results.

Assistant Dispatcher - HQS
Houston, TX

Equal Opportunity Employer by Choice.

Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of Continental's policies.

NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Responsibilities Must be willing and able to relocate to Chicago when SOCC moves approximately May/June 2012.

• Assist the dispatch group in the release and control of the movement of aircraft.
  • Will perform administrative duties that may include but not limited to: Administer/manage dispatcher schedule including trade processing, filling of open/overtime shifts, listing jump-seat riders, assisting stations with issues concerning FLIFO, assist Operations Director as requested, process schedule messages, other duties as assigned.
Qualifications
  • Must possess a high school diploma/GED or equivalent.
  • FAA issued Aircraft Dispatcher License preferred but not required. Must obtain license within 6 months of employment. (Please note: Per the FAA, you must be at least 23 years of age to obtain a dispatchers' license).
  • Must be able to work any shift/any day including holidays in a 24 hour operation.
  • Must pass TSA background check.
  • Must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Please be advised:
This job requires working in an area covered by the City of Houston Ordinance Against Smoking - City Code Chapter 21.

NOTE: In order to be considered for this position, all steps in the online process must be completed.

Go back to the welcome page
Need further assistance?

Applicant Tracking Software

Coa

Interesting....I wonder if this is just for the assistants or the regular dispatch positions they had open? If it is for the regular dispatch positions, I wonder what their criteria is for calling you for an interview, because I have not gotten anything from them or UAL for the postings they had. I meet all the quals, but no word.

Interesting....I wonder if this is just for the assistants or the regular dispatch positions they had open? If it is for the regular dispatch positions, I wonder what their criteria is for calling you for an interview, because I have not gotten anything from them or UAL for the postings they had. I meet all the quals, but no word.

One would think that if one qualifies, and they were not called for the DX position, they would automatically be rolled over to the assistant pile.

Hawaiian has posted

Requisition Number 11-0760 Post Date 11/1/2011 Title Dispatcher Department Dispatch City Honolulu State HI Part-Time No Part-Time Weekend No Shift Varies Days Off Varies Description 1. Handles communication, SABRE computer FOS and reservations systems, telephone communications and the filing of flight plans.
2. Assists in handling of emergencies, flight operation irregularities or schedule interruptions.
3. Evaluates and monitors past and present weather reports, forecasts and advisories that will affect the areas of operation over which he/she will exercise flight control.
4. Collects and processes NOTAMS (Notices to Airmen), Firing Notices, Operational Bulletins, hourly weather reports and forecasts and makes them available to flight crews including dissemination to stations and offices as required.
5. Shares joint responsibilities with the Pilot-in-Command for the Dispatch Release of a flight in compliance with Federal Aviation Regulation and Operations Specifications.
6. Exercises a continuous watch over each aircraft in flight, keeping the Pilot-in-Command and stations along the route fully informed of all conditions which might affect its operations.
7. Performs other duties as required or assigned.

Requirements 1. Must have some typing skills.
2. Must have good command of English language, both oral and written.
3. Must be able to work with all levels of employees under pressure.
4. Related experience preferred.
5. SABRE computer experience desirable.
6. FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate required.
7. Must have high school diploma or its equivalent.

*DOT regulations, 49 CFR part 40 identifies this position as performing safety-sensitive functions. You will be required to undergo DOT pre-employment drug testing to determine the presence of Marijuana, Cocaine, Opiates, PCP (Phencyclidine) and Amphetamine prior to any offer of employment or transfer into this position.

I had a buddy that was going to interview with Hawaiian earlier this year. They would not fly him there, and you were on your own for travel and lodging. We all know how easy it is the non-rev to Hawaii right?

I had a buddy that was going to interview with Hawaiian earlier this year. They would not fly him there, and you were on your own for travel and lodging. We all know how easy it is the non-rev to Hawaii right?

Are you serious???!!! Wow, that is insane

I think that is their roundabout way of saying "Haoles" need not apply. There is a strong racial preference in our 50th state that would not fly in the other 49. Fair or not, they seem to prefer native Hawaiians over other US citizens. Just ask anyone that has lived there.

For what they pay (~$19/hr) one could not afford a cot over there.

Your buddy should consider himself lucky he did not pursue the job.

Last edited:
The other airline in Hawaii Won't even look at your resume unless you have a Hawaii Driver's license. Nice way to get rid of the non locals.

I mean if the pay was livable, and I was single I would be all for it. But it is what it is.

My buddy was planning on going out on one of the carriers out of LAX/SFO/SEA and just hope to make it. But you are on your own for everything. Ouch

Luckily he ended up getting a better gig elseware.

Was Air Mike or the SJU Eagle positions the same? I know they posted externally, but I wonder if it was the same in those offices as in the Hawaiian carriers.

Latest resources

Back