We got "change" alright.
January 15, 2003
USA JET (DC-9 & Falcon 20 Pilots)
Detroit, Michigan
Tel: no calls
Fax: none
Email: EZ-Apply not available for this job
Web Site: http://www.activeaero.com
Applicants who do not meet our minimum requirements will not be considered. Please make sure that you meet the minimum requirements listed below before applying. If you do not meet the requirements at this time, please wait and apply once you do meet these requirements. MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS: Have ATP certificate or ATP written. No felony convictions. No convictions for DUI/DWI within the last 7 years. No misdemeanor convictions within the last 7 years. Be willing to take a drug test. Be able to furnish proof of eligibility for employment in the United States. Able to relocate to Detroit/Willow Run area. Be willing to work scheduled holidays, weekends, and must be willing to report to the airport within 20 minutes of being paged.
Be willing to sign a 24 month, $18,000 training agreement/contract. Visit our website to apply!

Whooo, sign me up! Jesus, here we go into another "get bent" era. More signs of the times.

Just the thought of re-locating to YIP puts tears of joy in my eyes.. yeh right :rolleyes:

And then have to live next to the airport.....nice 'hood.

USA Jet

Do you get a type rating for the $18,000 contract??? I wouldn't sign a contract for that much money unless they had something of equal value in return.

Don't do it

This is just a way for them to make more $ easily. I sent my resume in to them about six months ago and followed up with a phone call two days later. The chief pilot told me that COMPETITVE mins. were around 3000 and 500 jet with some PIC. Don't waste your money, they can't even assure you they are even going to have class dates anytime soon.

Guys... this is not new. It was discussed here about a month ago.

This is a freight operator at Willow Run airport in Detroit. They fly DA20s and DC9s. Send ATP Cliff a message and he'll tell you all about them.

It is not terribly uncommon for freight companies to require training contracts. It is a very high turnover segment, especially when jets are concerned. They aren't asking you to pay for training, they just want to make sure they get thier money's worth out of their investment.

And BTW, the YIP area is not a ghetto. It's actually a very blue-collar, working class neighborhood. Speak not of that which you don't know.

I agree about the comments concerning the YIP area. It's not bad at all. There are very nice apartments within a 5 minute drive of the airport, plenty of amenities, and Ann Arbor is only about a 25-30 minute drive which has college bars, nice restaurants, etc.

YIP is not like Detoilet.

Thread creep I know......

As far as the $18K training contract to fly a DC9 or Falcon.....not unless it's prorated on a monthly basis and it involves a type-rating up front. And no personal cash outlay unless you leave prior to the contract being fulfilled.

Only small jet operators are gonna be hiring for the next 2 years anyhow.

Captain X said:
As far as the $18K training contract to fly a DC9 or Falcon.....not unless it's prorated on a monthly basis and it involves a type-rating up front. And no personal cash outlay unless you leave prior to the contract being fulfilled.

Only small jet operators are gonna be hiring for the next 2 years anyhow.

Please tell me what is wrong with a company wanting to protect its investment. They are not asking anyone to put up any money at all. They're saying they will pay $18,000 for your training, but they want you to work there for two years. I see no problem with a small company thinking this way. It's only two years... if someone's in it to get some jet time and leave, then maybe they should go elsewhere.

And no, I don't work there, never have. I just hate to see the sense of entitlement many pilots have. Companies don't exist to employ pilots. The sooner we realize that, the better off this industry will be.

True, but you still have to pay the $38.00 application fee for "psychological evaluation."

Nice.

If they really wanted to fill a position with the best qualified people, they'd interview you BEFORE the "Personality Tests" begin. Seems like someone's going to profit on the 10,000 applications paid for by those looking to fill the three positions they've got.

$38 is not worth it to be added to a pile that high, unless you're typed in the Falcon or DC9 already. Then, maybe, you'll get your money's worth and be called for an interview.

ifly4food said:
Please tell me what is wrong with a company wanting to protect its investment. They are not asking anyone to put up any money at all. They're saying they will pay $18,000 for your training, but they want you to work there for two years.

I'm not necessarily against a company trying to protect it's investment, but is this company trying to protect it's investment, or trying to extort money from it's employees?

First, is $18,000 a reasonable amount? You can get a 737 type reating for what? $6-7000 ? what makes a Falcon so special? Sure, there's some company specific training that is done at a 121 carrier that wouldn't be covered in quickee type rating course, but how much does it really cost to sit a group of pilots in a room with folding chairs and talk at them for a week? certainly not the differecne between $7,000 and $18,000.

Do you actually get a type rating out of this, or is it a couple of sim sessions and a few takeoffs and landings on empty legs then you're "checked out" as a F/O. If that's the case, it gets a little harder to justify putting an $18,000 price tag on their training.

Lastly is it prorated? if you leave after 23 months, but before 24 months do you owe them $750 or do you owe them $18,000? If you owe the whole thing after flying for 23 months, than it's pretty obvious that thier intent is to extort money from their employees.

The devil is in the details.

regards

Latest resources

Back