Job offer, should I take it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

daneav8

Hello all. I am currently a part 91 co-captain on a well maintained C560 Ultra that is operated by a privately owned company. The job has been great overall; it has provided me with a lot of "firsts":
1. first full-time job
2. first type rating
3. first jet experience
4. first EFIS/ FMS experience

The pay is about $50,000 after 1 year on the job and the benefits include 401k, full medical/dental, and paid vacation. I know the schedule about 1-2 weeks out; it changes sometimes, but there are very few pop-ups (3/year). The company people are wonderful and caring folks, the company is the largest of it's kind in the US and has seen impressive growth. The CEO is talking about buying a second plane; perhaps a Cit X, Hawker 800XP, etc. We average about 13 days off/month and fly about 500 hours/year. However, I am essentially on-call and cannot really travel beyond about 2 hrs from my house on a "day off", ie no-fly day. So other than vacation I can't go anywhere, which most of the time is no big deal; however, I have family in upstate NY and don't get to see them often.

The downside is that the Chief Pilot is sometimes a very difficult person to be around and we are the only two pilots.

I recently had a job offer flying a Global Express for a Part 91/135 dometic/ international operation. The Chief Pilot is a friend of mine who called me about the job opening. He is a great guy and everyone loves flying with him. I am struggling with whether or not to take the job. The Pros:
1. 30% increase in pay
2. 5 pilots, all great guys.
3. Desirable Type rating is received at time of hiring (2 yr contract).
4. Very nice, well maintained airplane.
5. Great benefits.
4. Airport 15 minutes from my house vs. 1 hour.

The Cons:
1. Part 135
2. Airplane gone every holiday, and 26 weekends/ yr. Of course w/ 5 pilots it doesn't mean everyone misses all the holidays.

Finally my question. Is this a golden opportunity at this point in my career(early in my career)? Is part 135 as much of a pain as I have heard? Is flying international fun or a drag?
Like I said, I have only been flying this C560 for a year and now and this Global Express opportunity falls in my lap. Part of me is like, "yeah baby!"; and the other part is like, "ok, you have a good job, with a growing company, why throw that away for an unknown"? Even my friend, the Global CP, admitted that he would not blame me for staying where I am.

Any advice? Here are some facts about me that will help.
Single, no kids.
36 years old
2500 hours TT
518 Turbine as Acting PIC

Thanks all, I truly appreciate your experience and advice in this profession.
daneav8

Funny a friend of mine is in the exact same situation, except the gaining plane is a G-V and he has kids. To answer your question indirectly, my friend is taking the route of the new path and I believe he is doing the right move. There will always be a negative to any job, and as I am learning it's just a manner of which ones you are willing to live with. His biggest loss is all the free (non fly) time with the family. His biggest gain is that he no longer has to answer to a jerk (a REAL character this one), makes +30k more a year, and will be flying a real jet. After awhile, the QOL of spending the non-fly time with the family started loosing it's value because of the stress of constantly being under the gun. Things got so bad that there have been instances when it could have been a clearcut harassment lawsuit but he held off just because of the nature and size of the industry. Each man has his limitations, and after a year and a half he reached his.

It just all depends on your priorities, both in career and in life.

Last edited:
I can see how this presents a difficult choice for you. The allure of the big jet, the heavy international experience and fatter paycheck must be significant! But you'd be wise to check a few things out before you decide. How much airlining is involved? Have they been running these guys hard and always promising more pilots, but somehow they're always short? Do they have other airplanes which they might stick you in when the Global is out? Office hours? "Hard" days off?

That's just the first few questions I'd want to answer. Part 135 is a tough business, and lots of "promises" are made. Whether or not they are kept is another matter. It really depends on the nature of the principle owners of the operation. Talk to someone who left that job for something else if you can.

If you stay where you are, does this CP make your life so miserable as to affect your own disposition? Also, it might be worth considering which job will allow you to pile up the PIC time. What is your income growth potential in your present job if they add a larger aircraft? Compare where you'll be in three years from now at each job. You're a looooong ways from making Captain in a 135 Global. And frankly, 65K for a Global co-pilot is a bad sign.

Lots to consider. In the end, you're going to have to decide based on the best information you can get, and upon your gut feeling about which job gives you the "warm fuzzies". All in all though, I congratulate you on having such a choice to make. You've done well to find yourself in such a position.

Best of success,

Both great advice...I just spent some time agonizing over a new job also, like you I'm not unhappy where I'm at and the new position was a substantial pay increase, lateral lifestyle move. In my case, I turned it down finally due to relocation issues.

The good thing is you sound like you're in the right place to make a decision. You don't sound too enamored by the plane (it is a means to a paycheck, and not much more) and sound concerned about the right things-QOL, future etc.

International can be valuable depending on what your goals are, but a Global can take you far away from home for a long time and of the long-haul guys that I talk to say one of the biggest things is can you spend a couple of weeks with the other guy? Sounds like you have that answer. Since you're single it may be a great time to get this type of experience. You never know what may come up in the future. Of course, speaking from experience, 135 can make changing that "single" status pretty challenging.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sounds like the new job is ok. Part 135 isnt that bad, at least there are a few ground rules protecting the pilots. buy a bigger suitcase, plus if the chief pilot is a jerk at your current job that should make the decision easier

Jump in with both feet. You are single, may not always be, heavy iron, intl ops, nice pay, nice crew and the job you are currently at could always evaporate tomorrow. Huge career move at your age and TT. You have thought it out well, I say roll the dice. Tell them you would like to run upstate once and awhile, when the plane is gone, and see family for a quick visit. Should not be a problem but who knows. Just get it out in the open early.

Last edited:
The grass isn't always greener on the other side even though it may look green. Just make sure you check everything out before you leap. Your situation sounds almost exactly like when I left to go to the bigger iron. The only thing I don't like is the contract. If they are going to make you sign a contract it should be reciprocal, make sure you get all of "Their" promises in writing as well.

I would also suggest that you ask for more money if you think you can. Get as much as you can going in the door. I know you think that your are getting in at entry level and you are right but if you can get it going in the door you won't have to fight for it later when you find out how much the "other guy" is making and your not.

Just my 2 cents.

We are similar

I took a job about 6 months ago flying a Hawker. My old job was flying an 800XP and I moved over to the 800. Old job was all domestic, new job is 50/50. At my age, it was a no-brainer for me to take the new job because I would be gaining a lot of valuable international experience, which is what I want to do. Eventually I want to move up to a bigger airplane and hopefully I will have the opportunity. That's what I want to do.

What are your lifelong goals? That is what you need to ask yourself. If I were single, I would take the new job in a heartbeat. Not many people with your flight time have a great opportunity handed to them. Definitely ask a LOT of questions. You will love the international flying. Just make sure they give you some sort of a schedule. That was the most important thing to me when I changed jobs. I wanted to know that I had at least X amount of days off every month, and with my company, they stick to the schedule.

Weigh your options carefully and ask a lot of questions!!

If you don't mind long trips, take the GLEX job. Big pay, big experience and corporate is getting stronger while airlines get weaker.

Nothing wrong with your current gig.

65,000 for a Global Express copilot job?????

BAD BAD sign. GLEX FO pays at least 90-100K for Pt 135 operation.

Please don't drag down the industry by accepting minimum wage.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back