• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job Application and FAA Administrative Action

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back in 2004 I was the F/O on a Part 121 revenue flight for which it was determined that the weight and balance was calculated using the wrong aircraft tail number. Even though the actual weight and balance was indeed within limits, it was still calculated incorrectly for our flight.

As a result, the CA and I were issued FAA letters of warning. Per the warning letter, it was to be made a matter of record for a period of two years, after which it was to be expunged.

On the My FAA Actions on AirlineApps.com, it asks Have you EVER had an FAA administrative action against you. Even though this warning letter should have been expunged, should I still check yes?

Check and see if a warning letter qualifies as administrative action. If it does then I would answer yes to that question. A company can fire you 10 years later if they find out you lied on the application through some other action.

Back in 2004 I was the F/O on a Part 121 revenue flight for which it was determined that the weight and balance was calculated using the wrong aircraft tail number. Even though the actual weight and balance was indeed within limits, it was still calculated incorrectly for our flight.

As a result, the CA and I were issued FAA letters of warning. Per the warning letter, it was to be made a matter of record for a period of two years, after which it was to be expunged.

On the My FAA Actions on AirlineApps.com, it asks Have you EVER had an FAA administrative action against you. Even though this warning letter should have been expunged, should I still check yes?

I too, as many of us had, have had run in's with the FAA. Mine was a warning letter over some BS thing, but they can hand out warning letters all day long. Mark yes, even if it has expired, and when they ask you about it, take ownership, admit you made an error, and they move on. If you deny it or try to blame someone else, you are toast.

"The Captain and I both did not notice the incorrect tail number on the weight and balance paperwork. The w and b data was fine and there was no safety issue. Even though there may have been mitigating circumstances that lead to the error, the fact of the matter is that it was our responsibility and we made a mistake.I made sure it never happened again"

Lying or purposely leaving information off of your application is a worse offense in my opinion than the actual violation. They want honest employees working for them. If you leave it off you will worry yourself to death that they might discover it, even after you are hired and flying the line you will wonder if they will call you on it and fire you for not being honest on your application. Save yourself the stress and just explain it. This is just my opinion.

Say yes and if there is a box to explain, explain. Otherwise move on. I have asked many carriers if a Warning letter is an administrative action and they all said "yes". The FAA issued a warning. I know several pilots, including myself, who have been hired by majors with a letter of warning. Fess up, take ownership and move on. That is what they are looking for.

Administrative Action = Letter of Warning or Letter of Correction. The question asked "Have you ever..." Say yes and explain.

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards yes to begin with, but since its suppose to be off my record I wasn't sure if it was worth mentioning.

How about recieving a FAA Letter of Investigation concerning duty limits, then recieving another letter several weeks later saying the matter has been closed with no further action required? Is that an "administrative action"?

How about recieving a FAA Letter of Investigation concerning duty limits, then recieving another letter several weeks later saying the matter has been closed with no further action required? Is that an "administrative action"?

A Letter of Investigation is just that - a letter informing you of an investigation. A "No Action Letter" is the process of closing an investigation when - no further action is required thus closing the investigation.

This is not "Administrative Action" against the pilot.

If you care to look at the 300 plus page order:

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/17213

Latest resources

Back