Jetway door locks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyf15

Why do jetways usually have punchcodes/locks to get into them from the ramp, but are free to open from the jetway down to the ramp? Seems completely backwards. Just had a passenger chase a ramper down onto the ramp to give him a carry-on bag, with the only thing to stop him being a "Do not enter - restricted area" sign that he obviously didn't read.

good question! probably so the capt can laugh at the fo when he/she forgot the door code when its 10 below

I dunno what you are talking about. Most doors you cannot just walk out. You either have to swipe your badge, punch a code, or a combination there of. If you fail to do so, an alarm will sound.

Just sit around the commuter terminals of IAD or PHL.. you'll hear them

I dunno what you are talking about. Most doors you cannot just walk out. You either have to swipe your badge, punch a code, or a combination there of. If you fail to do so, an alarm will sound.

Just sit around the commuter terminals of IAD or PHL.. you'll hear them

I'm referring to the doors from the jetway down the stairs to the ramp.... not the door between the jetway and the terminal. I probably can count on one hand the number of stations I've been to that require a code or badge to get to the ramp from the jetway.

It seems to depend on the airline, too. My previous airline switched codeshares a while back -- one airline required a code to get onto the ramp, but anyone could get back in. The more recent one was just the opposite!

My guess is that by requiring a code to get into the jetway (either from the stairs or from the building), you're effectively securing the aircraft and thus can leave the jetway attached when it's unattended and it's still considered a "secure" cabin. Just a theory.

I'm guessing the ones that are only secure in one direction are old...newer ones seem to require the code going BOTH directions which makes sense.

In ground school I asked the same question and got this answer...when an aircraft is "secured", it means secure from entry from the terminal and the outside. With a lock on the outside of the jetway it allows the jetway to be pulled up to the plane with the cabin door open and the aircraft to be considered secure. The pax access to the ramp through the door falls under being supervised at all times, not aircraft security.

Latest resources

Back