• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
True statement. It's also true that it's cheaper to keep line holders' lines reduced 5-10 a piece with artificially low bid divisors, put the remainder on "reserves", and keep reserve coverage at the minimum or the red. It's also better for the company to reduce average daily productivity to the minimum allowed, which turns everyone flying a pairing into ready made "reserves" since the reserves are already taken. This is "necessary" because when there's a system disruption, the company literally has no idea where crews are unless they're actively flying at the time. They still haven't gotten the hang of keeping track of reserves, so they schedule them to fly leftover open time and use low productivity line holders to fill in gaps. All this reduces quality of life for line holders by keeping line values down and making it very difficult to trade for something better.

There's the problem, not over-hiring: misuse of reserves, driven almost entirely by the artificial lowering of line values and pairing productivity.

I remember the company taughting the line that they want our reserves to fly 60 hrs/ month to keep pilot productivity up. I just talked to a fo that was on a trip bought from a line holder because he's flown 50 hrs in 3 months and needed his 100..... And this was over the holidays. Simply put, premium pay is cheaper then paying benefits and salary to a bunch of pilots who aren't even flying. I have heard personally from trey, who lets all admit is the biggest straight shooter in management, that the company wants us to be flying 85 hrs and reserves 60. The company does have a problem paying certain guys 140 hrs credit, but by guys flying close to 75-100 hrs a month we have to have less pilots, they pay less benefits , and we have less guys sitting around.

Under Staffing + Relatively High Reserve Utilization + Nearly Zero Open Time + Death Grip On Bid Divisers = Prosperity

Not prosperity for US, but it's nice to know someone's getting rich.

Hours not capped. The bid divisors were down in Jan, which is normal every year I've been here. My bid award for FEB is 87 hours at 17 days off. Bid divisor for BOS E190 Capt is 85.

Alot of stuff guys post is true, but some of it is b.s. just like "facts" from our Flt Ops Leadership. Grain of salt works both ways.

CD

The bid divisors went down in September and October, then again in January and February and March.

That "let's hire a ton to keep bid divisors low" is the biggest bunch of conspiracy bull. It is cheaper for the company to have a target of 85 with a max of 88-90 than it is to have all these "extra" guys flying 70 per month........
There are way too many Black Helicopters that fly around here at jetBlue......
I'm assuming the guy that can't pay his bills is on year one pay, because if he isn't, he bought too big of a damn house......

What's REALLY CHEAP is to have a bid divisor of 85 and NO premium.

I'm sure Doctor Dumb is selling THAT ONE as we speak.

Under Staffing + Relatively High Reserve Utilization + Nearly Zero Open Time + Death Grip On Bid Divisers = Prosperity

Not prosperity for US, but it's nice to know someone's getting rich.

Unless you change our current system, you can't have high reserve utilization with low bid denominators. Guys simply pick up all the open time before it hits reserves.

So the truth is that the guys that interviewed on October 13+14 received an email on 2/3/12. It stated that the pilot hiring committe is conditionally recommending you for hire. It goes on to say that the new hire classes will most likely be postponed to the second half of the year.

So the truth is that the guys that interviewed on October 13+14 received an email on 2/3/12. It stated that the pilot hiring committe is conditionally recommending you for hire. It goes on to say that the new hire classes will most likely be postponed to the second half of the year.

What about those who interviewed in Nov? How many do they expect the be in the pool and will you have to re-interview if they don't start classes again this year?

What about those who interviewed in Nov? How many do they expect the be in the pool and will you have to re-interview if they don't start classes again this year?

As far as i know, they have never asked anyone to re-interview after being put in the pool. Rumor is 150+ in the pool, expect to wade water for a bit.

A lot of reserves were not being used much at all, thus the reason for around 30 pilots dequalling for not getting 100hrs in 120 days, myself included. I am off reserve already for Feb and will fly more this month than I have in the last 4, so I am happy.

Latest resources

Back