• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue to Make Major News Announcement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. A realistic strategy for achieving it.
A basic concept, one pilot, one vote. All pilots support each other during labor disputes

2. A solution to the fact that there are many non-union and non-ALPA airlines (as you know).
The promise of no furloughs, and senority for life. If you want to work for a regional and want to sleep at home you can do that and make a living and a retirement too! Trans-cons your bag you can do that too! Everyone gets what they want.

3. A solution to the fact that some airlines are able to pay more than others. The way I see it, your proposal would either a: lower payrates at the more financially stable airlines, or b: cost jobs or even lead to liquidation of the weaker carriers.
A single national payscale for equipment types, economy would come from scale and efficiency of the "corperations"
Yes pay at the top paying airlines would come down, but how much are you losing
each month on furlough, if you averaged the amount lost per month and applied to the months working you would have a more realistic earnings picture.
Someone on furlough please run some rough numbers, don't forget retirement numbers and lost years earning potential too.
PBR

PBR,

Your post was heavy on potential benefits, but decidedly light on strategies. We already have "one pilot, one vote." We already do support each other during labor disputes.

Your idea has merit. Unfortunately, it has been touted many times before, but few have any realistic solutions on how to implement it.

I am not putting you down, I am genuinely interested. I just have yet to hear anything that would convince me your idea is realistic. I am willing to learn, however.

P.S.
I would run some rough numbers, but since I have no idea how much each pilot would make under your proposal, they would be very rough indeed!

FlyDeltasJets said:
No, I have not applied to Jetblue. While they are a fine company, and people who work there enjoy it, I have no desire to leave Delta. Delta was my dream from boyhood, and I firmly believe that I am in the best place I can be for the future. Although it sucks now, I wouldn't trade with anyone.

Now I know that JB does not require seniority resignation, but knowing that I want to go back to Delta, I am trying to use this furlough to do things I would not have had the opportunity to do, some of which is preparing me so I won't be so dependent on my airline income.

Of course, a few more years of this, I might be singing a different tune!

FDJ,

I applaud your loyalty and admire your values. Me, being a senior member at JB have seen a few guys (a small few that is) "use" us as a means of either a stepping stone or as temporary income until they get recalled. Although the recall is not likely anytime soon, the concept grinds me to no end. I feel very stongly about this because not only are these types ripping off JB for training costs, etc. but they are robbing someone that really wants to be here (for the long haul) of an opportunity. Your statement about DL being your boyhood dream says it all and I respect you greatly for your honesty and dedication to your beliefs.

For the record, you were coorect when you said JB does not require a new hire to surrender his/her seniority because legally, it means nothing anyway. We (the Recruitment Team) researched the legal ramifications and discovered that even if a New Hire had done that, we have no "hold" on them anyway. Something about the Right To Work state laws or some such legal bilge applied. What we do however, is have them sign a No Compete Contract which states that the New Hire cannot return to their former employer (and that is former employer only) for a period of two years. If they do, they owe us for training costs or something like that. This type agreement, IS legally binding and according to our legal counsel, the best way to protect us.

As far as you coming to JB sometime in the future (assuming things don't pan out at DL, and I hope they do for you) I know now that you are of the right culture and moral values that we seek in our Pilots.
You see, they way I look at it is that you can teach a monkey to fly an A320 but you can't teach a person moral values if they don't at least meet you half-way!!

Take it easy.

"Your post was heavy on potential benefits, but decidedly light on strategies. We already have "one pilot, one vote." We already do support each other during labor disputes."

Strategy comes after the need for action, I agree implimentation would be the difficult part, what I have is an idea, theory or concept which comes from years of work in non-aviation industries. By support I mean work stoppages in the event of a strike, not just sympathy and small check /assesment(Comair comes to mind).ALPA has poisoned the minds of more than a small percentage of the pilots that they represent(RJDC?) ALPA is oriented towards the mainline operation and its pilots, our payscales(regional), work rules are direct proof. As the ranks of the mainlines decrease and the regionals increase, those are your jobs being given to newhire regional pilots, who are a fraction of your costs.

"Your idea has merit. Unfortunately, it has been touted many times before, but few have any realistic solutions on how to implement it".
See above.

" I am not putting you down, I am genuinely interested. I just have yet to hear anything that would convince me your idea is realistic. I am willing to learn, however."

The idea is just that, the reality would come from the people who are losing their jobs, ironically this would benefit the mainline pilots the most, by removing the mainline managment's ability to move flying to the low cost regionals, your job would be preserved, the regional pilot would benifit from increased wages and benefits. The corp. mgmt would benefit from stable, level employee costs without the need to negotiate constantly increasing labor contracts.

" P.S.
I would run some rough numbers, but since I have no idea how much each pilot would make under your proposal, they would be very rough indeed!"

Payscales would be negotiated, for arguement's sake, take the highest paid 737 scale, LUV's scale split the difference, bias up or down a few percent and you would have a starting point. The basic concept would be: each passenger seat on an aircraft would pay a specific value to the pilot pay scale, things such as time zone flying, international, cycles, transcons, all could have an override/enhancment to the payscale assigned to each airframe. Benefits are another variable but set these aside for the moment, they would ultimately be the real issue. (Take DAL pilots benefit package and compare to SKYW package, this is the real reason you aren't working and SKYW is hiring as we speak.)
Run your own numbers based upon your equipment and pay scale at the time of your own furlough, how long will you be out, estimate and voila, an example.

Ultimately the people whom this would affect the most are the ones whom are currently the most insulated, the top 20% of the senority lists at each carrier.
You are paying the same price as the regional pilots(lost wages and benifits) to insure that minority from financial loss, until you are in that group you will continue to subsidize their 2nd, 3rd homes and hobbies/toys with your days at home without pay. Its not that the industry has changed, the entire economy has changed. To think that the aviation industry is insulated is not realistic. Look at every other industry in the current economy, for example Dewalt(Black&Decker) has closed one of it's U.S. plants firing 1200+ employees, to relocate that plant in Mexico, what were they seeking? Per their press release, lower employee costs to increase their competitiveness. Adapt or perish, your company is betting that you will stick to your old way of doing things, that makes it easy to counterplan it's strategy to maximize profits, you's guys have been doin' it the same way for the last 50 years. Your predictibility makes you a slow moving easy target.
Hint: read sun tzsu "The Art of War " not the movie, I have 6-7 different translations and they are all slightly different in how they read, but the message is the same. It is 2500 years old and is still relavent.
PBR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back