JetBlue to land in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
But, in reality, there is one major blocking point to Jetblue ever getting "big" in ATL----the lack of gate space.

I don't think there's an intention of ever getting "big" in ATL. A few flights to LGB, a few to JFK, and maybe a few to FLL are all I'd ever expect to see. Two permanent gates should do it, and it doesn't even matter where they are, as long as they're contiguous. Probably all this new service warrants is one shared gate, likely with an associated agreement to provide handling "below the wing".

I think this is just a way to capitalize on a high-fare monopoly market, nothing more. With only 23 (maybe 22) available slots, you have to make them count, preferably with long-haul (read: low CASM), relatively high-yield service. ATL is perfect. The fact that it's Delta's monopoly route is either coincidence, or a minor "bonus" at best. Maybe it is a warning shot across the bow, I don't know, but it's first and foremost a great market. Remember, this is business, not a pissing contest.

Jeff G -- I think the PC term is "urinary olympiad."

G Lee -- I'm glad you're rooting for your team and that you are happy when you're on the field playing. I've done a bit of international flying in my day and I'll admit the layovers are great. Crossing the pond, however, is just an endurance test to stay awake and keep entertained. Of course, so are our transcons--albeit with a few more radio calls. I have LOTS of friends and classmates who fly for Delta and I don't hear much complaining from them like I hear from some of my buddies flying for other majors. At the end of the day, I wanted to work somewhere where the pilots and management understood each other and had a great working relationship. Someplace where there was an energy from new and exciting things happening all the time. I got that and I'm happy. (I also thank God every day for this opportunity.) I'm not trying to take away from what you have. It's just not what I wanted. It's not an attack against you or Delta, but a rebuttal to those who think the only reason we went with JB was because the majors weren't hiring. That may be true for some people, but it certainly wasn't in my case. Heck, there are a lot of guys at JB now, who would never have left major airline X (the last job they ever expected to have) if they hadn't been furloughed.

DGS,

"BTW, I applied at jetBlue and SWA. I had no desire to work for any other major because I wanted to be excited about having fun every time I went to work--not just when the paycheck came in the mail. I think jetBlue is more like the airline you read about in Nuts than SWA is today. It was the perfect match for me and I'm thrilled to be here. GO TEAM!!"

What ansinine comment. Do you actually believe that only SWA and J B pilots enjoy going to work. If so, what an absolutely pathetic profession! Everything is what you make of it. Some people will sit on a bed of roses and still look for the thorns. You can hand some people a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** sandwich and they will ask for more. I think you made your mind up before you applied that you would enjoy only those companies, so it apparently is a self-fulfilling profecy.

By the way, I see a major difference between SWA and JB, SWA has mostly avoided a major fight with the majors where JB is planning to go in swinging. There is a marked difference in the growth plans, we'll see how it works out.:eek:

Full of LUV said:

Do you actually believe that only SWA and J B pilots enjoy going to work.

I think you made your mind up before you applied that you would enjoy only those companies, so it apparently is a self-fulfilling profecy

People -- Let's not get wrapped around the axle here! If you are having fun and enjoy your job, good on ya! However, I know a lot of pilots (and there are plenty of posts on this board to back me up) that just think of this as a job and don't care about anything but the money and the time off. That's not what I wanted--it's as simple as that.

Actually I made up my mind after the interviews. I was very impressed at the jetBlue interview with everybody I met. I got a lot of cold vibes when I interviewed at SWA on 10 Sep 01. The SWA pilots we met during our tour couldn't stop talking about the issues they had with the company and how the meeting with the union on Friday, 14 Sep 01 was supposed to address their multitude of concerns. 24 hours later the world was changed forever.

Bottom line: I'm not trying to take anything away from what anybody else has. jetBlue was simply a better match for ME. I love it here, period. Oh yeah, "GO TEAM."

I also interviewed 10Sep01 and remember the comments by the pilots but came away with a different feeling. One of my concerns about SWA had been that the pilot union might be a little too close to management to really look out for the pilots, but the guys in that Captain upgrade class seemed to be realistic that they wanted more pay but not a Delta + 1 or something that was unrealistic considering all SWA flies is 737s. At that time (day before 9/11) there was talk the company was going to up salaries and benefits before the new contract even was negotiated because the SWA contract had gotten so far behind the times due to its unusual length (10 years, 94-04). After 9/11, of course that didn't happen but they did just get a decent raise and better benefits a little while ago. Considering almost every other airline is in the giveback mode, I'm pretty impressed that SWA has negotiated new contracts with all of it's labor groups in little over a year, raises for all and they are still making money, especially since they are the mostly unionized of any airline.

I also applied all around but the cards had me going to SWA. I wish nothing but the best of luck for DAL and JBLU guys. Every airline has its own strengths and weaknesses, and unfortunately most of us don't get multiple offers so it isn't like we get to choose one that matches our risk personaility exactly. The best airline is the one that hires you, or so I've been told by guys with more experience than my 0 hours of 121 time.

And for anyone that hasn't read it, Hard Landing by Thomas Petzinger is a great introduction to the airline industry and how vicious it can be on the company to company level. It talks about about the giants of the past who many of us might not even remember.

FlyDeltasJets said:
Canyon,

You are correct, and our negotiating committee has attempted to do the same. We have been successful in the past, and are still working to hold on to what we have. The current environment, including forces I previously discussed, are making it very difficult. I know you wish us luck (seriously).

And I do wish you luck, also seriously. My best friend is furloughed from Delta and that may be why I get wrapped around the axel on these issues. I'm glad you guys have not gave in to Leo and his yes men as LCC and Global Airlines are apples and oranges. They are paid GOOD money to run Delta and current problems are theirs to deal with. Any venture that returns pilots to flying I'm 100% in favor of. Any venture that jeopardizes jobs I'm 100% against. If SONG helps Delta thats great and I will believe Leo made a great move. If this hurts at all I hope you guys toss him out of ATL on the next AirTran or jetBlue flight. Talking about being competitive I am VERY competitive. I played football in college and played on a twice a week hockey league until a few years ago (I'm 42). But as far as good competition and bad, my anology would go to the Warren Sapp-Green Bay incident. (if you don't know what I'm talking about you're spending too much time in front of a computer)I'm highly competitive but I wouldn't gloat on ending somebodys career. Bottom line on Sapp, I wouldn't of made the hit competition or not.

Last edited:
Mo Betta Blue,

I also agree that certain pilots like certain types of flying. Some people like the 6 leg days, others like the long haul pond crossers. I am happy that I personally have the choice of all of those at Delta. I am sure that your flying at Jetblue is interesting and fun---which is good. Southwest now has a mix of long haul---BWI-SAN, SJC, OAK, LAX, PHX etc--and the 7 leg cross country hops. Variety is a good thing---and if our airlines have it---that is good.

Jeff G,

I also believe that jetblue will not be "big" in ATL, but the competition will make Delta wake up alittle and face the facts. If you have never been to ATL before----the airport is well run by ATC, even though the "short approaches" are atleast a 10 mile final. Even though the city of ATL is known to be a "hospitality" city with lots of conventions---the people at the concession stands (food outlets) are among the rudest, and slowest people on earth. I hope you enjoy it---and I hope you get to see how big Delta really is there. It really is amazing.

Bye Bye---General Lee:cool:

Jeff G said:
I don't think there's an intention of ever getting "big" in ATL. A few flights to LGB, a few to JFK, and maybe a few to FLL are all I'd ever expect to see. Two permanent gates should do it, and it doesn't even matter where they are, as long as they're contiguous. Probably all this new service warrants is one shared gate, likely with an associated agreement to provide handling "below the wing".

I think this is just a way to capitalize on a high-fare monopoly market, nothing more. With only 23 (maybe 22) available slots, you have to make them count, preferably with long-haul (read: low CASM), relatively high-yield service. ATL is perfect. The fact that it's Delta's monopoly route is either coincidence, or a minor "bonus" at best. Maybe it is a warning shot across the bow, I don't know, but it's first and foremost a great market. Remember, this is business, not a pissing contest.

Hey, we can always use more Delta "feed". Unless your pax are terminating, maybe they will connect to a Delta flight. If that is the case then thanks JB.

Latest resources

Back