JetBlue Reserve/Lineholder ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

I have heard that B6 is offering reserves and lineholders the opportunity to fly over guarantee during IROPS. how often do the CA reserves fly in jfk? do the local CA pick up this type of flying only? i would imagine the commuters don't want to pick up EXTRA flying if they have been sitting in a crash pad for 5 days!

Lineholders: Can a lineholder drop below 70 hours if reserve coverage is adequate? what exactly are the limits?

thanks

What's happening is line holders are picking up reserve augmentation days and being paid premium pay to sit on their butts. Reserves are unable, in most cases, to fit a two or three day RSA period on their schedules but the company makes sure they use them first - to include junior manning, double duties, and early release/min rest/redeye.

The net-net is: Line holders get 9 hours of premium pay per event and reserves STILL get bent over the rail for a 75 hour guarantee. And don't think most guys aren't smart enough to put an RSA period right in front of a four day trip.

We have guys walking around this month and last with 120 credit hours laughing about the reserve guarantee. These are the same guys who raise holy hell about THEIR profit sharing when someone makes a little sugestion like offering extra premium days to reserves on a go forward basis. Or when we complain about a sticky roach motel. "Don't touch my profit sharing" Unless it's to pay out hundreds of thousands of dollars in RSA pay with no untilization.

I'm sure everyone at Jetblue would like to know the cost of this RSA program and just how it affects ALL of our profit sharing. The boys in leather are exempt from profit sharing comparisons.

Its all good?

And so it begins...

This is the first thing I have ever read about JB that doesn't speak of happy, smiling, cabin cleaning pilots. Could it possibly be, senior pilots taking advantage of the system, and junior pilots getting the short end of the stick?

NO, it's more like

It's more like someone who is never happy that unfortunately made it through the interview process. Maybe BS needs to go back to his/her CRJ.

I'm one of 'the boys in Leather' and I haven't picked up any reserve augmentation periods. They pay 4.5 hrs per day unless you block more actual. Yes reservists can be awarded some of these periods and some of the reserve guys are cashing in pretty well. If someone, even a reserve is given one of these augmentation periods, it is paid at premium rates. This is because anything over 70 hrs is premium pay, and 70 hrs is the minimum per month without using PTO.

There are always guys who happen to be at the right place at the right time and don't have either a life, a wife or kids to get home to. They are able to cash in on some extra time. For me?? I'd rather be at home with the family.

Scheduling is not leaving reserves sitting, and flying the augmentation guys, This is just BS. Costs are looked at for every decision. Time permitting of course. Sometimes there are the day after look-backs that show that there was a better way that wasn't executed, but that happens.

Are some guys getting lucky and getting pay guarantee on a scheduled pairing in order to cover an open trip?? Sure, it happens everywhere. And maybe some guys are trying to make that happen. Fine, but if you are pay guaranteed for a work period, you don't get released, you get to stand reserve untill your original pairing days are used up. Unless you are over 30/7 or whatever because of the special trip assignment.

I see it as a good enticement to get some much needed reserve coverage, and the guys who either live in the NY area [gag] or can commute in easily on company get to cash in, I say good for them. I can't/won't but I'm not whining or full of sour grapes over it. I've had my share of IROPs extra flying when I'm in JFK. If I work extra, I get paid extra, sounds like sound business to me.

Reserve stinks wherever you are, but at JetBlue, at least you won't sit reserve for a decade!!

JetBlue is a great place to work, so much better than previous employment it is hard to compare or put words to.

shadesofBS said:
What's happening is line holders are picking up reserve augmentation days and being paid premium pay to sit on their butts. Reserves are unable, in most cases, to fit a two or three day RSA period on their schedules but the company makes sure they use them first - to include junior manning, double duties, and early release/min rest/red <clip>

I'm sure everyone at Jetblue would like to know the cost of this RSA program and just how it affects ALL of our profit sharing. The boys in leather are exempt from profit sharing comparisons.

Hey!
There are more than a few "boys in leather" at LGB, on reserve.
Don't lump us in with those on the gravy train.
And no, we don't live in our base.

B6Guy said:
It's more like someone who is never happy that unfortunately made it through the interview process. Maybe BS needs to go back to his/her CRJ.
No the reserve system was created six years ago and hasn't changed a bit. The current system was designed for one to sit reserve for 1-3 months.

I'm one of 'the boys in Leather' and I haven't picked up any reserve augmentation periods. They pay 4.5 hrs per day unless you block more actual. Yes reservists can be awarded some of these periods and some of the reserve guys are cashing in pretty well. If someone, even a reserve is given one of these augmentation periods, it is paid at premium rates. This is because anything over 70 hrs is premium pay, and 70 hrs is the minimum per month without using PTO.

Breaking guarantee on reserve is pure luck of the draw. There needs to be a system that allows pilots to bid available trips based on seniority. It's a no cost item. Someone (several) breaks guarantee every month, why can't seniority rule?

Reserve stinks wherever you are, but at JetBlue, at least you won't sit reserve for a decade!!

Does this mean we can't change our reserve system? The shut up and color mentality is getting old.

JetBlue is a great place to work, so much better than previous employment it is hard to compare or put words to.

JetBlue is a great place to work but there are some things that really need to change. See above responses.

Last edited:
I'm a reservist at JFK about mid-pack on the reserve list. Last month I broke 100 hours for pay. This month I'm at 90 mid-month and have 3 RSA days (pick up days paid at time and half at 4:13hr/day) . Originally had 12 days off, PTO'd several days then picked up the RSA's. Net days off back to 12. Wish I was home more than that but decided I could use a little more cash in the summer.

I'm happy here - Banger

Look Closer Shades of BS

Did you consider that most of the "boys in leather" (of which I am one) are already flying right at their 30/7 times anyway and are not legal to pick up any RSA periods? I am sure this is not always the case but I would venture to say it is (or was) in July and August. In order to fly a MAX SCHED (which was 93 hours in August) you more than likely can't squeeze in any RSA periods. Do the math before you spout off. For September, back to semi-normal.

Always two sides to a coin ya know.

And to the Alaska guy that noticed how disgruntled we "all" are....

:p

Latest resources

Back