JetBlue Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a former NJA and now at SWA, so here's my take:

Flying corporate was fun, no doubt. But here's the problem. Your wife and kids aren't enjoying the time with you at Aspen or Kiev or whatever, they're wondering why you're not at home with them! Whenever I flew to an exotic local (that lasted more than 60 minutes or a 10 hour overnight), I always wished my other half was there to enjoy it with me (and I don't mean the copilot!).

The reality is you will be gone no less than 13 nights a month from your family at NJA. As a non-commuting pilot as SWA, it is very easy to just be away 8 nights a month, less if need be. The flexibility of controlling your time away is pricelss, better than any cool approach at ASE.

I remember taking the engine cover over on the Hawker at NJA last winter where the temp was 15F with blowing wind. I had gotten so cold during the preflight that I had to run into the cockpit three times to defrost just during the preflight - all the time cursing the job as a "pilot". I then lugged the pax luggage in the blistering cold while doing one final walk around and kicking out the chocks. I hated it. I swore to myself never again. At SWA, I fly an airplane, in warmth and comfort, and oh yeh, I do a preflight, but I bid for warm cities for the winter - what a concept!!

Later

A JB capt I spoke to said he expects to be in ch11 before the end of the year.

Clyde Frog said:
A JB capt I spoke to said he expects to be in ch11 before the end of the year.

Then he'll ruin his credit and will have a hard time opening another business. Good thing he has his airline job to fall back on.

Latest resources

Back