JetBlue Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hydrarkt

I'm a 6 year NJA pilot. I make about $98k before per diem, OT etc. I figure about $110 after all is said and done this year. 50% 401kmatch. full, free health. I work 7 on 7 off with 3 weeks of vacation (which is actually 9 weeks). I can start work at any decent sized airport (though I use BOS now).
I just got a call from JBA asking if I was still interested. I said "yes." I have friends who turned down JBA to stay at NJA after we got the new contract.

You folks at JBA that left the frax or anyone with an intelligent observation: would you leave NJA for JBA?? ps... I'm 39.

Well, same advice as always. Do you commute now? Will you commute then? That should answer your question.

I can tell you that JB really believes in itself and that it is pretty cool being here (of course thats only been a week) and from top to bottom it is like nothing I have seen before in this industry. I left NWA after 8 years for a place that is great to work. It sounds like you have a good gig at Net Jets. Good luck on the decision.

Last edited:
I also got the call from Jetblue today and I'm basically in the exact same boat. NJA, making good money for the first time, great benefits, and I actually like my job. But nothing lasts forever.....

What I'd like to do is politely decline without forever closing the door.

Any advice on how to do this?

crjdude

crjdude said:
I also got the call from Jetblue today and I'm basically in the exact same boat. NJA, making good money for the first time, great benefits, and I actually like my job. But nothing lasts forever.....

crjdude

crj, If your happy stay where you are. I enjoy JB but it has risks like everywhere else. If your in place and happy then "a bird in the hand" thing applies. And to bail out gracefully is easy..be honest sincere, tell the truth and JB will understand. You can then go back into the stack without prejudice.
Best of luck to you! ---Banger

crjdude said:

crjdude

Tough choice here. If you decline, you probably will not get a second chance. What it boils down to is what you and your family want to do. Honestly, I'd stay at Netjets. I am assuming you're a captain at NJ so I would probably stay. Do you really want to commute to JFK??

hydrarkt said:
I'm a 6 year NJA pilot. I make about $98k before per diem, OT etc. I figure about $110 after all is said and done this year. 50% 401kmatch. full, free health. I work 7 on 7 off with 3 weeks of vacation (which is actually 9 weeks). I can start work at any decent sized airport (though I use BOS now).
I just got a call from JBA asking if I was still interested. I said "yes." I have friends who turned down JBA to stay at NJA after we got the new contract.

You folks at JBA that left the frax or anyone with an intelligent observation: would you leave NJA for JBA?? ps... I'm 39.

NO! i think the trick in aviation is to find a place you "remotely" like working at...AND STAY! especially if it is a seniority based system. there will ALWAYS be greener pastures out there and there will always be a better job somewhere...but you will never establish yourself or your family if you keep jumping to greener pastures. inevitably those greener pastures are replaced with other greener pastures every "six" years! same thing with marriage...you get the 7 year itch...maybe try to replace the wife on a newer model and inherit all the problems of the old wife in addition to the new and more prominent problems of the new wife.

better plan...use those 7 days off to start a biz outside of flying!

seniority numbers

hydrarkt said:

You may find the following fact useful in making your decision. Current fleet size: 90 busses, 11 190s, if all goes well, there'll be 233 total busses and 200 total 190s by around 2013. 7.3 crews per planes as promised by management equals 1700 total bus captains and 1460 total 190 captains. We have roughly 1470 total pilots on the master seniority list as of last week. This means most of all the future bus captains are already hired. No much retirement with a young pilot work force, lots of guys/gals in their 30s and 40s. The pay difference is around $40/hour between the bus and 190 captain. I've been here around 1.5 years and have moved up only about 20 numbers.
If you're not on the property within the next 3 months or so you won't see the left seat of the bus for at least 5-6 years. I hope this little factoid helps. Good luck to you. We're about the same age, do you have kids to feed?

Latest resources

Back