Jetblue Proud To Be The First To Drop Health Coverage For Labor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shadesofBS

Jetblue announced today that it will be the first airline to take the brave (and profitable) step of dropping health coverage entirely.

When asked how the decision squares with their stated values, Jetblue responded "it's completely in line with what we've been talking about on a go forward basis considering the new paradigm and in light of the balanced analysis our business partners have put forward."

When asked what that means, a representative from Jetblue advised this reporter to read the glossy brochures.

When asked how they thought the pilots would respond, all this reporter could get from the Jetblue representative was laughter so I asked if there was any free pizza in the interest of fun.

My family would like to thank the BoBs and their PVC reps for their tireless efforts in bringing this completely unexpected improvement to our benefits sack.

Is this serious, even at my crappy charter company that I fly for we have fairly good health insurance that covers my whole family.

Hyperbole aside....

The actual numbers of our plans next year are staggering...

Family deductible to $2600/year...up from $800
Family Out of Pocket Max $7000/year
20% coinsurance after deductible

JetBlue will supply "seed" money of $800 to offset(sell) these plans to the masses. But, the seed money will evaporate after 3 years....and we'll just be left with these outrageous costs.

Now, we have a Pilot Retirement and Insurance Committee that is supposed collaborate with the company with regards to health insurance...so we don't need a third-party. But as has happened the last 2 years....THEY WERE NOT INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS.

Can anyone seriously question the need for professional negotiators? Can anyone seriously and honestly say we're better off without representation? Is this collaborative? Our peers at other major airlines have negotiated health insurance rates written into their CBA's. JetBlue can and will do as they please to our benefits....BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Because 1193 pilots thought paying 1.95% was too painful...because they upgraded in 6 months...because ALPA furloughed them...because ALPA hurt their feelings at their toilet regional. We should be negotiating our first CBA right now, not watching this abortion from the sidelines.

But hey....thank god we're not paying dues...:rolleyes:

Don't forget:

- the introduction of HRA
- 50% cost sharing for drugs
- $560 a month premium

And the fact that most everyone will only realize about $400 of the so-called seed money.

This is catastrophic coverage.

We are now, in effect, paying for our own health care.

We said it would happen seven years ago and it did.

You can thank Obozo Care for your situation. Cheaper to pay a $2,500 fine per employee than to provide health care above Medicad. But you can keep your Doctor - Not.

At this point, one can only pray that 3A will be a massive punch in the gut.

Heads rolling about would be nice.

You can thank Obozo Care for your situation. Cheaper to pay a $2,500 fine per employee than to provide health care above Medicad. But you can keep your Doctor - Not.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I can thank 1193 No voters for delaying our CBA at least another year.

This has NOTHING to do with Obama Care. There's a cure for Obama Care...

It's called a CBA.

People with CBA's don't care about Obama Care. Unfortunately, that doesn't include JetBlue pilots...yet.

Negative.

You're wrong.

This started during the Bush years and is simply a CHOICE by Jetblew's BOD to build the company on the backs of their employees. Although that won't keep them from convincing dumb a$$es like you that Obama made them do it.

Hyperbole aside....

The actual numbers of our plans next year are staggering...

Family deductible to $2600/year...up from $800
Family Out of Pocket Max $7000/year
20% coinsurance after deductible

JetBlue will supply "seed" money of $800 to offset(sell) these plans to the masses. But, the seed money will evaporate after 3 years....and we'll just be left with these outrageous costs.

Now, we have a Pilot Retirement and Insurance Committee that is supposed collaborate with the company with regards to health insurance...so we don't need a third-party. But as has happened the last 2 years....THEY WERE NOT INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS.

Can anyone seriously question the need for professional negotiators? Can anyone seriously and honestly say we're better off without representation? Is this collaborative? Our peers at other major airlines have negotiated health insurance rates written into their CBA's. JetBlue can and will do as they please to our benefits....BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Because 1193 pilots thought paying 1.95% was too painful...because they upgraded in 6 months...because ALPA furloughed them...because ALPA hurt their feelings at their toilet regional. We should be negotiating our first CBA right now, not watching this abortion from the sidelines.

But hey....thank god we're not paying dues...:rolleyes:

I work for a legacy with bad insurance. This is not just a Jetblue problem.

Here's a summary of my health insurance.

premium for a family about @230/month
family deductible $3000 with 80/20 coverage after that
maximum out of pocket $5000+$3000 deductible-$1500 they give you to make the plan seem okay=$6500 out of pocket

Latest resources

Back