• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

momalley81

Done spillt mah beer...
http://cbs4.com/local/cabbie.killer.cab.2.829074.html

Jet Blue Pilots Charged In Broward Cabbie Attack

Click Here to read the arrest report

MIAMI (CBS4) ― Ft. Lauderdale police have arrested a pair of Jet Blue pilots in connection with an attack on a Miami cab driver last August.

William Hart Smith and Brad Leopard, both pilots and flight instructors for the New Your-based airline, have been charged with felony battery and theft in connection with the assault on cabbie Juan Martin.

Police said the incident happened August 12th, when Martin picked up a fare around 3 a.m. at the Solid Gold club on Oakland Park Boulevard in Oakland Park. Martin told CBS4 Reporter Peter D'Oench when they the got in his cab, Smith, Leopard and a third man asked to be taken to a Subway shop.

When they arrived, instead of paying the $9 fare the police report states the men objected to the price and argued with the driver. The arrest form said the men left the cab and started to walk away. Martin said when he got out of the car to go after them and demand his fare, Smith and Leopard turned violent.

"You're stupid," Martin said the men screamed at him him. "You don't know what you're doing. Who do you think we are? Tourists?"

"I went to defend myself. Then they hit me in the mouth," said Martin. "They were a little drunk, they were crazy guys. They hit me in the head."

Then it turned savage, Martin said.

"They kicked me in the head, both of them. They kicked me in the head….15 to 20 times."

Martin suffered a concussion and a broken right ankle.

Police say the third man did not take part in the attack and has not been charged.

A surveillance camera at the Subway caught the men as they were walking away. Martin's daughter persuaded the sub shop's managers to let her videotape the tape which she gave to police and urged them to continue their investigation.

According to the police report, a witness saw the attack and verified the cabbie's charges.

The two men told police they share a Ft. Lauderdale condo. Both are listed in FAA records as commercial pilots and flight instructors.

Bryan Baldwin, a spokesperson for Jet Blue, confirmed both men fly for the low-price carrier, but would not say if the men would continue to fly for the airline.

"Jet Blue will continue to monitor this case and see if appropriate action is warranted," Baldwin saidhttp://www.mgandassociates.com/

When they arrived, instead of paying the $9 fare the police report states the men objected to the price and argued with the driver.

proof the 190 rates need to go up. i heard the fight escalated when both pilots learned the cabbie made more than them...

whoops, shoulda kept my a$$hole comments to myself.

We should start a new reality TV show - Pilots Gone Wild.

Beating up cabbies.

Sex in the woods inside the airport perimiter.

Mooning people.

Spreading genital herpes to flight attendants.

The list goes on and on...

BTW - Failure to pay a cab fare is a crime.

Senior

It will be VERY interesting to see what the company (if anything) does to them..

On a side note,

Moons Over Tennessee
Two airline pilots were arrested after an incident Friday on Alcoa Highway during which one of the men pulled his shorts down and mooned northbound traffic, according to an Alcoa police report.

Officers responded to a call of an intoxicated subject at El Sazon Mexicano Restaurant, 2650 Alcoa Highway, Alcoa. Officers received information en route that one of the men became irate with the restaurant�s manager after employees refused to serve him more alcoholic drinks, according to the report.

The subject also allegedly attempted to start a physical confrontation with management employees.

While approaching the general area, an officer observed Jeffrey Leon Saltis, 43, Pittsburgh, Pa., pulling his shorts down and mooning northbound traffic. Officers also noticed another male subject later identified as Michael Cody Etzel, 25, Richmond, Va., walking with a female in front of Applebee�s.

The female was attempting to take pictures of the male subject showing his buttocks to the public, according to the report.

Saltis told officers he was a pilot with United Express, according to the report.

Bill Mishk, a spokesperson for Trans States Airlines, which is affiliated with United Express, said the company can confirm they received notification that two employees were detained by local authorities Friday.

Mishk, however, could not for reasons of confidentiality identity these employees, he said.

The employees were pilots, and they were moved immediately from flight status, said Mishk. Trans States Airlines is currently investigating the matter, he said.

Saltis was charged with public intoxication and indecent exposure.

Etzel was charged with public intoxication.

Both men were free on bonds pending a 1:30 p.m. Oct. 6 hearing in Blount County General Sessions Court.

For more details, check www.thedailytimes.com and read the Sunday edition of The Daily Times.

Since I know of many ex Waterskiers at JB, thought you might also be interested in this.
Scary how many guys are throwing away their career. Hopefully they can get help for their alcohol/anger problem.

Motch

Flown with both of these guys - two of the most easygoing, non-confrontational guys I've ever met....

There will be more to this story....

Flown with both of these guys - two of the most easygoing, non-confrontational guys I've ever met....

Then again, you probably didn't ask them for $9 for a ride to Subway. :smash:

Latest resources

Back