• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Pilot jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I gotta agree with the last few posts. Dogg, you're not doing anyone any favors by telling them not to say hi to the CA/FO. You may consider a jumpseater a "guest of the airline", but if the CA doesn't want him/her to ride in back for free, it ain't gonna happen.

I think the best thing to do is either tell the FA at the door that you want to poke you're head in the cockpit and say hi or at least ask the FA is the CA wants to see jumpseaters. A little courtesy goes a long way.

Dude, give it a rest....If they are in the back they are just another non-rev...I always made a point of telling the gate agent to tell cabin jumpseaters not to bother....they are a guest of the airline not the captain....up front of course is" a whole notha thing"

Let me guess, you wear a backpack and are part of the goatee crowd too.

I HATE that our system is setup to have to make you call a number to JS. There should be no requirement for this to JS...I don't like it.

Sorry for the headache guys.

On the other hand pilots can ride in our FA jumpseats, my experience is that the gate agents will list you if they're not busy. If you walk up at the last minute with the gate swamped then good luck. I really don't think listing via a toll free number is a big deal. Regardless if sitting in back check in with captain.

Last edited:
Dude, give it a rest....If they are in the back they are just another non-rev...I always made a point of telling the gate agent to tell cabin jumpseaters not to bother....they are a guest of the airline not the captain....up front of course is" a whole notha thing"

Never mind that pesky little detail of checking their license, company I.D., and current medical. It's required of you as the captain to check their credentials no matter where they sit. There have been several fake jump seat flyers in the past and if the captains would have performed this simple check they would not have been allowed to fly at all. Do your job, your are the Captain start acting like one.

Never mind that pesky little detail of checking their license, company I.D., and current medical. It's required of you as the captain to check their credentials no matter where they sit. There have been several fake jump seat flyers in the past and if the captains would have performed this simple check they would not have been allowed to fly at all. Do your job, your are the Captain start acting like one.

Actually, the Captain is only required to check the proper credentials when a person is occupying the flight deck jumpseat (check your FOM). However, I do agree that all "jumpseaters" should check in with the Captain before sitting in the back. Not only is it common courtesy, but it can also be helpful in case of an emergency.

Actually, the Captain is only required to check the proper credentials when a person is occupying the flight deck jumpseat (check your FOM). However, I do agree that all "jumpseaters" should check in with the Captain before sitting in the back. Not only is it common courtesy, but it can also be helpful in case of an emergency.

Yes I know what the FOM says, but I also know that every e-mail from flight ops management and the safety department has encouraged us to do more than is written in the FOM. You will be the first person questioned and hung out to dry when an unauthorized jumpseater makes it onto your flight. They will want to know why you didn't check to see if they were infact qualified to fly using that privilege. Quite frankly, the Captain is the Inflight Security Coordinator and knowingly accepting a standard that may be a threat to the security of the flight and willingly forgoing a standard practice to check a jumpseater's credentials is beyond me. It only takes a minute or two to check someone's credentials, yes it is a courtesy, but if someone fails to check in with me they are off the flight. How hard is this for you to do your job. Everything about your job is not written in the FOM, but you do those things without someone spelling it our for you, don't you?

You will be the first person questioned and hung out to dry when an unauthorized jumpseater makes it onto your flight. They will want to know why you didn't check to see if they were infact qualified to fly using that privilege...........How hard is this for you to do your job. Everything about your job is not written in the FOM, but you do those things without someone spelling it our for you, don't you?

Floatplane, I am not trying to stir the pot, but instead stating facts. I had a FedEx salesperson in the FA jumpseat once. We found out shortly before our initial descent. I never saw the person get on the flight, nor did she ever present herself to me. I spoke to the CP, and was re-affirmed that it was not my responsibility (as per the FOM), nor was it the Flight Attendants' responsibility (as per the FAM). If anyone ever "hangs you out to dry" due to someone sitting in a cabin jumpseat, then you have an easy law suit on your hands. AO members are responsible for checking the credentials of anyone sitting in the cabin, period. Now if you want to go above and beyond these rules, then that is your choice. I don't disagree with your practices regarding jumpseating. Just stating facts is all.

Latest resources

Back