• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CPIU rises an average of 3.5% year over year.

--------

-1.3%

It's better than the union alternative. That would look like this

-2.0 (union dues)
-------
-3.3%

Like previously pointed out you are making the average that your union brethren are without paying the 2% to the MECs waistline.

-2.0 (union dues)
-------
-3.3%

Like previously pointed out you are making the average that your union brethren are without paying the 2% to the MECs waistline.

We are the most productive pilots in the industry according to the MIT airline data project (http://tinyurl.com/7xkpnwn) but we're paid, as a matter of company policy, the previous year's industry average. I'm happy that they finally got around to honoring the agreement, albeit two months late after a lot of tooth pulling, but I'm not happy with this policy at all. In addition to the inherant insult in the fact that they expect and receive industry leading performance from us while compensating us at the previous year's average you can add the fact that the company has not once followed this process that they created in accordance with the actual agreement. They can do this because they hold all the cards and we have no legal mechanism to compel them to play ball with us. We can't even compel them to show up to the game if they choose not to. We deserve better.

I'm sorry you don't feel well served by your union, but have you tried having a non union relationship with your company? Can you speak from real life experience what it's like to work at a union vs. non union carrier of a signifigant size? Most of the pro union pilots at JetBlue have seen both sides, they were probably excited to try the "direct relationship" and wanted to believe it could work, but they have seen that the grass isn't greener. Its not even real grass, it's astroturf.

I'll agree that a union is no panacea. There are legitimate gripes with unions too, but what they have that the "direct relationship" lacks is a legally defined and protected process to negotiate with the company. Thats the only promise, anyone who believes there is some other promise- better pay, job protection, etc is a fool and needs to stop believing in Santa Claus. Yes, its possible to get all those things through negotiating. We have some sharp, reasonable guys here, we work for a very profitable carrier and we trail our direct peers in most areas addressed by a CBA. I like our chances, but the only promise is the legal process itself, and I'm ok with that. In fact, I'm anxious to have it.

Certifying a union doesn't automatically equal a toxic APA vs AMR type situation- the company sets the tone on that.

-2.0 (union dues)
-------
-3.3%

That only applies to the hourly pay rate, not to the rest of the contract. So lets talk about health care costs, STD/LTD, loss of license, retirement benefits, rigs that produce 3 day trips worth 10 hours...

Shall I go on?

AC,

There is a lot more to this than you might know, so maybe listen before you speak.

You could aliken this to management honoring the signed contract, seem like that should be a simple matter and I don't think any particular outflow of gratitude is required. This is what they agreed to, this is what it should be!

As for the rest of the story, well, compensation isn't just pay, there are lots of other things to consider. Let's just put it this way, the current pay is a great bargain for the airline.

-2.0 (union dues)
-------
-3.3%

How long until you realize benefits and soft pay language matter? A decade from now? Two?

-2.0 (union dues)
-------
-3.3%

Dumbest post in the history of flightinfo. Penny wise and pound foolish.

-2.0 (union dues)
-------
-3.3%

Old fart divorced captain, retired military with pension, super senior and gets whatever he wants and doesn't give a crap about the other 2,300 of us that want to make this a better place to work.

I'd bet my life on it.

Old fart divorced captain, retired military with pension, super senior and gets whatever he wants and doesn't give a crap about the other 2,300 of us that want to make this a better place to work.

I'd bet my life on it.

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I don't even work for JB and you must not work for a unionized company if you think senior people don't support a union. Maybe at JB there are a larger amount of senior guys that don't support ALPA because they have all been thrown under the bus by them in the past. But normally it is the senior people that support ALPA because they control the union and think that they benefit at the junior members expense, even thou it usually is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back