• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For me ALPA's actions have always spoken louder then their name calling and intimidation tactics.

Let me guess. You had a job at a regional carrier and your contract did not provide you with mainline pay and benefits therefore ALPA failed you. You expected your regional carrier to be a carrier job, right? Meanwhile you were provided with benefits, retirement, safety, legal, and a job working for a small lift provider that was designed to be a stepping stone to a major carrier.

But normally it is the senior people that support ALPA because they control the union and think that they benefit at the junior members expense, even thou it usually is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Actually the plan was to have a seniority silo representative model instead of the traditional base/seat model. This nicely avoids the trap you describe. That idea got carried over to the current in-house non-union committee and I see no reason it would change under ALPA.

Let me guess. You had a job at a regional carrier and your contract did not provide you with mainline pay and benefits therefore ALPA failed you. You expected your regional carrier to be a carrier job, right? Meanwhile you were provided with benefits, retirement, safety, legal, and a job working for a small lift provider that was designed to be a stepping stone to a major carrier.

You are much closer than CaptnV or B6B if it makes you feel better about yourself. I didn't have any expectations and don't know who designed regionals to be stepping stones because I thought they were designed to be wage control for Major airlines. You guys are the ones with the unrealistic expectations of ALPA. I don't know how much I can take hearing you guys say "We need ALPA so we don't become like X airline" when X airline is, or was, an ALPA carrier.

If you could be specific what did ALPA do to you?

It’s more of what they don’t do then what they do. There are very few people that think this profession is heading in the right direction. The proof is in the lack of faith shown by how few people are getting trained to become pilots. ALPA is in a position to turn things around however they are too political to care about the future. It’s easier for them to keep the status quo, keeping their union pay then to rock the boat and possibly lose everything. If you ask them why they can’t get anything done they will always cite the RLA or say it’s not a mandatory negotiating item. I just want to be like the club owner in kill bill when Budd tells him why he isn’t doing his job http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaf11UNSvcQ&feature=related .

ALPA has done almost nothing to prevent scope relaxation, supported increasing the retirement age at worst possible time (while thousands were on furlough), and supports pitting pilots against each other. For me personally, they don’t answer the phone, don’t return phone calls, don’t show their presence in the crew lounge, and don’t educate the pilot group in any way. Instead they, push their views with no supporting data, too often sound like an echo from management, allow clear violations of the CBA to occur with days of advanced notice, and overall provide a false sense of security.

And yet... the DR has even less to offer.

maybe, but are you certain that you will get more than 2% because you will need that just to break even. I'm by no means an expert on the JB agreement however if you are getting the industry standard that's all that ALPA will ever strive for.
I'm not a union hater. I would support them fully if they worked and most importantly upheld the "collective interests of all pilots in commercial aviation", as their mission statement says.

Last edited:
maybe, but are you certain that you will get more than 2% because you will need that just to break even. I'm by no means an expert on the JB agreement however if you are getting the industry standard that's all that ALPA will ever strive for.

I'm not going into details, but suffice it to say that across the board industry average would be a vast improvement. And merely average in areas we lack need a CBA to implement. So yeah, 2% is a bargain.

if you are getting the industry standard that's all that ALPA will ever strive for.

Depends on the defintion of standard. We don't automitically get and need to fight for the combined average of airlines who someone else says is our peer from 2 years ago. Right out of the blocks that "average" is outdated. Then that standard applies only to pay rate. Retirement, healthcare and work rules are father behind. Everything is in vague writing up for interpretation and the company is the judge and final say.

Latest resources

Back