• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue or UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While this is true, you need to have been hired and signed that contract with JB PRIOR to your initial recall.

When I was hired at JB I figured about a 10% chance that I'd return to UAL. Now, it has completely changed. Unless things start changing at JB I'll probably return to UAL sometime next year.

I think JB has about 1700 pilots now. If you decide to stay at JB with a 1700+ seniority number it will be many, many years until you have the chance to upgrade to A320 captain, which is the only seat at JB where one can make decent money. And, unless you have 25+ years until retirement you will stay junior on the Airbus for most of your career as there are many young A320 captains at JB.

One of the biggest reasons I am seriously considering going back to UAL is because of ALPA. I know that their reputation hasn't been stellar in the past five years, but when UAL's contract is up in '09 I believe that the pilot group will be demanding increases in pay and benefits. At JB we have no representation and just have to take whatever management tells us they can afford.

There are way too many factors involved for any of us here on FI to give you sound advice. In the end it will be a personal choice based on the facts you have at the time. Unfortunately, none of us has a crystal ball.

Good luck with your decision.

GP

You certainly are correct about ALPA's less than stellar performance but that is a topic for another day.
I wouldn't hold my breath until 2009 before you see any changes to wages. There are far too many possibilites as to what what the landscape will look like for United before that day comes. Based on your comments, I will venture to guess that you have had two airlines your entire career, United and JB. Both are very different from one another on many levels. You simply cannot compare the two. As you said, GP...Good Luck with your decision.

Not only that she used to rag on all the guys who worked at commuters about how she "fits" in at UAL even though she had 325TT! She use to be on the old Compuserve forums I think it was called AVSIG back then.

I am GLAD she is no longer working at UAL. I hope a bunch more of the Wonder Children leave as well!

How much time did Rick Dubinsky have when he got hired at UAL

Not hard to accumulate that kind of cash when you don't contribute to pensions any more and pay the rates they advertise now!

So using that line of thinking, JetBlue ought to be able to accumulate that kind of cash too. Right?

I would go with which ever of the two has the best personal advantages for you - commuting, etc. The compensation at both airlines is awful.

Back to the thread at hand...

Albie you made some really good points about both airlines...

I've been with JB almost 5 years now... definitely a big change from the beginning at JB... JB has pretty much turned into just another airline with all the associated problems... from what I've been hearing with us, most of the short term growth will be on the 190 side... with 1700 pilots already and 230 total bus orders (7 Capts/aircraft), and a young pilot group, one can pretty much say that all the bus Capts have already been hired on the property for now...

I have friends at JB who were furloughed from UAL... one is staying here, one is thinking of going back... My friend who is staying at JB did all the pros and cons, with QOL and not having to commute, plus he'll be able to upgrade to Bus Capt, weighing on his final decision...

That all being said... JB is still a good place to work, with really nice people and a management that is open and does seem to care,
Good luck with your decision...

Had a little private conversation....there was NO letter.

I'll eat a little crow when required. Might not be required here.

Anyone who can compete at an Olympic level probably has personality with some STRONG edges. Not everyone digs those types. Then again--not everyone finds fighter pilots cuddly, but I have quite a few that are lifelong friends.

If you hated her at United--you got your wish--she ain't there. She won't be back. Instead of being PO'd, however--you ought to say "thanks...", as everyone moved up a number when she left. (Come to think of it, I wish about 1000 Fedex captains would leave to make a statement too!...maybe that MD11 Capt job wouldn't be so far away...)

She lied to you "Eagle" driver....sorry!

MEC has the letter. THATS A FACT JACK!

How much time did Rick Dubinsky have when he got hired at UAL

That was back in the 60's? What is you point?

Rick and Sled driver are WAY too different animals....nice try clown face!

So using that line of thinking, JetBlue ought to be able to accumulate that kind of cash too. Right?

I would go with which ever of the two has the best personal advantages for you - commuting, etc. The compensation at both airlines is awful.

Agreed! Because that's all that's left in the end...QOL
As I've said before, tough to compare 75 years to 6 years.

I might add that bankrupcty has beautiful benefits that both Wall Street and the airline managements enjoy.

Not only that she used to rag on all the guys who worked at commuters about how she "fits" in at UAL even though she had 325TT! She use to be on the old Compuserve forums I think it was called AVSIG back then.

I am GLAD she is no longer working at UAL. I hope a bunch more of the Wonder Children leave as well!

325 TT.. Disgusting.

Latest resources

Back