• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jetblue or spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd catch the Spirit......at this point they've weathered the contract storm, furloughs, strike etc....Pretty good QOL with their contract.

Plus I like representation, even if it is ALPA.

Where do you live. If you live in south FL I would take the first offer. If you live in New Hampshire pick B6. If you live near DTW pick Spirit. See where I'm going with this.

Do you actually have a choice?

Apply to both like they're both the last carriers on earth- when you have a choice weigh it out.

All bases equal- I just think the B6 experience/culture is better- but it's an uninformed opinion. I'd want representation as well.

Quick check of APC, seems only spirit is hiring- so easy choice- best carrier is always the one who hires you. Many pilots have over thought themselves into mediocre careers.

Do you actually have a choice?

Apply to both like they're both the last carriers on earth- when you have a choice weigh it out.

Boy, no kidding. Applied to both. Phone isn't ringing. Would be nice to have a choice but in all liklihood there won't be one.

Spirit

I was initially going to say Jetblue, but after reading the links below, it made me reconsider. As has been said, take the first offer. If you get an offer from both within a short timeframe of each other, I'd recommend you take a close look at their contracts, domiciles, and future expansion plans and ask yourself where you'd be happier. I haven't applied the analytical rigor in comparing contracts, but with the little info that I have, I'd be leaning toward Spirit. Both seem like a great place to call home though. Not an airline pilot yet, so my opinion is from the outside looking in.
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2010/10/spirit-major-expansion-new-cities/129120/1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_Airlines

The whole career is a roll of the dice anyway - after 14 years of flying for a (meager) living I'll take luck any day wrt to career options over anything else you have actual control over.

I just flew with a guy who was at Tigers in the 80's. Guess that swap wasn't the best roll of the dice - but all he could do back then (and today also) was weigh his options given the information he had and make a decision. After that your just along for the ride.

After time almost all of us have a story like this. I was hired at AirTran prior to 9-11 but turned it down to stay at a commuter and upgrade for PIC TURB and a better shot a UAL/AA/DAL which was the holy grail in those days. Back then that was a good move (waiting for PIC TURB time) but looking back 10+ years later not so much.

So in the end weigh your options with the information on hand and make your best guess - outside that grab your rabbits foot, do a rain dance, shake some chicken bones and call us back after you retire to let us know how it all worked out.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back