• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duuude...
the career numbers on pay and retirement aren't even close,

depends on how old you are and when you upgrade/equipment

I'll be upgrading to a narrow body not an RJ,

[QUOTE]ya but when will you upgrade?, back to EWR on reserve if you want it soon. I say ten years with future orders and the age 65 thing.[/QUOTE]

my health premiums are half what they were at B6 with no $800 deductibles,

how much did you spend during the first six months for health care, or did you risk it?

my coverage is greatly expanded,

how is it greatly expanded, its another freaking HMO.

I have a reliable set of work rules,
ya, and you work like a dog and you get 11 days off per month.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I secured a job with some RLA protections,

Ask a US Air guy how that worked out for them, or United, Delta, or NWA

and I don't know if you've been to JFK lately but my commute and crashpad alternatives to IAH are half the commitment in time and money that New York was.

Ok, so you picked your job based on how cheap the crashpad was?

But that's just me.

Point is they are both marginal jobs with lots of unknowns, don't go high and mighty about CAL when everyone knows it just another legacy that pays like a LCC and work rules to boot.

Last edited:
I don't work there, or want to spin anything. Just wondering why you think your "sheet" job is better than a B6 "sheet" job.

Seems to me you came here to justify to yourself that you made the right decision and leave the pot for the kettle.

So if anyone is spinning anything it was you, this was about the jetblue open house.

OK, earnings, QOL, and benefits aside - if that place suffers a few more major melt downs like the ones they seem to have nearly every month, they won't be able to fend of the sharks when the takeover is easy. JFK is gridlock.
And who knows what Neeleman or Soros plan to do with their shares now that David is on the outs. Maybe get back in with a new deal.
If I was a shareholder at $14 a share, I wouldn't mind making a buyout deal that might get me $20 a share. Especially if you're nervous about operational integrity and the soundness of the business plan in general.
So I suppose if you have confidence that you'll make it onto the seniority list of the acquiring airline with no union, no RLA, and no collective bargaining agreement -
then I guess it's a good move because you could end up flying a 757 at NWA, UAL, or DAL.
If you end up re-interviewing for your job, it will be billed as a colossal waste of time.
But I do agree with your position that these jobs are not what they used to be. Which is why we will see pressure from the supply side of the pilot pool soon - if we're not already.
It's crazy that if you were hired at NWA or UAL today, you would make less per hour than a pilot at Frontier. Nothing against Frontier, but it's a long way to fall.
Peace brother.

I am glad people that unhappy with JetBlue left. I wish they all would. I worked at CAL a long time ago, and I called my old boss to ask him to throw my reference letter away and do not call Flt Ops on my behalf. Good news is: QOL is on the up and up at CAL, their decision to simplify the fleet is great, and they have made very good decisions and will be a long term player. However...

Their 1st year pay is bull$hit. Why would you hire RJ and F16 drivers making $70K+ per year, give them a new job making only $25K, no healthcare for 6 months??? Say what you want about B6, but we would never treat our employees that way. That is awful, and a safety concern. Do you think that FO with financial problems and marital woes thanks to lack of $$$ is in the game on that approach to mins in SFO? Doubt it. That is no way to treat ANY employee. The $$$ is bad enough, but when COBRA costs $900 per month, that's half of your net pay!!! How do you pay your mortage? Buy food? Buy gas? At the very least, I am sure it makes very happy employees.

On the hiring note at Jet Blue, I have an SIC type rating on the EMB170/190 but only 3000TT with all the boxes checked!

Am I still not competitive at JetBlue????

Latest resources

Back