JetBlue Open House in September

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like the way you think.
Could this mean the end of Uppercrus.....er...I mean Instructordude?

I forgot about Uppercrust -- what happened to 32LT10?

I forgot about Uppercrust -- what happened to 32LT10?

He was sent for a weeks vacation at "trembling acres" for personal attacks and told to keep it clean. Then, he came back and couldn't control himself so he was sent away on permanent vacation. THEN, he paid the ten bucks to come back as "MRFLYER" so he could continue his B6 lovefest. He still couldn't contain himself and I believe he was sent away again. My guess he gets loose from his straight jacket now and again, only long enough to build a statue of Neelman out of his own feces.
But I digress.

If you're a regional Captain on an RJ, you need to seriously question a lateral move to Jetblue.
In most cases, you're going to take a hit on benefits and you're probably not going to do a whole lot better pay wise in the short-term. If you have apps out to UAL, CAL, SWA, Fedex, UPS, etc. - you're probably better off retaining the benefits you have now and waiting for a move up.
Be very careful about hanging yourself out to dry on health care. They're one of the worst in the industry and you could find yourself in a very expensive situation.
Jet time is jet time and if hiring is going to pick up soon. Better to make one move.
If you're an FO or you need some jet time, then go get some 190/320 time and move on.
Good luck.

If you're a regional Captain on an RJ, you need to seriously question a lateral move to Jetblue.
In most cases, you're going to take a hit on benefits and you're probably not going to do a whole lot better pay wise in the short-term. If you have apps out to UAL, CAL, SWA, Fedex, UPS, etc. - you're probably better off retaining the benefits you have now and waiting for a move up.
Be very careful about hanging yourself out to dry on health care. They're one of the worst in the industry and you could find yourself in a very expensive situation.
Jet time is jet time and if hiring is going to pick up soon. Better to make one move.
If you're an FO or you need some jet time, then go get some 190/320 time and move on.
Good luck.

As far as a lateral move, you obviously never flew for a regional. Cancer is a lateral move from a regional!

Make your own decisions for yourself. Not everyone chases the $ that comes with 10 hour flights to Europe, weekly overhauls of circadian rhythms, and a NASA-proven shorter life after retirement that comes with legacy and cargo flying. $150K is nothing to sneeze at for a domestic narrowbody Captain seat, but $250K has a physiological price. Southwest pilots only worry about long-term liver problems.

Besides, grass that is greener today might not be tomorrow. Ask an Eastern newhire back in 1988 if he was worried about job security. This line of work SUCKS, and you only know if you made the right decision on your 60th (soon 65th) birthday, or even after that if poor management at a legacy raped your retirement. Just get a job and make the most of it. Work hard to make your company the best it can be because this industry is unkind, unpredictable, and unlucky.

I did fly for a regional or two and my benefits and QOL were much better than they were at Jetblue.
A few of my friends found themselves in health-care hell when they went to Jetblue.
I moved on because the cost/benefit just wasn't there and the commute to JFK was agony.
For me, Jetblue was a good place to get some time but they have a long way to go before I would consider them a career major.
Job security? You have to be kidding?
Your crystal ball has Jetblue pilots safe and secure in twenty years?
Good luck with that one.
By all means apply. But keep all those other applications updated because I think the reality of Jetblue is much different than the brand they sell you.
Am I better off at CAL? I think so.
You don't have to.

I keep hearing CAL QOL sucks, how is commuting the EWR or Houston any easier than JFK. I think you have to wait 6 months for health care at CAL, talk about hell if something happens.
I suspect you jumped ship thinking CAL would be different and now you find its really not, except at CAL they work your ass off, you work every weekend, they are always undermanned, same ******************** different paint job dude.

Duuude...
the career numbers on pay and retirement aren't even close,
I'll be upgrading to a narrow body not an RJ,
my health premiums are half what they were at B6 with no $800 deductibles,
my coverage is greatly expanded,
I have a reliable set of work rules,
I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I secured a job with some RLA protections,
and I don't know if you've been to JFK lately but my commute and crashpad alternatives to IAH are half the commitment in time and money that New York was.
But that's just me.

Can we please stop the "My airline is better than yours crap"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back