Jetblue Landing Observation

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
Total Time
6000+
Was anyone else surprised when the first responders to the aircraft IMMEDIATELY began wandering around UNDER the aircraft nose as it sat on its stub??!! I really would have thought a conservative/safer approach would have been to get some jacks or something on the nose in case the strut let go. To make matters worse, then they ran a set of airstairs up against the aircraft and just assumed it was going to be okay while unloading the pax. Thankfully it wasn't a problem. It seemed like things were well handled up to that point. It would have been a shame if that Airbus had done a face plant and hurt someone after it had been brought to zero knots so successfully. JMHO

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
Not that I am an engineer, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think the nosewheel strut is a lot stronger than you think. Having seen videos of test, the landing was a piece of cake to the strut.

I have little doubt, that the strut assembly is quite serviceable, sure it will need some news parts, but I doubt there is internal structural failure.

gear_guy

Total Time
6000+
AdlerDriver said:
Was anyone else surprised when the first responders to the aircraft IMMEDIATELY began wandering around UNDER the aircraft nose as it sat on its stub??!! I really would have thought a conservative/safer approach would have been to get some jacks or something on the nose in case the strut let go. To make matters worse, then they ran a set of airstairs up against the aircraft and just assumed it was going to be okay while unloading the pax. Thankfully it wasn't a problem. It seemed like things were well handled up to that point. It would have been a shame if that Airbus had done a face plant and hurt someone after it had been brought to zero knots so successfully. JMHO
Its funny you said that. I had the exact same observations. What a tragic end if the pilot did such an amazing job and them some doofus got squashed like a bug.

gear_guy

Total Time
6000+
AdlerDriver said:
Its funny you said that. I had the exact same observations. I mean, lets not deploy the inflatable stairs b/c someone might twist an ankle. But instead lets crawl under the nose and take a look.:confused:

8vATE

Cruel, Nice, Whatever
Total Time
11000+
I'm positive that one of the first responders installed "gear collars" on the nose gear during the inspection.

There have been 4-5 other recorded 90 degree offsets of nose wheels.

The nose gear struts have remained intact on all of them.