Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
Was anyone else surprised when the first responders to the aircraft IMMEDIATELY began wandering around UNDER the aircraft nose as it sat on its stub??!! I really would have thought a conservative/safer approach would have been to get some jacks or something on the nose in case the strut let go. To make matters worse, then they ran a set of airstairs up against the aircraft and just assumed it was going to be okay while unloading the pax. Thankfully it wasn't a problem. It seemed like things were well handled up to that point. It would have been a shame if that Airbus had done a face plant and hurt someone after it had been brought to zero knots so successfully. JMHO

Not that I am an engineer, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think the nosewheel strut is a lot stronger than you think. Having seen videos of test, the landing was a piece of cake to the strut.

I have little doubt, that the strut assembly is quite serviceable, sure it will need some news parts, but I doubt there is internal structural failure.

AdlerDriver said:
Was anyone else surprised when the first responders to the aircraft IMMEDIATELY began wandering around UNDER the aircraft nose as it sat on its stub??!! I really would have thought a conservative/safer approach would have been to get some jacks or something on the nose in case the strut let go. To make matters worse, then they ran a set of airstairs up against the aircraft and just assumed it was going to be okay while unloading the pax. Thankfully it wasn't a problem. It seemed like things were well handled up to that point. It would have been a shame if that Airbus had done a face plant and hurt someone after it had been brought to zero knots so successfully. JMHO

Its funny you said that. I had the exact same observations. What a tragic end if the pilot did such an amazing job and them some doofus got squashed like a bug.

AdlerDriver said:

Its funny you said that. I had the exact same observations. I mean, lets not deploy the inflatable stairs b/c someone might twist an ankle. But instead lets crawl under the nose and take a look.:confused:

I'm positive that one of the first responders installed "gear collars" on the nose gear during the inspection.

There have been 4-5 other recorded 90 degree offsets of nose wheels.

The nose gear struts have remained intact on all of them.

Latest resources

Back