• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Go for it . . .

dlredline said:
Cube,

If it's your dream, pursue it. Don't let the naysayers convince you otherwise. Who knows what the industry will look like in 2007. Many of those on furlough have found other flying jobs or changed professions. There will be numerous retirements between now and then. Bottom line is, who knows what to expect. If your desire is to become a pilot, go for it. I think you'll be successful any any endeavor if you have the ambition and the drive to succeed.

Happy Holidays!

DL :)

i agree, nothing in life is certain. i was laid off from a non aviation job after sept 11 and it took me nearly 2 years to find a full time job and many of my friends went through the same thing. i really enjoying flying the only problem is the $$ --of course and paying for the training and owing tons of $ and not being able to pay your bills after , sounds very scary!

To answer a couple of questions: Competitive mins vary by quality of experience, but as far as I know there is not a lowering of mins for those with an internal LOR. It just helps separate one 6000 hour person from another (for example).

There is no exemption for J-32's on the 20,000 lb requirement... At least, not that I've heard of.

Pilot career

cubegirl7 said:
oh boy, so i should not become a pilot then?
No and yes. Just be aware that you'll be standing in line a long time for your goals to materialize, if they materialize at all. For many people, they do not materialize.

The people who are in the line ahead of you are the airline pilots who were furloughed as a result of the recession which was further driven by 911, and the others who started before you and are waiting their turns. In addition, the landscape of the industry is changing. It used to be that getting to a regional was a primary objective because you could build your quals for a major. Now, more and more regionals are taking over much of the flying from the majors. That means fewer jobs at the majors and the increased likelihood that the regionals will be the career for many, and fewer openings for new-hires. So, depending on your goals, there may be nothing for you at the end.

Do go for the career, if that's what you want, but beware of the risks. Be ready to work hard for starvation wages. There is no pilot shortage. Be able to do something else if you cannot get anywhere as a pilot.

Good luck with your plans.

Last edited:
Jointops,

I was going to PM you but decided other folks might be interested too....

How many folks made it through Phase I at your Jan 14 interviews?

Thanks and fly safe!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back