jetblue EMB-190 pay??!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilots are complicit

First post in a week - - it was good to get around the world, literally, but I've gotta lotta reading to catch up on. :eek:

It appears that most of the ground that I might have trampled on this topic has already been covered, with the exception of this:

How is it that the pilots of JetBlue can on the one hand condemn those outsiders who might level objections to the style of management and the degree of blind followership that this very successful airline enjoys, and then be so quick to divorce themselves of any responsibility in the process that produces such insulting pay rates? It's not us, it's management! Hey, they did it and they didn't even ask us! What happened to "We're all one big happy family, drinking the same juice."? If it's "We think this about cleaning airplanes" and "We think this about lengthening duty limits" why isn't it "We think RJ pay rates should be low."?

My point is this: The process that is now in place is only there because pilots have signed contracts, pilots have made themselves willing pawns in the hands of management, and pilots really have no voice in the process. Or am I wrong? Because if I'm wrong, if pilots DO have a voice, then the pilots are just as much to blame as the management whom so many of you are now daring to accuse of making a mistake, missing the boat, or inviting unionism. (And who was it that said it wasn't really Needleman's fault?!?! Talk about talking out of both sides of the face!! Needleman's a saint if you like everything, and when something goes wrong he obviously had no part?!?! Gimme a break!)

Your hands are not clean.

We're all dyin' to know!

OK, all this complainin' and no one has stated what WOULD be a "fair" scale. If you look at other majors, the differential between a 5-yr capt on the biggest to smallest equipment usually falls at between 70-75%. At Independence, the diff (b/w 'bus and CRJ) is 51%. JetBlue stands at 63.6%, midrange within the industry like always (in regards to compensation). So, what does everyone expect? Another $8-10/hr? Someone post a revised 190 scale that would be "adequate", PLEASE! I'm really curious!!!

First of all, I am a Jetblue pilot. I was hired a little over a year ago. I received my DHL package this week and was really let down when I read the fine print. I got a message the night before on my company email that let me know of a new "agreement" that was being sent. I have until October to sign and return this agreement to take advantage of it. I thought it was going to be a raise, and possibly post the EMB rates.

After reading it, I was in shock. We didn't get a raise and the EMB rates were an embarrassment. I read this forum from time to time for fun, but decided to do the improper thing and make a statement. I should upgrade to Captain (A-320) by next spring, but after this new "agreement", I applied to other carriers (Fedex, SWA, and even Virgins email). I realize that management can dictate any pay scale or work rules that they want and there is really nothing we can say. My stock options are "under water" and I don't think they will be worth much when they fully mature (six more years). I think it is time to consider thinking about unionizing. I don't want to bankrupt the company, but I do think we deserve higher pay for our very high productivity. It really bothers me that JB people always talk about their annual earnings. The people that make 160K work about 95 hours a month, and time and a half after 70 means you work alot. The company understaffs and 80+ hours a month is standard. I don't know about you, but I don't think this productivity is sustainable.

In short, the 300+ FOs behind me should be happy. I am looking to move on to a company that doesn't try to pay 72 bucks an hour for a 100 seat jet (capable of 2000+miles). I paid my 50 bucks to Fedex and put in my SWA app as well. I am embarrassed to be working for Jetblue after this EMB debacle and have no trust in management to do "the right thing."

For those that want to work here, it is a good place to work. But you have to realize that you have zero control over your work conditions, pay, etc. Maybe they don't want to extend your five year contract... Before I had trust in management, now I don't. I think they will be a huge carrier and will have thousands of pilots, but I don't think I want to be a part of this.

"Those are in fact the new rates. Read it and weep.__________________
Along for the ride!!!! Woooohoooo...................... "

B6Busdriver,
Read it and weep? Do you realize that you didn't score anything for the profession? You shoot and your own feet and think you are going somewhere? Not sure where the bottom is but whoever didn't think there was a race to the bottom should start looking around. I don't understand how it could be so exciting riding that wave. What makes you think that having such low pilot rates will enable you to beat out the competition? Good management and utilization will have a vastly larger impact. I guess part of good management is making you think that your lower wages are needed...score one point for management and minus one for pilots.

I am glad to see that at least some of the JB pilots are opening their eyes. Obviously, this forum has zero reliability in an accurate poll, but if one were to assume that some of the comments are "the tip of the iceberg" there are more that feel this way.

I remember the discussion about the extension of the 8/24 rule. My comments always ended that you simply can not trust management. Those comments were always slammed by some of the stout JB pilots as "never happening here....this is a different company...etc. etc." I think this is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

Some have said there was no outcry about the JB A-320 rates when they started flying. A true statement. However, it is an invalid comparison. JB is now a thriving, successful carrier and each and every pilot over there should be very concerned because this will be indicative of the position your management will take in future wage and benefit negotiations. And a company with your stature needs to pay more, have a true retirement plan as well as other perks that your pilots have earned and deserved. You are a important part of your company and those items should not be overlooked.

Unionization the answer???? Hardly. I am not a firm believer in the magic wand of a union. Time and again ALPA has eaten their own. However, at the least, the unions have prevented this type of blatant unilateral actions in which the very least, their was pilot input given. I state again, there will never be a union at JB because rest assured those who try or who are rumored to be a part of a campaign will not get their 5 year contract renewed. I know, I've read about the some of you "old timers" there who scoff at this idea. Maybe so, but history of airline management has shown it;s true colors time and again. And that color is not going to contain Blue.

JB Bus Drvr said:
And aren't those guys supposed to be taken care of by their unions. You know, the folks they paid a lot of money to look out for them. If you think our payscales are bringing down the industry, then call, write or e-mail your LEC or MEC and tell them to fight for you. I really hope everything works out for all of us, but again, don't flame us because things are going OK.
Typical Union Misunderstanding.

Unions are a resource not a service. One doesn't call their LEC/MEC and tell them to fight. You call your LEC/MEC and ask, what's the best tool/weapon to use and how do I use it? And do you have this tool? Your dues paid for the tool but you gotta pick it up and use it.......

TonyC said:
First post in a week - - it was good to get around the world, literally, but I've gotta lotta reading to catch up on. :eek:

It appears that most of the ground that I might have trampled on this topic has already been covered, with the exception of this:

How is it that the pilots of JetBlue can on the one hand condemn those outsiders who might level objections to the style of management and the degree of blind followership that this very successful airline enjoys, and then be so quick to divorce themselves of any responsibility in the process that produces such insulting pay rates? It's not us, it's management! Hey, they did it and they didn't even ask us! What happened to "We're all one big happy family, drinking the same juice."? If it's "We think this about cleaning airplanes" and "We think this about lengthening duty limits" why isn't it "We think RJ pay rates should be low."?

My point is this: The process that is now in place is only there because pilots have signed contracts, pilots have made themselves willing pawns in the hands of management, and pilots really have no voice in the process. Or am I wrong? Because if I'm wrong, if pilots DO have a voice, then the pilots are just as much to blame as the management whom so many of you are now daring to accuse of making a mistake, missing the boat, or inviting unionism. (And who was it that said it wasn't really Needleman's fault?!?! Talk about talking out of both sides of the face!! Needleman's a saint if you like everything, and when something goes wrong he obviously had no part?!?! Gimme a break!)

Your hands are not clean.
TonyC,

What kind of management are you referring to? What you have to realize is that until now, the management at jetBlue has done well by its employees and fostered a healthy working environment for everyone on the property. There was also a basic understanding that, at the infancy of a company in a very turbulent industry, that certain concessions were needed to ensure the ultimate survivability. However, as the first contract was coming to an end, and with the continued profitability and increasing success here at JB, there was a certain expectation that there would be a competitive rate given to the -190 and possibly another raise for the airbus. There were several in this forum who stated that there were rumors of an announcement at JB coming that would make the -190 announcement seem like chicken feed---well we got it that's for sure, just not in the way we wanted. I truly believe that Dave and David care about the employees here at JB, but this was a devistating mistake on their part.

Yeah, Tony, we signed contracts. So Fuc%ing what. That's how JB, without the benefit of having a collective bargaining agreement, defines the rules and pay at JB. Absent of a union, how would you have us set boundaries by which we work here? Does that mean, right now, that we have very limited power and control over how those rules and pay are manipulated? Yes. Is it frustrating? Yes. As I mentioned before, there are several other issues besides pay that JB pilots have issues with. I think we all were sitting back and waiting for this decision to see if the Mgmt would continue to do the right thing. Well, we may have just gotten our answer. There are a lot of pi$$ed off pilots right now. A senior member of our values committee resigned his position on that committee over this. So what you are seeing in this forum is, indeed, the tip of the iceburg.

We're no different than any other professional pilot out there. We want to fly great airplanes, we want great work rules with competitive pay and spend a lot of time at home with our families. So Tony, before you go looking down your nose, shaking your head like a condescending father, realize that there is a lot of crap going on behind the scenes that you have no idea about.

Heywood Jiblome said:
TonyC,

So Tony, before you go looking down your nose, shaking your head like a condescending father, realize that there is a lot of crap going on behind the scenes that you have no idea about.

Looks to me like Tony was only calling you guys out based upon your previous pronouncements of management magnanimity. He wasn't looking down his nose at you.

Calvin, he'd look down his nose, but not Tony.

Hobbes

whyohwhy said:
heywood,

My sentiments exactly!!

I fear that this is the first real blunder by David and Dave.

I don't want a union as much as the next guy (yes, I'm a furloughee who's been there done that), but when you compare an in-house union like SWPA to what we've got, kind of makes you wonder??

Still trying to be optimistic...
SWPA buys the Economic and Financial Analysis (E&FA) services of ALPA. As do the American Pilots (APA).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back